• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just saying hi :-)

Alexandra Nevermind

Hello all lovely and brave people!
I am very new to this, but it seems the best thing to say hi, here?
Any other tips for starting/introducing myself/things not to do?
Am exploring - sorry if this is all explained elsewhere and I haven't found it yet....

I am hoping to get support from and give support to others going through this process.
Set for surgery on Oct 30th and while I have LOTS of information online, offline, reading EVERYTHING, talking to docs, I am also in recovery from an eating disorder and VERY nervous of life afterwards...can't seem to shake that...

Anyway. Helloooo!! How do I make friends? :)

--A.N

Hey, welcome to the madhouse!
Definitely a good start putting an introduction post. I'd probably read through some other people's introductions and diaries and start interacting. Everyone is friendly so just dive in.
How exciting you've got your date. Which hospital are you with?
I'm still preop but hopefully getting the go ahead soon (my case should be being discussed at the MDT November 8th all being well).

Hi Parsnip!
Thanks for responding to my first post - I was feeling a bit shy!I will take your advice - it can be a bit hard to navigate threads that are happening now, rather than old ones, but I'll get the hang of it!
I do hope you get a date soon. Everything seems really different, hospital to hospital - I am in SE London and while I have waited for about 16 months, it didn't feel like I had to jump through a lot of the hoops other have. My surgeon just wanted to know I was sure, as I have felt really ambivalent about the whole thing from the beginning. But I AM an overthinker.
So what exactly happens next for you after the meeting? You already lost 1.5 stones on your own, prior? Good for you!
I am on Day 5 of the milk diet - My hospital's regime is: 2 pints milk + 2 yogs under 100 cals + 2 soups under 100 cals, but we agreed I'd try to do a strict 4 pints of milk + stock cube + tea + water approach for the first week, and then do their more varied version for the 2nd week. I am down about 2lbs, and rather suspect I am not going to get some of the dramatic loss I have seen in other people on the liver reduction diet... I am quite immobile at the moment for a whole host of reasons, but next week plan to go back to swimming (swum every day on a recent hol and lost 6lbs!)

I think I do somehow fret that my weight loss from this whole procedure will be slower and less satisfying than some others...

ANYWAY: enough moaning! It's good to meet you! I am just pre-op worried :)

Hi and welcome you have certainly come to right place for friends and support I had my WLS 31.7.18 bypass. Best thing ever love my WeePouch As the lovely Parsnip says read everyone’s journeys they are both inspirational and informative. I certainly would be so very lost and lonely without this site xx

Hi Irene - thank you for saying hello and offering reassurance. I wish I had got this a long time ago, back when I was the size you started! I am very glad you're getting the support here that you need, and hope I can become part of it all. I guess I might start a journal myself in a few days. Reading about others is fascinating...

Hi Irene - thank you for saying hello and offering reassurance. I wish I had got this a long time ago, back when I was the size you started! I am very glad you're getting the support here that you need, and hope I can become part of it all. I guess I might start a journal myself in a few days. Reading about others is fascinating...

Oh I had to do it when I did. But it was the money and I really worried about spending all of that on me. Took me such a long time and lot of hard work to get it. But I’m so pleased I did I don’t regret it at all and would certainly do it again You get so much support and fantastic advice from everyone on here it’s just brilliant. Yes you should start you journal be lovely to read and track you progress xx

Am exploring - sorry if this is all explained elsewhere and I haven't found it yet....

I am hoping to get support from and give support to others going through this process.
Set for surgery on Oct 30th and while I have LOTS of information online, offline, reading EVERYTHING, talking to docs, I am also in recovery from an eating disorder and VERY nervous of life afterwards...can't seem to shake that...

--A.N
Hi there and welcome, great to hear you have a surgery date, how exciting, I had a bypass on 5th April 18 at Luton and Dunstable and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done, it is absolutely normal to be anxious but it sounds like you have prepared yourself with lots of research which is the best thing you can do.
If you click onto “new posts” at the top of the page you will get a list of the most recent posts which will in turn take you to the most recent diary threads, would definitely advise you start your own too its invaluable for looking back on as are others diaries as you can get some much helpful information, tips and ideas.
Very good luck x

