• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

It's not clear to me, can someone please explain

BeaBea

Hi

I am currently going through the process i.e. waiting for a gastric bypass like so many other people on here. I am more informed about what is happening and questions to ask the Consultant next time I see him. May be I'm a bit slow, but who applies for funding is it my GP or the Consultant? When does this happen?

Thank you Beth

Hi,

It varies from area to area unfortunately so unless someone on here has been through the process in Nottingham you're unlikely to get a definate answer sorry.

it depends on your route to surgery. GP's can apply for funding (like mine did), but if you have to go through a weight management clinic (like many do) then the hospital may apply. depends on your pct and hospital...where do you live?

hiya hun with me i went doc and asked to be refered for op a few wks later i recieved a letter sayin i have funding and will recieve an apt in 4 to 6 wks and i did my apt is nxt wk for my assesment which is tests and a talk and slide show of op and then i will wait for tests to come back get another appointment and then hopefully recieve my diet sheets for pre op and then op hopefully as ive been told this is how it works at the hosp im goin to but it is dif for dif areas and hosps hope this helps hun im goin to the murryfirled spire hosp on the wirral linda.x

Hi Pinky thanks for that. At my first and only appointment so far, I saw the dietician, she asked me to cut down portion size and cut out snacks, which I've pretty much done.

The Consultant asked loads of questions, showed me a video of the two surgical procedures i.e. band and bypass, he suggested the bypass. He gave me some rough dates for surgery, but when that was from I am not sure at all. Anyway he also asked me to walk for an hour a day. This has been pretty touch because I have a really bad knee, well I've done my best so far. No mention of funding. I am expecting my next appointment early October they don't appear to send these out until a week before.

Thanks again ...

Phone the hospital your surgeon is at and ask for his secretary or the bariatric team.Ask them who gets your funding.You should get an answer,ask if has been applied for yet.Take the secretarys name and number,for future use!

Ive done over 12 months at wm and no funding has been applied for yet!See him again on 25th so hope to find out more then!

Hi Bea, I have added you as a friend hope you dont mind. We are both at Derby Royal it seems and more or less at same point. My dietician appt is on 16th Oct. I have been walking every other day for an hour and walking much more generally in between. I have arthritis in my knee. Tried swimming every other day but its just not possible with a nine year old and a full time job. I'm on facebook as Rachel Hayes was peck, im blonde in the pic lol, if you are on fb please feel free to add me. xx

i went to gp. he aplied for funding and i got a letter saying id got funding to go to bariatric clinic. 3 months later saw surgeon who asked questions and explained procedures. we agreed on bypass. received letter from him and then went to dietician anaethist and physch in following months. xx

Dr aplied for me, took a couple of weeks to come through.
Didn't have to do wm. It was a slow process at the begining but now things are happening fast.

Back