• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just had my pre-op @ Taunton

angie790

Hi all,

Haven't been on for a few days, busy busy busy at work but the date for my pre-op finally arrived yesterday & I thought I'd post how it went, for anyone interested who might be attending the Musgrove at Taunton.

Appt went ok, although somewhat bizarre!!!! I arrived about 40 mins before my appt time, so checked in with the admin staff & was going to go off & have a coffee but they advised me to stay put as they were trying to get people in a quickly as possible. As it was I didn’t get seen until about my appt time anyway!

Saw the bariatric surgery nurse first, who ran through a load of stuff that had been covered in a previous group ‘education session’ & she gave me a huge form to fill in & a load of requests for bloods. Once I had finished with her, she told me to go & get my bloods done, but before I could head off there, I got hollered at & hauled back by another nurse (aka Nurse Hilter, who I later found out was co-ordinating all the appts) who then sent off to have a peak-flow test, oxygen sats, MRSA swab & ECG (had to take all upper clothes off & they were slinging my boobs everywhere to stick on the sticky things…..traumatised or what).

I was sent off for my bloods again, but got dragged back again by Nurse Hilter & sent into see the dietician.

After her I finally got sent for my bloods by Nurse Hilter, but she followed me down after a couple of minutes to ask the phlebotomist to do me next as they were waiting for me to see other people. So, I jumped a massive queue to get them done (had 7 vials drawn & have a really sore arm this morning!!!), but was chatting to the lady. She was lovely & was telling me the bariatric team were trying this new system to try & see as many people as possible, but it obviously wasn’t working very well!

I was then dragged straight in to see the pre-op assessment nurse and then shunted to the anaesthetist (who was rather yummy). He got me to open my mouth & looked at my neck, to assess tube access.

Finally, saw the head surgeon Mr Welbourn who was a small, really rather strange man. He went through everything again, but spoke so quickly & quietly it was quite hard to understand him! Asked him a few questions which he totally misunderstood & went off on one talking about something totally different! Asked me about what I was doing in my PhD, so I told him…to which he replied: ‘Sounds all very interesting but I have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!’. I had to lay down so he could feel my tummy & told me I only need to do 1 week liver shrinking diet, then before I had even realised what had happened, he sort of got me in an arm lock & wrenched me into an upright position (totally bizarre, fat as I am, I can sit up from a lying down position with no problem, but as OH later pointed out, possibly alot of the people he sees probably can’t). Anyway, still reeling from being wrestled, he finished off by offering me biopsy tissue if I needed any in collaborative work with the hospital!!!!!!!!

I was trying to be really serious etc, but was completely thrown & was dying with laughter inside….not every day one gets offered human tissue samples!!!!!

Anyway, after all that, he says no problem at all with going ahead with the op, so I now go on the waiting list…I have to be done within 18 weeks, which if I have to wait the full 18 weeks, is by the last week in November.

Dammit, going to be eating baby food over Xmas, but I suppose at least it means I won’t put on the obligatory half a stone by stuffing my fat face over the Xmas hols!

If I don’t hear anything from them within 2 weeks, I am going to ring & start chasing them up for a date, as I'll need plenty of notice for OH & my work. So, there we go….totally weird experience, but one step closer!

Last edited:
Yeaaahhhh, great news :D Your doc sounds like a right one :D The way your appointment was run sounds like the One Stop Clinic at Salford. I was there about 5 hours, but everything was done on the same day so it saves time. Good luck on getting your date :D X

p.s. Dya want any human tissue :D

oooo angie good luck :) made me laugh (sorrrry) when you said he helped you up... hehe.... xx

LOL!!!! Poor Angie!!! Yes he's unique isn't he, but really sweet once you get to know him...first thing he said to me on a post op appointment (after I had lost a lot of weight) was "Oh you have a neck"
He's a bit shy I think and not a people person but he does a damn fine job xxx
Sorry you had to put up with some harsh treatment...reminds me of watching the Victorian Pharmacy show the other night...be thankful there were no leeches!!!!
At least that icky stuff is done now love x

