• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

is there some way..

LiL_PSyChO

to find out if your pct will fund any kind of weight loss surgery before speaking to gp about it?

I've been thinking about it for years but never quite had the guts to ask and I've got a bit of money saved but not enough for the whole thing, lol

I feel that if I know it's available in my area I can be a bit more persistent if my gp tries to fob me off

erm...........I have no idea to be honest....try your gp....what can it hurt? and if you do find out it's available in your area you can ask again if he said no the previous time.

xx

to find out if your pct will fund any kind of weight loss surgery before speaking to gp about it?

I've been thinking about it for years but never quite had the guts to ask and I've got a bit of money saved but not enough for the whole thing, lol

I feel that if I know it's available in my area I can be a bit more persistent if my gp tries to fob me off

Hi Lil PSyCHO:D

Coming from someone who recently had weightloss surgery on the NHS my advice would be to go straight to your GP, if you have any health problems then your doctor should be more sympathetic but even if you don't have problems with your health now...being overweight carries risks in itself aswell your GP knows....be persistant.

Good luck

love

Thanks you both :)

I've been reading your thread bondgirl, which is what inspired me to ask the question really. I've been letting my weight interfere with the rest of my life cos it's stolen so much of my confidence.. I don't apply for the jobs I know I'm capable of and qualified for and I'm getting more and more reluctant to go out, only doing it when I absolutely have to because I hate people judging me on my appearance, does that make sense?

I've been lucky in that my health is not really affected other than that i'm not as fit as I should be at my age, although I am going to ask my doctor to run some tests on my thyroid n stuff when I see him tomorrow... might just drop the surgery into the convo too to plant the seed in his mind ;)

Good luck -and as i think someone mentioned on another thread - there is always the option of going abroad where it is much cheaper and excellent care!

Thanks you both :)

I've been reading your thread bondgirl, which is what inspired me to ask the question really. I've been letting my weight interfere with the rest of my life cos it's stolen so much of my confidence.. I don't apply for the jobs I know I'm capable of and qualified for and I'm getting more and more reluctant to go out, only doing it when I absolutely have to because I hate people judging me on my appearance, does that make sense?

I've been lucky in that my health is not really affected other than that i'm not as fit as I should be at my age, although I am going to ask my doctor to run some tests on my thyroid n stuff when I see him tomorrow... might just drop the surgery into the convo too to plant the seed in his mind ;)

Hi Lil:D

If you have really considered WLS and researched all the options then do not just drop it into the conversation if it is really what you want then approach your Doctor and explain how the weight is affecting your whole life and getting you down......only do this if you really do think WLS is for you.

The reason my GP didn't have a problem referring me was not only my health problems(sever asthma) but my determination to have thios done....the GP I asked to refer me is the strictest GP in the surgery and approaching her I told her any of the other GP's could have referred me but I wanted to go through her to show my commitment to this.

Good luck into whatever you decide to do....even if you get referred to talk to a surgeon that doesn't mean you have to have made your mind up afterall the surgeon will give you great advice too...but at least if you do decide its the way forward for you then you already have the ball rolling.

Love

well.. saw my gp on monday.. had a really long chat about all kinds of things, mentioned the wls and he smiled and said let's check out a few things first and sent me for a load of blood tests for thyroid, diabetes n all sorts. Sooo.. we'll see what happens next i guess :)

thing is.. I'm not a massive eater, even my kids have bigger appetite than me and when I do try and diet, I find it a really hard struggle to lose even a couple of pounds, even with cambridge.. my last counsellor thought I was cheating like a mofo when I was sticking rigidly to it and not making any progress so maybe gp is right to run some tests first.

well.. saw my gp on monday.. had a really long chat about all kinds of things, mentioned the wls and he smiled and said let's check out a few things first and sent me for a load of blood tests for thyroid, diabetes n all sorts. Sooo.. we'll see what happens next i guess :)

thing is.. I'm not a massive eater, even my kids have bigger appetite than me and when I do try and diet, I find it a really hard struggle to lose even a couple of pounds, even with cambridge.. my last counsellor thought I was cheating like a mofo when I was sticking rigidly to it and not making any progress so maybe gp is right to run some tests first.

Of course your GP was right if you struggled with CD then maybe there is a physical reason you are unable to lose weight and if that is discovered the GP will be able to treat the cause.

good luck

well.. I got my test results and they all came back as normal.. not sure wht to do now.. got an apptment with gp next week soo....... :eek:

Back