• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just a quick hello!

JuliaJules

Good day all! Just a quick note to introduce myself. I am 51 years old and have been a serial dieter for about the last 30 or more years! Currently I weigh the most I ever have, even pregnant, and seem to be putting on roughly about a stone a year. I have, therefore, after much deliberating, decided to have a gastric bypass before I get any heavier. My BMI is currently 38 so I am significantly overweight but obviously not eligible for NHS treatment so I am funding this myself. I have wasted years of my life worrying about my weight, dieting, not dieting, bingeing, exercising, not exercising and generally defining myself entirely through my size. This has not only had a very detrimental effect on my mental health but, as I say, the end result has been that I am currently heavier than ever, and getting more so. I just feel exhausted with the effort of it all - hence my decision! I have to say I am excited but also pretty scared but it is great to have found this forum and to get so much inspiration from everyone on here! Looking forward to getting to know you all better in the coming weeks. Julia xx

Hi Julia, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on making the decision to have WLS, I had my band fitted in Feb2016 and its one of the best things I have ever done. They're a friendly bunch on here and ever so supportive.

Have you booked your surgery yet x

Hi Julia and welcome ! I'm a newbie Bander myself , self funded also , and not regretting anything ! I feel amazing .
Mindy
Xxxxxx

Hi Julia! Welcome to the forum. Where are you having your surgery?

I am a newbie too- welcome

Hi Julia! Welcome to the forum. Where are you having your surgery?
Taunton Nuffield. Not sure who the surgeon will be yet but I hear they are all very good at that particular centre and I know that one of them, Richard Welbourn, is something of a pioneer in the field so I think I will be in safe hands!

Welcome from one newbie to another xx
Hi Tracey-Anne - daunting isn't it!!! I saw your post this morning - keep you chin up - you will soon be there. I feel quite terrified about the thought of the two week LRD which is stupid because it is a means to an end but I think, after literally years of dieting, I am so predisposed to fail at them that it just seems so daunting! Let me know how you are getting on tho. Are you having a bypass?

Hi Julia and welcome ! I'm a newbie Bander myself , self funded also , and not regretting anything ! I feel amazing .
Mindy
Xxxxxx
You are doing so well - obviously getting on really well with your band. Did you decide on that for any particular reason - I have decided on bypass even though it is so expensive, but I am feeling a bit wobbly about it all at the moment.

Hi Julia, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on making the decision to have WLS, I had my band fitted in Feb2016 and its one of the best things I have ever done. They're a friendly bunch on here and ever so supportive.

Have you booked your surgery yet x
Hi Neticak - think it is going to be on the 8th of June!!!! I see that you are a bit like me in that you have less to lose than some other people. I am beginning to wonder if I should go for the band instead - what do you think, what was your thinking behind band versus bypass? Thanks.

Hi Julia,

To be honest when I initially looked into weight loss surgery back in 2013 it was the band that was recommended to me so I never looked into the sleeve. Now what I've had the surgery I have realised that it is by no means a quick fix and it is more a tool to assist you. In comparison to some of my other friends on here I have lost less than them but I'm quite pleased with the results x

You are doing so well - obviously getting on really well with your band. Did you decide on that for any particular reason - I have decided on bypass even though it is so expensive, but I am feeling a bit wobbly about it all at the moment.
Hi
To be honest the decision to have surgery came about after a family meal , where they all suddenly chipped in with money pledges .. That was October last year . It was a whirl wind .. I had to raise the rest , which was hard and that's why I had to settle on the band as that's all the money I could get and I wasn't going to go into debt ...
Mindy
Xxx

Hi Tracey-Anne - daunting isn't it!!! I saw your post this morning - keep you chin up - you will soon be there. I feel quite terrified about the thought of the two week LRD which is stupid because it is a means to an end but I think, after literally years of dieting, I am so predisposed to fail at them that it just seems so daunting! Let me know how you are getting on tho. Are you having a bypass?
Hi no I'm having the sleeve on Tuesday ... the first week was great and the weight comes off but today I just found it a struggle and have only had 1 point of milk so far ..but plenty of water but it will be worth it ... I'll keep my chins up xxx lol

Hi @JuliaJules I'm still quite new here too. I'm starting the LRD tomorrow and I know what you mean about being used to failing diets so I am thinking of this as a medical necessity not a diet because that's what it is.
Remind me I said that when I start going nuts at some point in the next 11days ok?!

Back