• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is there life after bypass??? You bet ya!!

SARAH S

Here comes the new me
5 weeks and 2 days post
Well this week is Falmouth Oyster Festival and a very busy time for us as we have a stand there, this will be our 3rd year.

Yesterday I walked around the event and realised that previously I would have just grazed my way all the food stands calling in at the bars on route. I felt a bit of a twang inside, it must be said, at the thought that this wouldn't be possible now.:sigh:

I really love seafood and a decent glass of wine:)

I went home to my home made curry and rested as chasing around has wiped me out a bit this week

However today I have shared a lunch of Seafood Platter ( I had 3 small prawns, 2 Crevettes a tsp of crab meat and a mussel) He had the rest.:D

Then this evening we went to a restaurant and I ordered a med rare steak ( I told the chef I had a fat intolerance, he was lovely and offered me salad instead of fries etc but my little girl was sharing with me) They were all fantastic, plated the steak, mushroom and cherry toms together, then all the fried stuff was on another plate. They even made me a salad dressed with just lemon juice and balsamic - I couldn't have asked for better treatment:D:D:D

I managed about a matchbox sized piece of the steak, that was cooked to perfection, soft, moist and tender. About a quarter of a flat mushroom and a cherry tomato - delicious:D Youngest ate rest of steak and a few fries and eldest turned up and polished off the rest:eek:

My husband, I think has also been reassured as we would have done this before and are already doing our "normal" things - Fabulous:D Also I'm VERY cheap to run now:8855:

So Is there life after Bypass??? - you bet ya!! And I'm all ready to live it:D:D

As a minor aside I lost 3lb last week too!

wooooooooohooooooo you go girl xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I had a wooble when i thought i would never have a mince pie again lol

Thanks for sharing that Sarah , its possitive for us still waiting .
You enjoy life to the full & show hubbub a new wife lol xx

A very very big WELL DONE..!

:happy096:
I love to read post's where people have really embraced their new lives. For you to admit that you felt a tug inside at the thought of not having something you loved so much, is a really good indicator that you have the will power and motivation to make this op a sucess. You seem so positive, it's refreshing to see that someone is experiencing the same happiness and change as me. I wish you health and happiness in your future and hope you go from strength to strength.
xxx​

I've always tried the seafood diets ... see food and eat it!!!!! :17729:

Sorry ... the old ones are the worst!!! :p:sign0007:

Sarah ... FANTASTIC!!! Just to prove that gastric surgery certainly can help you to live a new life!!! :happy096:

Well done ... thank you for sharing that!! xxxx

:talk017:

:happy096:​

I love to read post's where people have really embraced their new lives. For you to admit that you felt a tug inside at the thought of not having something you loved so much, is a really good indicator that you have the will power and motivation to make this op a sucess. You seem so positive, it's refreshing to see that someone is experiencing the same happiness and change as me. I wish you health and happiness in your future and hope you go from strength to strength.​

xxx​

Thank you for such lovely words, I was really touched. I never considered the relevance of my feelings but was just thrilled to be able to enjoy the whole of the day:D

I do consider myself very fortunate to have had the support of my family to enable me to have this op and like to believe that I will be successful for me and them :D:D

Congratulations on your weight loss so far and I'd like to wish you every success in your life as you continue to acheive your goals:)

Also from your stat I see you're off to Florida I'm guessing from your signature that you've been before - Fanastic isn't it? I'm really looking forward to our next visit hopefully next year as a new slimmer me :D

Sarah, thanks for sharing!! Sounds like you had a great time!!

Rather reminds me of something I saw in Whitby this summer. My husband and I had gone out to dinner, and in the restaurant we were seated on the next table to another couple about this same age as us. Anyway, the guy had ordered a huge lobster platter, with all kinds of other bits of seafood on the side. Now his partner was incredibly slender, and was just sipping at a small glass of white wine. However, once he had ploughed his way through about half his mountain of food, she took a half slice of brown bread with some mashed lobster, a couple of tomatoes, a slice of cucumber and a little lettuce, and at that moment I just knew!!

Now, to any onlookers who know about these things, they probably thought just as I did about this couple. Cause I looked at Robin, and said, "see, we will be able to go out"!!

Sounds like you had a great time though xxxxx

Thank you for such lovely words, I was really touched. I never considered the relevance of my feelings but was just thrilled to be able to enjoy the whole of the day:D

I do consider myself very fortunate to have had the support of my family to enable me to have this op and like to believe that I will be successful for me and them :D:D

Congratulations on your weight loss so far and I'd like to wish you every success in your life as you continue to acheive your goals:)

Also from your stat I see you're off to Florida I'm guessing from your signature that you've been before - Fanastic isn't it? I'm really looking forward to our next visit hopefully next year as a new slimmer me :D

Sarah, you should be so proud, I'm proud of you and you're a stranger lol.

Without support from friends and family, this would be a whole different ball game and like you my hubby and family have been fabulous. You are and will continue to be the best you can be.