Hi Parsnip!
Thanks for responding to my first post - I was feeling a bit shy!I will take your advice - it can be a bit hard to navigate threads that are happening now, rather than old ones, but I'll get the hang of it!
I do hope you get a date soon. Everything seems really different, hospital to hospital - I am in SE London and while I have waited for about 16 months, it didn't feel like I had to jump through a lot of the hoops other have. My surgeon just wanted to know I was sure, as I have felt really ambivalent about the whole thing from the beginning. But I AM an overthinker.
So what exactly happens next for you after the meeting? You already lost 1.5 stones on your own, prior? Good for you!
I am on Day 5 of the milk diet - My hospital's regime is: 2 pints milk + 2 yogs under 100 cals + 2 soups under 100 cals, but we agreed I'd try to do a strict 4 pints of milk + stock cube + tea + water approach for the first week, and then do their more varied version for the 2nd week. I am down about 2lbs, and rather suspect I am not going to get some of the dramatic loss I have seen in other people on the liver reduction diet... I am quite immobile at the moment for a whole host of reasons, but next week plan to go back to swimming (swum every day on a recent hol and lost 6lbs!)

I think I do somehow fret that my weight loss from this whole procedure will be slower and less satisfying than some others...

ANYWAY: enough moaning! It's good to meet you! I am just pre-op worried :)

It takes a while to get used to but you'll be hooked like the rest of us in no time.

Each hospital is so, so different which makes things a challenge but who wants an easy life right.

I have an appointment on Thursday for and ECG, ultrasound to check my liver and check for gallstones and another blood test to have my latest levels for the MDT. Then I have a sleep study from the 2nd Nov. After I get my approval I will then be moved to tier four where I have to have two educational sessions and a meeting with the surgeon to discuss which procedure to go for, then I'll be put on the list. In my head I'm predicting around June but could be anytime from April to August I guess. I've waited long enough, a few months is nothing (I was referred by my GP Nov 2016 but fell pregnant beginning of 2017 so my journey had to be paused, started back April 2018). I've had to lose some weight as part of the tier three program. I never had an amount specified really but they are happy with what I lost so it's all good. I'm just hoping I've lost a little more for Thursday.

I'm sure you you will lose fine after surgery, I imagine it's pretty hard not to lose. Which procedure are you having?

--A.N
Hi Alexandra and welcome. This is a very friendly site. I had bypass at Luton on 19 September 2018 and have found all the support here fantastic. Good luck xxx

Hi Alexandra and welcome. This is a very friendly site. I had bypass at Luton on 19 September 2018 and have found all the support here fantastic. Good luck xxx
Thank you, Maria. You look like you have had such success - congrats!!

It takes a while to get used to but you'll be hooked like the rest of us in no time.
Oh, I really do hope so...I have had several eating disorders for most of my life, so everything does feel painful and complicated. To enter 'diet mind' again...I have to be very careful....

Each hospital is so, so different which makes things a challenge but who wants an easy life right.
Hahaah!! I want an easy life!!! You should have an easy life too!! :) :)

I have an appointment on Thursday for and ECG, ultrasound to check my liver and check for gallstones and another blood test to have my latest levels for the MDT. Then I have a sleep study from the 2nd Nov.
Wow. I have had my ECG last week - the nurse said I have 'a lovely heart', which made me laugh. I haven't had a liver ultrasound, which is a shame, but I do know as long ago as 12 years I had Fatty Liver Disease... as most big people do, I understand. I don;t have a gall bladder - that was taken out. The only exploratory work I have had is an endoscopy to check for a hernia - turns out I do have a small one, which I think will be fixed on the same day as the op...
They suspect apnea?

After I get my approval I will then be moved to tier four where I have to have two educational sessions and a meeting with the surgeon to discuss which procedure to go for, then I'll be put on the list. In my head I'm predicting around June but could be anytime from April to August I guess.
Nobody has told me about any tiers, but I appear to have been put through them anyway - I had two sessions with the nurse to explain procedure, but I used to be a journalist and I think she was pissed at me that I had already done research and read latest studies etc. The surgeon was amused - there have been two sessions with her. Let's see if I can quote her: "I can do this procedure for you, and you will feel better. But I can't decide for you. It seems to me that you're going to be complicated about this...because that's the kind of person you are..." Yep. In a nutshell :)

I've waited long enough, a few months is nothing (I was referred by my GP Nov 2016 but fell pregnant beginning of 2017 so my journey had to be paused, started back April 2018). I've had to lose some weight as part of the tier three program. I never had an amount specified really but they are happy with what I lost so it's all good. I'm just hoping I've lost a little more for Thursday.
Congrats on the bambino! Boy or girl? Huge congrats on losing the weight you have so far...
No one has asked me to lose weight...just not to gain any over the holidays (I lost 6lbs swimming, but am more impressed by getting some of my core strength back..and just doing it! I have fibromyalgia, which as you might know is a condition that makes you hurt all over...I am however, hoping that

I'm sure you you will lose fine after surgery, I imagine it's pretty hard not to lose. Which procedure are you having?
Gastric sleeve plus the hernia fix...

