• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve Joined the gym. Advice please

malazak

Ok so I joined the gym as it's been 10 weeks since op and I need to start really toning what I can.

£15 a month with 24 hour access so I can sneak in at 3 am for some no staring moob wobbling action.

Any advice on what machines I should start with and for how long I should go on these machines for to begin with.

When I first started out at the gym, I was advised to start off wiv cardio, just too build up my strength and too take it easy as I wasnt very fit etc....I was assessed by a p.t and they assessed wot I was capable of and then progressed from there. Ask at your local gym for an induction and they should give u all the help u need, HTH Julie xx

From your description it sounds like you've joined 'Puregym' which means you get no input unless you pay for a personal trainer session.....

Might i suggest you find a fitness forum that you can use alongside this one. I found one and although it takes some time for them to answer (unlike here :) ) they do answer and are helpful xx

Can you book a session with a trainer there? If not some of gyms carry ads for private trainers

If not start off on some CV - walking/running machine, bike, rowing, water wheel if they have one. Also some small resistance to start off with - lots of reps with small weights - don't up the weights yet untill you gain strength and even then only if you want to bulk up.

Good luck - it gets adictive!

Hi all thanks for replies

Its the gym group they do have personal trainers but at cost.

Luckily for me there is always a few gymy type people on hand that im sure would give advice aswell.

Thanks for the input i shall start on the x trainer and bike i think for a week or two then move onto the dumbells.

Firstly at only 10 weeks out you are still to much of a hernia risk to start any resistance training. I was told 12 weeks before lifting anything heavier than a jug of water so before you start any weight training speak to your GP and get them to clear you for it

Cardio is a great place to start and the exercise bikes and ellipticals are great fat burners. Start slowly say 20 minute cardio sessions working toward 45 minutes as you get fitter, then you can start introducing interval training etc to keep your workouts working for you

Cardio is great at burning up our fat stores, but a percentage of the weight you lose will be lean mass too. Muscle loss is your enemy and you want to protect your lean mass with resistance exercise.

You should include both resistance and cardio workouts in your program but only once you have been cleared to do so by your GP.

"Moving onto the Dumbells" is the wrong approach. If you PM me once your GP has cleared you for weight training I'll help you with a program

Back