• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've BOOKED it ... EEEK im scared now !!

GuRlyGiRL

Live Laugh Love
Evening everyone,

Im so excited, nervous, scared thinking have I done the right thing...Ive booked my op for the 24 October with the WLS Group. I am on my 14 day pre-op diet (no carbs). Any advice would be handy, what to pack in hospital bag. Also I didnt realise that I have to give myself injections for blood clots after :confused:

Thanks Gaynor, haha I dont have a clue what a "sticky" is and where do I find it LOL xxx

Sticky's are at the top of the page before the posts but it looks like they've had a clear out because I can't find he hospital bag one lol. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us where to find it. If not we will all give you some idea of what you will need xxx

Hi Cazbandy, no not that I am aware of? I havent read anywhere about injecting yourself after the op for blood clots. Maybe I will phone them tomorrow and ask about the question again ??

I thought everyone had the injections, I have had clots before so I have to have 1 a day for a month after the op, but Im sure most have them for a few days.
Good Luck with you op :D You will be fine X

i had to inject myself with heparin for 5 days after i got home, i had a bypass, but had no indications of problems with clots, i think everyone at my hospital, salford royal, has them, oh and i had to wear sexy green surgical sock things for 2 weeks, they even gave me a spare pair to bring home with me.

Hi, we worry about all things, but you will be fine and you dont have long to wait now do you. Good Luck xxx

Hi there, I had to do 10 days of injections and am not at any particular fisk of clots, I just think some surgeons do it as standard. I went with WLS group too and they have been fantastic up to now. The injections are nothing to worry about. You have to talk yourself into the first one and after that its a doddle, nothing to worry about.

Hi

All WLS Group surgeons prescribe clexane after a band op. I had to inject for 5 days post op. Dont worry the nurse will show you what to do, its pretty straight forward.

Good luck with your pre op x

Evening everyone,

Im so excited, nervous, scared thinking have I done the right thing...Ive booked my op for the 24 October with the WLS Group. I am on my 14 day pre-op diet (no carbs). Any advice would be handy, what to pack in hospital bag. Also I didnt realise that I have to give myself injections for blood clots after :confused:

Hey! Congrats!! :D

Things that i would recommend taking to hospitl with you would be: plenty of knickers, a few nighties, sanitary pads (surgery can bring on a period even if you have just had one), something to occupy you if you arnt first down e.g magazine, ds lite ect., if you dont like water you could take in no added sugar squash or really light ribena, hairbrush, mini fan, face wipes (for instant relief!). urm, cant think of anything else but im sure others will come up with more.

Yup i had to inject myself for 10 days after my op and a bander who i was with had to inject herself for 5 days after so its not uncommon :) xxxxx

Yay, you go girl. I promise, it will be the beginning of your life, you won't regret it!

The injections are totally standard, some providers prescribe them, some don't. I had to do 7 days of clexane injections; I wasn't high risk but it was standard for the hospital I was at. The hospital showed me how to do it & I did the last 5 myself; the needles are really fine so it doesn't hurt, and they gave me a mini-sharps box to safely dispose of the needles at home & you can drop it to your Drs to get rid of when you are done.

As for what to take into hospital...I went toally overboard & didn't use a quarter of what I took! You'll need loose, comfy clothing for when you come out, dressing gown, slippers, nighties (or PJ's), clean knickers, wash stuff inc. face wipes (I took my own towel but the hospital did provide one), mobile phone & charger, trashy mags (you won't feel up to reading anything else), I also took some NAS squash & a mini-fan (bliss). I took ST's, but didn't need them. I was requested by my hospital to take in all current meds I was on too. Everything else I took, & I mean everything, I didn't use.

You are doing the right thing for you & your family, even if they aren't convinced yet, they will be a few months after the op! xxx

Thank you ALL so much for the kind wishes and advice. Im struggling with the pre-op diet..ive got visions of waking up and not have anything done cause my liver is not small enough !!

Great ideas for my hospital bag, thanks. Im so excited and nervous at the same time xxxx

Thank you ALL so much for the kind wishes and advice. Im struggling with the pre-op diet..ive got visions of waking up and not have anything done cause my liver is not small enough !!

Great ideas for my hospital bag, thanks. Im so excited and nervous at the same time xxxx

I know the pre-op is hard hon, I ended up staying on it for 4 weeks as they cancelled my original op date & pushed it back by two weeks the B's! You just have to find a way of keeping busy so you aren't tempted...and keep reminding yourself of why you are doing it xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Angie & Kerry. I keep thinking OMG have I made the right decision, I will never be able to have a pig out day again LOL !!

Back