You are obviously SUCH a kind person, as I can see from your posts - thank you for being warm.
Will definitely think about journalling...

--A.N
Hi Alexandra, just jump in and chat with us, we don't bite, honest :). I pre op, just coming to the end of tier 3 with Luton & Dunstable hospital. Hope you start a diary, is interesting reading people's journeys and others can learn so much from it.
Not long for you now for your surgery, it's normal to be anxious about it all, but I'm sure you'll be fine, just be patient with yourself in the early days while you're healing. Good luck xx

Oh, I really do hope so...I have had several eating disorders for most of my life, so everything does feel painful and complicated. To enter 'diet mind' again...I have to be very careful....

Hahaah!! I want an easy life!!! You should have an easy life too!! :) :)

I have an appointment on Thursday for and ECG, ultrasound to check my liver and check for gallstones and another blood test to have my latest levels for the MDT. Then I have a sleep study from the 2nd Nov.
Wow. I have had my ECG last week - the nurse said I have 'a lovely heart', which made me laugh. I haven't had a liver ultrasound, which is a shame, but I do know as long ago as 12 years I had Fatty Liver Disease... as most big people do, I understand. I don;t have a gall bladder - that was taken out. The only exploratory work I have had is an endoscopy to check for a hernia - turns out I do have a small one, which I think will be fixed on the same day as the op...
They suspect apnea?

After I get my approval I will then be moved to tier four where I have to have two educational sessions and a meeting with the surgeon to discuss which procedure to go for, then I'll be put on the list. In my head I'm predicting around June but could be anytime from April to August I guess.
Nobody has told me about any tiers, but I appear to have been put through them anyway - I had two sessions with the nurse to explain procedure, but I used to be a journalist and I think she was pissed at me that I had already done research and read latest studies etc. The surgeon was amused - there have been two sessions with her. Let's see if I can quote her: "I can do this procedure for you, and you will feel better. But I can't decide for you. It seems to me that you're going to be complicated about this...because that's the kind of person you are..." Yep. In a nutshell :)

I've waited long enough, a few months is nothing (I was referred by my GP Nov 2016 but fell pregnant beginning of 2017 so my journey had to be paused, started back April 2018). I've had to lose some weight as part of the tier three program. I never had an amount specified really but they are happy with what I lost so it's all good. I'm just hoping I've lost a little more for Thursday.
Congrats on the bambino! Boy or girl? Huge congrats on losing the weight you have so far...
No one has asked me to lose weight...just not to gain any over the holidays (I lost 6lbs swimming, but am more impressed by getting some of my core strength back..and just doing it! I have fibromyalgia, which as you might know is a condition that makes you hurt all over...I am however, hoping that

Gastric sleeve plus the hernia fix...

I'm not looking at the surgery as dieting, more as a body reset if that makes sense. I think it's too easy to get into negative thinking with 'dieting'.

The sleep apnea test us a standard requirement at my trust, I believe it's to ensure extra safety whilst under general anesthesia... I believe if you have it, they require you to wear your oxygen during Surgery. It's not something I've looked into properly but would if I had it iykwim.

Not all hospitals seem to do the tiers in the same way, it's crazy how different they are. My nurse said she would let me miss the education sessions if it were up to her as I have obviously done my research but I don't understand how anyone can contemplate wls without doing their research.

I had a baby girl. She was my fourth child (I now have two of each) but she was very much a surprise baby lol. I have a few friends with fibromyalgia. Well done with the swimming, I need to get back to swimming myself. I used to go regularly but stopped for some reason. I really should get back to it.

I think my preference is the sleeve but I'll go with whatever my surgeon recommends.

Only 9 days left. Are you excited, nervous or both?

Have you told family/friends?

Welcome to the forum Alexandra. You can read recent posts by clicking on 'new posts' on top of the page. Comment on other's posts in order to start watching those threads. You'll get alerts when those are updated. Until you get to 50 posts your posts will be closely moderated and won't appear as soon as you submit them. This is to stop spam on the site.