Thank you, my weightloss has trully surprised me and I am embracing my new shape and I feel so much more full of life.

I am indeed off to Florida in Sept 2012 :happy036:. I was there in 2009 on my honeymoon and I fell in love with the place. Plus, they were building The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter whilst we were there and we said then that we would be back. There was 12 of us there last time and there will be 10 of us this time. It's going to be fantastic being able to queue knowing 'I WILL' deffo fit in the seat. Go for it girl, get it booked..! Oh, and I'm doing my usual trip of a week in Cornwall next year too. Sorry for rambling but I do love my holidays lol xxx

I am so pleased that you are taking to your solid food so well honey. That was a fabulous and truly inspiring post. As you know I am just a week behind you and so have had great encouragement from all your posts on your progress. I know I am making you sound a bit like my guinea pig but I am sure you know what I mean :D. In one fell swoop you have removed any concerns I had about my next week when I move on to "foods for life". I cant wait to try steak and salad for myself very soon :p

You go girl! You are doing so well :D

So glad you had a really great day, Sarah ... makes you realise just how much we miss in life by just sitting on the sidelines. We are going to New Zealand next year to visit family & up to getting my op I would not even consider it. 24hrs on a plane as a fatty :eek::eek: Whole new life opening up :)
Hope all pre op'ers take heart from Sarah's journey ... she is a star xxx :):)

Thak you all for your wonderful posts, I'm flattered that anyone feels that I can help them and if thats true then I'm truly thrilled.:D

Holidays are going to be so much more fun from now on and I for one am getting excited and reading the posts on here I can sense all your excitement too:)

Look out world us soon to be slimmies are about to be let loose:D:D:D:D

It always bugs me that people say you cant live a normal life after surgery as i was told before the op, BULLSHIT i lead a very normal life and one i treasure, my surgeon Mr Ammori told me to remember this " eat less quantity but better quality" and thats exactly what i do, to all people who think that there life will change for the worse after surgery trust me it doesnt, what happens is your mind set changes to eat a more healthy balanced diet with the odd treat chucked in, i am very lucky to have had my second opportunity at life and i for one will make damn sure i grab it with both hands.

It always bugs me that people say you cant live a normal life after surgery as i was told before the op, BULLSHIT i lead a very normal life and one i treasure, my surgeon Mr Ammori told me to remember this " eat less quantity but better quality" and thats exactly what i do, to all people who think that there life will change for the worse after surgery trust me it doesnt, what happens is your mind set changes to eat a more healthy balanced diet with the odd treat chucked in, i am very lucky to have had my second opportunity at life and i for one will make damn sure i grab it with both hands.

Couldn't have put it better myself lol..! x

Glad you had such a great day and thanks for sharing. There are a lot of us who haven't had surgery yet who are curious to hear how it goes for those of you who have! :)

Sounds awesome. I am 17 days post op and still on liquids. Can not wait to eat something with texture though.
Just a bit confused though as my doc told me to have liquids first 4 weeks, then purée for four weeks, then only 'real food'. I'm also bypass. Were you told you can eat solids after five weeks? And guessing you took to it ok?

Sounds awesome. I am 17 days post op and still on liquids. Can not wait to eat something with texture though.
Just a bit confused though as my doc told me to have liquids first 4 weeks, then purée for four weeks, then only 'real food'. I'm also bypass. Were you told you can eat solids after five weeks? And guessing you took to it ok?

Everyone is different when it comes to time lines. All I can suggest is that after 4 or 5 weeks you test yourself. Don't go mental and be careful but see what works and what doesn't. You may find that your taste bud's will change in this liquid puree stage as I used to love certain stuff and can't entertain it now. Beetroot for example, loved it and I'd eat half a jar at a time, but now the thought of it makes me gag lol... I had sleeve surgery and was given the same post op diet as you and stuck to it by the letter as I didn't want there to be any comeback if I didn't do as well as expected. Just take your time and don't rush your recovery, you'll still be very badly beaten inside and the last thing you wanna do is go making yourself ill. Patience is a virtue and good things come to those that wait and.... Nah I'm all out of those silly quotes that make no sense lol. Take care and do yourself proud xxx

My diet sheet told me 2 weeks fluids, then 3rd & 4th week puree (sloppy baby food style) 5th & 6th week mashed (ie toddler style) From week 7 "normal" foods gradually introduced.

I had an appointment with the dietician and my surgeon exactly 4 weeks post and The surgeon told me to start on solid foods then, I have very carefully and slowly introduced "normal" food and so far haven't had any problems.

Please do not deviate from your diet sheets, they will have been specificly designed for you and where you are in your weight loss program.

I certainly wasn't expecting to be eating normal foods for another couple of weeks:)

It will be worth waiting for and you need to understand your pouch and its needs so take your time.....when you are allowed you'll find that you select different, better choices. I think its because you realise that not much is going to go in so I now pick things that I really fancy and the best that I can have.:D

Good luck:)

Back