• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liz (or any bander) I need you!

prinny

Liz sorry to bug you but I know you will be able to help.Some foods are getting stuckish and causing discomfort but I have been prefering to eat a bit of these as the pain puts me off eating too much! But will this hurt my band or stretch my stomach in any way? When I eat slider foods they tend to be more unhealthy but I don't want to carry on with harder foods if I am doing damage to my band. Any advice would be great. Sorry have no one to ask.

Liz sorry to bug you but I know you will be able to help.Some foods are getting stuckish and causing discomfort but I have been prefering to eat a bit of these as the pain puts me off eating too much! But will this hurt my band or stretch my stomach in any way? When I eat slider foods they tend to be more unhealthy but I don't want to carry on with harder foods if I am doing damage to my band. Any advice would be great. Sorry have no one to ask.

i dont know the exact answer to thati do the same but i make sure i chew very well i eat my salad first to make sure it goes thru and im getting the healthier bit then i eat about two mouthfulls of meat which kills and thats enough

Hi there,

I hope this little bit of info helps.

When I last saw my surgeon, prior to third fill, he asked me if I sensed all the food I ate passing through the band...I honestly told him that unless I had eaten too fast or not chewed enough, then yes but a lot of what I was eating was going through pretty normally.

He said the idea of the band is too make you aware of food going through, so if you do slider foods, you won't feel those and they do you no real favours apart from make life easy. Also over chewed food works the same way. It's striking the right balance and is a learning curve, as each person if different.

He told me that he had only filled me small amounts, so that I could slowly get used to that feeling but now he wanted to up the stakes and not be so kind (LOL), so he did a fill that now makes me aware of any solid food I have.

It should not cause pain, that means you are not chewing enough or eating too fast, but you should feel a little tiny discomfort. This shows the band is working efficiently.

I have also been told to try either rice, pasta or untoasted bread once a week. If it goes through easy, then I need another fill. If it gives me the sensations of tightness but not pain then I am ok.

Rice, bread and pasta should be used as marker foods. To test the band. I can only manage 1 slice of bread if it is toasted and even then I get that feeling. I only have about 2 slices a week max these days. As for pasta and rice, no way...

rice

another silly question but why do people with bands have so much trouble with rice ? rice is so little surely it would just slide down ? now i know from all your experiences you know it is a no no ,but why???

Thanks guys, I am gonna avoid the easy go down foods. I can eat pasta and rice but not bread and meat. I also struggle with chips ha ha and can only manage a couple. I think I am going for another fill but might have it done under xray. Cheers Caz and serenity I was really worried I might be doing the band harm by eating the rough stuff.

another silly question but why do people with bands have so much trouble with rice ? rice is so little surely it would just slide down ? now i know from all your experiences you know it is a no no ,but why???

Rice and pasta swell in the stomach after you eat it, it's not massively nutritious, as compared to say proteins and makes us too full. Also it's kinda sticky too, hence why it gets stuck.

Hi Prinny - can't help as I'm new to this whole new world of post WLS. Hope you get it sorted. Didn't want to read 'n' run.

Caz what foods are you getting by on then if you don't mind me asking? I have been living on scrambled egg with cheese and baked spuds! I have also been having salads but am running out of ideas. I am crap at cooking so dont want to do anything fancy!

I love cooking and experimenting. I think as our food is limited, we should give ourselves the nicest and best quality we can.

The things I eat and tolerate well are:-

Gammon
Chicken thighs, the meat is easier to digest (great tip from surgeon) and I usually just stick them in a dish, with herbs, a bit of salt and pepper and dry roast them. Or maybe add some olives and garlic.
Faggots in sauce.
Meatballs in sauce.
Sausages - I get them from butchers, they are leaner with less fat and I always grill them.
Turkey...love this, low fat, high protein.
Mince - in all forms.
Pork, very small amounts.
Lamb, now and then.
Beef, now and then.

Salmon - my all time fave as are all seafoods.

I use cous cous instead of rice, as I seem to cope well with this and it comes in packets, already flavoured, pour boiling water over it, three minutes later - voila!

I love all veg and salad.

I love mash, either potato or root vegetables.

I cope with cereal well and all fruits, dried and fresh.

Yoghurt, fat free.

Cheese - all kinds

Eggs are ok, but if overcooked a nightmare.

I cannot do anything bready or cakey but can cope with the odd biscuit.

I love exotic and strong flavours, so add a lot of these to things I cook.

hi prinny im sorry i wasnt here to respond earlier to your question, caz has pretty much answered how i would of done and covered the answers to your question. its all trial and error to what food densities/types can be eaten for the restiction level felt at the time. its all about finding the right food consistancy for your level of restriction and eating whats best for that point in your journey.

you wont damage your band/pouch, but your now learning the "feeling" we get when foods is eaten to quickly or not chewed enough, if foods put in faster than it can pass thro the band hole, the "feeling" comes its learning to work with that feeling and stop eating the meal. its hard to ajust to and learning this, but once its conquered then u can work with the band and what your body is telling you.

the more sloppy/wet the food is then its a slider food that means a bigger more comftable portion, but also means more calories can be consumed with out any discomfort, i use slider foods to suit me for example if i have to eat out on rare occasions so i dont have to run of and be sick, but in my own home i eat the more dense foods as it fills me quicker off a few mouthfulls and i know when the "feelings" there to stop eating and bin the rest of the meal, going back to a meal after the feelings felt isnt good as its extra calory consumption we do not need.

sorry for the long post.

liz xx

Last edited:
:D Thanks Liz, It's really helpful. I would have no where else to get this info and I know it seems like I am always asking questions but I know you lot are experienced! Cheers again.

:D Thanks Liz, It's really helpful. I would have no where else to get this info and I know it seems like I am always asking questions but I know you lot are experienced! Cheers again.

hey prinny thats no problem ask away thats what we are here for xxx

Back