• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just referred

Kellylou

Hi all,
Another newbie to the group,
I'm looking for advice if possible..... I've been referred by my gp and have an appointment next week at the bariatric outpatients at York hospital. I don't know what to expect or how long the journey will be? Can anyone tell me any info???
What happens at the first appointment and is there any positives/negative to the different procedures. I feel that this is my last shot after being unhappy for so long I'm glad there is light at the end of the tunnel!!
Thanks x

Last edited:
Hi and welcome Kelly !
There are plenty of people in here that should be able to answer , I had to go private so I know nothing about the NHS route :(
Good luck though !
Xxxx

Hi Kelly and welcome. We've all had different experiences depending on our personal conditions but most involve going on tier 3 which is the diet/exercise stage where almost everyone has to show some kind of weight loss in order to qualify. Then there's a variety of tests depending on what condition (comorbidities) you have. There's several meetings with the dietician, also the consultant and or surgeon (mine was once with a consultant and twice with my surgeon - once for a consultation and he also did my gastroscopy). You can look at my signature for what I went through... The average from what I've read seems to be 9 months to a year from referral.

Hi Kelly. Good luck with everything. I am private but I'm sure someone will help you with all your questions

Thank you everyone, I'm sure I'll be armed with information this time next week!
Will let you all know how I get on x

Just had my appointment confirmed with the surgical nurse practitioner..... Anybody have any idea what this means?? X

Yes 1st appointment after referral from gp, it's been a long time coming but feel like it's the right time and I'm ready! I know it's not a quick fix but am trying to be fully informed every step of the way x

Sorry Kelly I didn't see this - first appointment will be measurements, eating habits and just a general how you do day to day basis.

My second appointment was with a surgeon to discuss the surgeries they recommend and then they ask what you would prefer - they do give you options if safe to do so.

My case then went to the MDT to be discussed and from there i was referred to the psychologist who deemed me mentally prepared for the surgery and it wasn't long after that that i got my surgery date. I had my first appt 7th sep and surg 25th april.

I think it will also depend on whether or not you need sleep studies etc done.

It does fly past x

Hi all,
Had my first appointment and it seemed to go ok, the surgical nurse was lovely and answered a lot of questions (I was astounded at the amount of info!!). Next appointment is to do a 24 hour urine test and to have an endoscopy, a few friends have said how bad they are!
What's everyone's experience with an endoscopy is there anything I can do to make it easier? X

Hi all,
I'm looking for advice if possible..... I've been referred by my gp and have an appointment next week at the bariatric outpatients at York hospital. I don't know what to expect or how long the journey will be? Can anyone tell me any info???
What happens at the first appointment and is there any positives/negative to the different procedures. I feel that this is my last shot after being unhappy for so long I'm glad there is light at the end of the tunnel!!
Thanks x
Hello and very warm welcome to you!

Hi all,
Thanks x
Hi, im a newbie, just joined myself here 20min ago. Ive also been refared to York hospital. Im having Gastric Bypass Surgery, as he said im too big to have the Band, that i initially wanted. Had my first consultation about 2 weeks ago, im 18st 12 at presant .(although i have been twice before, last time was around 18 months ago...but then backed out off surgery twice! because of anxiety issues,...think this is my last chance). I'm definatly intending to go through with it this time. Can't remenber the name of the consultant i saw, but he was very nice, informative and honest. I think the first initial consultation is just to make sure your ready for it 'mentally'. They weighed me...disscused my history of my previous healthy eating attempts, then went in another room to see a dietition, She explained what liquid & foods i will be eating...more importantly ...to eat extreamly slowly, and it will only be a tiny tea spoonfull at first. Focusing on protein and veg, along with a lifetime of vitamin tablets for the rest of your lifetime. And not to drink with or streight after your tiny bit of food. No gulping drinks either...sipping only. The longterm goal is to eventually be able to eat normal food, side plate size, 3 time a day...no snacks. Some foods people can't tolorate...and it's different for each person. The length of time i spent in there from start to finish, was no longer than an hour. Im just sick...of been obese, all my adult life ive been between 17st & 22st, I just want to be healthy! And i know, if i had'nt been on various diets and healthy eating plans throughout my life, even though i failed most of them, i genuinly believe i would be around 30st by now! This is my last chance to get it right. My next appointment at York Hospital is 2nd Aug, for an Endoscopy....to which i hate them! Only because they won't give me pain relieve as im allergic to banannas, And the pain relieve they use has bananna extract in it! Then the 'team' at York Hospital all have a meeting to discuss 'you', And that can take about 2-3 months...im led to believe, then after their 'meeting', you get a date to be admitted. With imformation telling you what to eat leading upto surgery (you will have discussed that in the first consultation). Anyhow, Good Luck. x

Hi all,
Thanks x
Sorry, realized you sent your post in May! You probably know more than me by now. Please let me know how things are going. Hope things are going well for you. X

Back