• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi All

deepblue

Hi guys I am Owen and I am on day 2 of my pre op diet I am having a Gastric Bypass done in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary on the 31st of may.

I am finding the pre op diet very difficult to follow and keep feeling if this is how I feel on day two how can I cope for the full two weeks has anyone got any tips how to get through it ?

Hi Owen and welcome to the site.

The first 3-4 days of any pre-op diet are the worst. Believe me, it does get better, just hang in there.

Thanks

Hi Owen, i have my pre op to do in the next 2 weeks and was dreading it...

The tips i've picked up off this wonderful site are these....

Drink, drink and drink some more! Fizzy pop will fill you up and also get rid of any headache you may have...

If you are lucky enough to be on the food diet then eat it slowly and savour and chew well. A smaller plate helps as it tricks your mind into thinking you got more than you have.

Stick at it, it's a tiny little puddle on the way to a great big ocean... Best of luck xx

Nice tips, Im dreading it....lol, but like you say its not very long in the scheme of things .........just seems like it! :D

Thanks for the tips now on my third day and was soing ok till my oldest appeared with a dime bar now I have cravings for one :8855:

Hi Owen, welcome to the site :D

Which diet are you on as each hospital seems to have it's own preference as to which it's patients shpuld follow.

I'm into week 3 of the milk diet now and as John says, the first 3-4 days are the hardest but I promise you it does get easier. It's also excellent psychological preparation for coping with the very limited post-op diet you need to follow.

Any questions just shout... this site has no end of wonderful people who are all willing to offer advice & support. I honestly couldn't have got through the last few months without them :cool:

Oh, and on the subject of cravings, they are usually all in the mind and I find by distracting myself with something else for 10-15mins they disappear ;)

Chewing gum! Very minty sugar free ones...and drink a lot of water/diet coke etc. Come on Owen! Eyes on the prize and all that!! You are so close to getting this amazing opportunity! Don't throw it all away. You have to be really strong and tough it out. Maybe start a diary on here as I'm sure we'll all try our best to support you.
Might also be great to have a family meeting and just straight out ask them to help you , explain how great it's going to be when you are able to go out and take them out playing more often etc and that they can help you by being your personal trainers and stopping you from eating things that are not allowed on your pre-op...also by not eating their treats near you. Kids love bossing their parents about so get them on board.

I have to be honest I am on day 5 and I am still finding it hard, keeping busy really helps. Yesterday I tried having an afternoon nap, but then I couldnt get to sleep in the evening.:(

As they say, I find drinking lots of water, I am lucky in that I am not doing any cooking, although I can prepare he meal. The smell of cooking gets to me so I go into the bedroom and watch the tellie until they have finished.

I am suprised in how well I have done but when I think I am gonna give way I remind myself of the possible consequences ie no surgery so it keeps me on the rails.

Feel free to have a moan we are only human, every now and then I shout, I AM HUNGRY:eek::eek::eek:, makes me feel better.;)

Hi Owen

Congrats on the start of your pre-op. My tips for sticking with it are - think of your end result, you don't want them to open you up & close you up without doing your op.

The best thing is WATER - it will become your best friend. Drink plenty of it and when you've had enough, drink some more.

The pre-op does get easier, honest x

Good luck x

Back