Ha ha, I forgot to tell you that he likes pulling you up from a lying position on the couch, actually one of the nurses did pre warn me, so I was waiting for it lol.
He is very shy, I thought he was going to do my op as he had said so in the morning when he came to see me, but someone else did it, as mine was straightforward, although Welbourn was overseeing it like a hawk apparently. xxxx

Wow! Angie sounds pretty different to the appointment that i had, i must have been lucky! I saw Mr Mahon he had soft hands :D!! At least now you have a time frame, i'm still gutted that i had to move my surgery date from July to September, but hey on the plus side i feel more ready for my op, the one thing i will say (from my experience with them) is that although my surgery is due in september they will not/can not tell you to far in advance due to beds in HDU Amanda told me when i rang last week that i will hear by the end of the 1st wk in August at the earliest poss the 2nd wk, don't wanna put a downer on things for ya but thought i should warn you, Em xx

Thanks for your comments everyone. He was very thorough, I think the main problem was everything so was blooming rushed & I ended up being the last person in to see him, hence why I think everything was such a whirlwind! I have the utmost confidence in him & his team, as he comes very highly regarded. I personally just think if Nurse Hilter handn't been cracking the whip & had everything going at 90mph, I would have felt slightly less ambushed, lol! Still, no matter, just waiting for a date now! xxx

It all sounds very intense Angie! but kind of funny........

From my knowledge of surgeons they're not often 'people persons'....they like their people asleep!
Just being nosey now...what's your phD in? Do you want some tissue? i'm sure I could spare some! :D
........I'm halfway through a Masters but it's home study and I'm so blinkin disorganised/demotivated/distracted (I can't think of anything except wls!) I've had to get a year's extension!

Hi Charis,

Predominantly my research is within type II diabetes, looking at the effects of fatty acids on pancreatic beta-cell viability. Much of what I am looking at is cell signalling pathways & molecular mechanisms of cell survival or cell death, with a view to possibly finding therapeutic treatments to stop the onset or progression of type II diabetes.

The irony is the increasing global diabetes pandemic is closely associated to the rising worldwide obesity problem.....& yes, I feel like a tw*t talking about obesity & type II diabetes being a fat cow myself, lol, soooooooo can't wait for my op. I won't bore you with any more details...unfortunately us geeky types get really excited about our research, while it is meaningless to almost everyone else!!!! Really love it though, being in the lab, designing & conducting all my own experiments!

As for the tissue, yes please, I can always do with some, lol! I think it was just the way he sort of blurted it out that tickled me so much! On the flip side, it's a really great opportunity as many research groups are always in need of tissue samples!

What is your masters topic? I would find it hard too if I were doing home study, so a huge well done to you for getting as far as you have on your own motivation! Know what you mean about getting distracted though; it was amazing what I found interesting when I was studying for my finals!

Hi Angie..thank for that..serves me right for being nosey, I understood about a fifth of that LOL!
But it does genuinely sound really interesting and exciting! Have you looked into/do you understand how Type II diabetes is 'cured' by gastric bypass?
My masters is in applied theology so completely different to my BA (that was applied social studies) so also a VERY steep learning curve as I've had to teach myself the basics of theology before I could tackle the more complex stuff.

But I absolutely LOVE it! It would be SO fab if I could do it full time ....... the tricky bit for me is not having someone to bounce the ideas of, though as my son is considering a BA in Theology and Philosophy it's getting easier! (he's just doing his A levels) Bores the pants of number 2 son and hubby though!

Lol, sounds like my OH! Tries to be interested but glazes over the minute he makes the mistake of asking me anything, lol! Yes, read a lot obviously about how the bypass causes remission in type II diabetes; predominantly centred around altered stomach & hind-gut hormonal secretions which in turn affect neuro-hormonal responses, it's really interesting!!!
Theology, eh? Wow, a really interesting area too. I'm personally not religious at all, but the concept of God and religion will always be a contentious & thought-provoking area (and particularly controversial in the area of science!!!). I do agree with you though, that having others to discuss ideas with is sometimes critical to learning & development of a project. Is there an online forum as part of your support package where you might be able to meet & discuss ideas with?

all good news sis!! i'll speak to you shortly about it xxx ;)

Back