• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just had surgery approved :-)

Cat57

Phoned up friday to see how my case was going and was told it was discussed wednesday, and have been approved to surgery... Yay :wee: it seem like ages i've been waiting but I have read some people have waited 3 years.. so its not nearly as bad as i though,it is a year to the month that i had my first appointment at Homerton.... on the phone i was told the wait for the op is 6-8 weeks, can anyone tell me what happens now, do i have to go see my surgeon? i dont know what surgery I will be having yet... then the liver shrinking diet.. im really excited, but also i'm realising that it is a real life changing op this is going to be, .. i been reading some peoples journeys, amazing, and can't believe i will be going through the experience my self soon.. is anyone else having this done at homerton in the new year.... how long before the op do you have a pre op for this ? sp many questions I hope you dont mind.... :tongue:

_Victoria_

Hi Cat! Congrats on getting approved, that's really great! You're so lucky that your waiting time is only 6-8 weeks. I think the pre op diet is different for everyone depending on their BMI. In a booklet i have it says between 2 and 6 weeks depending.

Cat57

yes i do consider myself very lucky.. but tbh, I will wait and see when i get a date through, have you got your date,

_Victoria_

Yeah. I found waiting for the date the worst part. It's tough knowing you're gonna be getting the news but not knowing when you'll get it. My surgeon said up to 6 months on the waiting list for me so when that time came and went with no news it got disheartening. Every day after that i would wake up excited for news and then be disappointed when i didn't get it. Its definitely an emotional journey

Maria61

Phoned up friday to see how my case was going and was told it was discussed wednesday, and have been approved to surgery... Yay :wee: it seem like ages i've been waiting but I have read some people have waited 3 years.. so its not nearly as bad as i though,it is a year to the month that i had my first appointment at Homerton.... on the phone i was told the wait for the op is 6-8 weeks, can anyone tell me what happens now, do i have to go see my surgeon? i dont know what surgery I will be having yet... then the liver shrinking diet.. im really excited, but also i'm realising that it is a real life changing op this is going to be, .. i been reading some peoples journeys, amazing, and can't believe i will be going through the experience my self soon.. is anyone else having this done at homerton in the new year.... how long before the op do you have a pre op for this ? sp many questions I hope you dont mind.... :tongue:
Congratulations to you. I had bypass at Luton in September. Pre op about 2 weeks before surgery and milk diet for two weeks before surgery. I was really lucky as from seeing my GP to having surgery took me 17 months. Good luck to you xx

Cat57

Congratulations to you. I had bypass at Luton in September. Pre op about 2 weeks before surgery and milk diet for two weeks before surgery. I was really lucky as from seeing my GP to having surgery took me 17 months. Good luck to you xx
thank you so much, your 4st down already well done... how was you after the op

Maria61

thank you so much, your 4st down already well done... how was you after the op
I had a lot of shoulder pain from trapped wind after surgery but got rid of it by walking. Post op not been too bad looking back. The liquid stage was easier than I thought it would be as I lost my appetite for a while after surgery. It is back now but the bypass stops me when I try to overeat. Good luck to you xx

jj87

Hi, congrats. Homerton work really fast mine took 8months from doctors to the table. I've lost 7stone in 5and half months. Best thing I've done expect have my daughter. Enjoy x

Cat57

Well I’m still waiting for a date. was originally told on 1/12/17 should be 6-8wks before op .. I’ve phoned twice. And the last time which was last Friday, apparently they don’t send out letters they just contact by phone, and they have changed the way they sort out dates for ops and I should hear within 2 weeks. Has anyone else had op Dates through for homerton since chridtmas..... and to add insult to injury I’ve put on over half a stone. Now worried they will say it can’t be done till I loose it plus more... I know it’s my own fault ... I need to knuckle down. Please has anyone got some willpower they can lend me... x

_Victoria_

Just keep doing the best you can diet wise and you should get the opportunity to lose the extra weight during your pre op diet so try not to worry about it too much. I was really nervous about my pre op diet. More nervous about it than anything else and was doing really rubbish keeping my weight off before then but as soon as i knew i had to do the pre op it was like a switch flipped and i've been 100% on track and have been doing it for 7 weeks now. I think it's really easy to slip up when you're so unsure of when everything is going to happen. It's an emotional, stressful time. But as soon as you get your date you know you HAVE to do it if you wanna get the op so i think it acts as its own motivation

Cat57

yes that's 100% right, i know if i had a date that would be it I would def be so focused, so how long have you got to do the diet for? you say you been on it for 7 weeks how much have you lost on it so far if you dont mind me asking, i know you have a date for your op but i can't remember it,it can't be that far off now, how long did you have to wait from bring told you can have the op to getting the actual date, also what is the actual procedure once they phone with a date,

_Victoria_

Its different with every hospital i think. I got put on the waiting list in February and got my date at the end of November so 9 and half months and then i was supposed to have my surgery on January 15th but now I'm having it on the 29th. I was meant to be on the pre op diet for 6 weeks but because my first surgery was cancelled i had to be on it longer

Cat57

wow well done victoria great loss ... good luck with your surgery tomorrow, next time i speak to you it will be all done. so pleased x