How are you coping with the milk diet so far? I'm a slow loser, I've always been even prior to surgery. I only lost 4lbs in my two weeks on my liver reducing diet. Post-op I've been a steady with my weight loss even though its been small amounts. I had my surgery private in Belgium and it is the best money I've ever spent. I'm quite a keen researcher so not fussed with aftercare but saying that my GP is brilliant and have been keeping a check on my quarterly blood work and prescribed meds based my my researched recommendations, bringing printouts of the BOMSS guidelines for surgery helps.

Hey Alexandra!!! Welcome to the family!!!
9 days to go!! How exciting!!
I’m also pre-op, on Friday was given the all clear for surgery so now just waiting on next steps...whatever they may be?! I’m at Homerton Hospital, I don’t think I read which hospital you are at? We’re all spread right out, there’s bound to be somebody at the same hospital as you.
Reading other people’s diaries is definitely the way forward, although you need to make sure you have about 3 days clear in your own diary as they become quite addictive! lol!!
At the top of the page, on the right hand side of the lighter green banner there’s a magnifying glass icon, use this to search anything specific you may want to read up on that may not be in the diaries you’ve read or are reading, or search your surgeons name to find other people who’ve had the same person.
There’s such a wealth of knowledge here. Ask anything, you’ll definitely get an answer, xx

Hi Alexandra, just jump in and chat with us, we don't bite, honest :). I pre op, just coming to the end of tier 3 with Luton & Dunstable hospital. Hope you start a diary, is interesting reading people's journeys and others can learn so much from it.
Not long for you now for your surgery, it's normal to be anxious about it all, but I'm sure you'll be fine, just be patient with yourself in the early days while you're healing. Good luck xx
Thanks much for the support and welcome - I think I have understandable jitters. I suppose I also feel ambivalent because I feel that fat bodies are perfectly acceptable, and it' s taken me a long time and a lot of work to get there, to be accepting of all I am - but also find that this particular fat body has also become unhealthy...so...this procedure is something I also need to do.
Ah, life :)

I'm not looking at the surgery as dieting, more as a body reset if that makes sense. I think it's too easy to get into negative thinking with 'dieting'.

The sleep apnea test us a standard requirement at my trust, I believe it's to ensure extra safety whilst under general anesthesia... I believe if you have it, they require you to wear your oxygen during Surgery. It's not something I've looked into properly but would if I had it iykwim.

Not all hospitals seem to do the tiers in the same way, it's crazy how different they are. My nurse said she would let me miss the education sessions if it were up to her as I have obviously done my research but I don't understand how anyone can contemplate wls without doing their research.

I had a baby girl. She was my fourth child (I now have two of each) but she was very much a surprise baby lol. I have a few friends with fibromyalgia. Well done with the swimming, I need to get back to swimming myself. I used to go regularly but stopped for some reason. I really should get back to it.

I think my preference is the sleeve but I'll go with whatever my surgeon recommends.

Only 9 days left. Are you excited, nervous or both?

Have you told family/friends?

I have been using the word 're-set' as well - all the time! I cannot think of it as a diet because that does make me quite anxious and fight-y and defiant :)
I was tested for sleep apnea about four years ago, but they just said I was a snorer...
Four kids - my worrying I am too busy to do this suddenly looks like foolishness :)
I am very nervous, not excited at all. As I say: tremendously ambivalent. But resolute and curious. That's going to have to do :)
I just told my mum and brothers two weeks ago - they are surprisingly supportive. I was worried my mum would be worried - she is not very well.
My partner and select friends know as well - I sent them links and vids and instructions :) They're lovely, arranging hospital shifts.

x

Hey Alexandra!!! Welcome to the family!!!
9 days to go!! How exciting!!
I’m also pre-op, on Friday was given the all clear for surgery so now just waiting on next steps...whatever they may be?! I’m at Homerton Hospital, I don’t think I read which hospital you are at? We’re all spread right out, there’s bound to be somebody at the same hospital as you.
Reading other people’s diaries is definitely the way forward, although you need to make sure you have about 3 days clear in your own diary as they become quite addictive! lol!!
At the top of the page, on the right hand side of the lighter green banner there’s a magnifying glass icon, use this to search anything specific you may want to read up on that may not be in the diaries you’ve read or are reading, or search your surgeons name to find other people who’ve had the same person.
There’s such a wealth of knowledge here. Ask anything, you’ll definitely get an answer, xx

Hi Maria!! I feel so sour, not being excited! LOL! I am not excited at all! Nervous, worried, worried that my eating disorder will kick my ass on the other side. But also curious, resolute, and convinced that this the best way. Also open to being bloody delighted in 6 months! [My partner's being weird about me telling people on the internet where I'll be - apologies! I am in SE London, tho].

Back