• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

just want a rant..and a cry.... and a hug :-(

Raynebubble

Just so upset... i work in a busy shop on a till.... i do my job well... been there 3 years, 16 hours a week, 4 hours a day..not had any time off at all apart from 6 weeks off to have my bypass.. then 2 days after due to a sickness bug.
The conditions i went back were as long as i can have my bottle of juice at my till... this i was told was ok and was confirmed by head office.
I had severe dehydration during my 6 weeks off and was re-admitted into hospital... put on drip after drip to sort me out... and sent home with strict instructions to stay hydrated. Due to the dehyration i was left with bladder problems and if i need to use the loo... then i need to go otherwise i start feeling dizzy etc... My biatric team said that i cant do a 4 hour shift without fluids as its too long.
well there hasnt been a problem until today!!
My boss (female) has been a right ***** the last two days... picking on me for the slightest things, having a go at me in front of customers etc... then today as i was leaving... she said....i need to have a word about your drink.... do you still have to have it??? i said yes of course i do.... she then told me i cant have my drink in work until i have a doctors note saying its medical!!
well ive been in and spoken to a nurse at my doctors and she has said it is medical... im now waiting for my doctors to call me later this afternoon to sort this out.
Also to add to this my boss has said that if i need the toilet during my 4 hour shift then i have to clock out then back in again.... every time we clock out we are docked 15 minutes.... so therefore as i only work 16 hours a week... if i went to the toilet which take me... from my till to the loo and back 2 minutes and 32 seconds as timed... i will lose and hours pay over the week... therefore i will only be doing 15 hours a week and will lose my child and tax credit!
Now what tells you that they are trying to get rid of me... i so upset cant stop crying.

So sorry for pouring out my problems on here but if i dont tell someone im gonna burst xx

OMG rayne. massive hugs n cuddles are telepathically heading your way right now my darlin.
they can't treat you like this darlin. its all about equal opps n you have a legitimate medical reason to need a drink as you work. silly question but i don't suppose you are part of any retailers union are you? i would call head office and speak to someone in human resources and request a copy of the companys equal opps policy. that in itself should make them think!!
i know this doesn't stop you feeling upset but i would also report your manager for ridiculing you in front of customers, this also is a serious breach of her role and responsibilities.
make yourself a cuppa n chill for a little while my love and i am sure you will feel better soon.
loadsa love n stuff xx

Sounds like you have a pretty bad boss to say the least. I am not sure that your employer can suddenly start docking you money for a toilet break, especially when up till now you have been having them.

It may be worth checking with your HR if you have one, or if not the local CAB to find out just what your rights are.

Try and relax for the rest of the day as getting stressed is the worse thing you can do to yourself. Get the facts and then take the appropriate action, but as Jan has already suggested it could be worth reporting your manager as what she has done/said in front of customers is just not on.

I would promptly tell her then if you need the toilet you will not go back to work for 15 mins as you are not working for no pay, that will soon make her change her mind, hope you get it sorted soon x

Omg, what a *****! they can't stop you from going to the toilet! Grrr, why are people like this in the world??!! Xx

Smokers are allowed 10 min paid break every so often for ciggies so why cant she give u the same treatment as yours is medical, Sounds like bullying tactics to me!!! If this was not in the terms and conditions of your contract she is breaking the law and I would suggest seeking legal advise to cover your own back xxx

first off *hugs*

secondly I agree with what they have said above. talk to HR or CAB and get the docs note to say toilet breaks and drinks are medially needed. They can't descriminate. If they fire you because of these then take them to court.

what a complete ass, hugs to you

Trying to see both sides here Rayne (trying!), did your boss explain why she didnt want you to have the drink with you at work, did she explain why you would have to deduct toilet breaks from your hours?

I suspect she didnt or that what she said was unreasonable? do you think someone has complained, another colleague perhaps and the manager has had to intervene?

When you feel more calm try and have a word with her and get to the bottom of the issue, there must be more to it than all of a sudden picking on you like this. No excuse I know but!...................x

I really hope this gets sorted for you soon as you really don't need it (((hugs))) xxx

I haven't read all the replies so sorry if someone else has already stated this, but they can not set down those rules according to the HSE guidelines. Get your Dr to write you a letter re the drinks and the toilet issues and there is absolutely diddly squat that they can do about it. Least of all dismiss you or dock your pay. It would be more than they could afford in fines to do so. Let alone the bad report in the newspapers. Talk to your Dr when you go and pick up your letter and I'm sure he wont be funny about it but if he is talk to your team.

The silly ***** has probably been pulled up about something herself and is looking for a scapegoat or for someone to bully to make herself feel bigger and better. She's all mouth and tits Lovely. There will be an HSE poster in you staff room and if there isn't it's an offence, get the number of your local office from it and contact them for advice.

Lots of love
Kate x

Not sure who you work for but in my local morrisons most of the cashiers have a bottle of water with them and i cannot imagine they all need to drink for medical reasons. I agree with the others, contact your HR and state that up until now this has never been a problem, they cannot victimise you for a medical condition as they will be breaking the disability living act.
Follow the rules, ask your GP to write a letter explaining you need to stay hydrated and must use the toilet when you need to thus avoiding any further health problems. I know you are upset now but take a deep breath and tackle it the right way and hopefully once this is done you can settle back down to do your job.

Good luck and keep us updated, i am sure once the initial shock and hurt has worn off you will be all guns blazing.
Wendy x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

i also hope you get this sorted soon as getting deducted for a toilet brake in th 4 hours you work no one can hold on that long. ((((hugs to you my love)))) and dont appolgise for ranting you are here and very supportive of all the people on here take care. xxx

I know nothing about employment law so am not going to comment , but just wanted to add my support to you xx

Just so upset... i work in a busy shop on a till.... i do my job well... been there 3 years, 16 hours a week, 4 hours a day..not had any time off at all apart from 6 weeks off to have my bypass.. then 2 days after due to a sickness bug.
The conditions i went back were as long as i can have my bottle of juice at my till... this i was told was ok and was confirmed by head office.
I had severe dehydration during my 6 weeks off and was re-admitted into hospital... put on drip after drip to sort me out... and sent home with strict instructions to stay hydrated. Due to the dehyration i was left with bladder problems and if i need to use the loo... then i need to go otherwise i start feeling dizzy etc... My biatric team said that i cant do a 4 hour shift without fluids as its too long.
well there hasnt been a problem until today!!
My boss (female) has been a right ***** the last two days... picking on me for the slightest things, having a go at me in front of customers etc... then today as i was leaving... she said....i need to have a word about your drink.... do you still have to have it??? i said yes of course i do.... she then told me i cant have my drink in work until i have a doctors note saying its medical!!
well ive been in and spoken to a nurse at my doctors and she has said it is medical... im now waiting for my doctors to call me later this afternoon to sort this out.
Also to add to this my boss has said that if i need the toilet during my 4 hour shift then i have to clock out then back in again.... every time we clock out we are docked 15 minutes.... so therefore as i only work 16 hours a week... if i went to the toilet which take me... from my till to the loo and back 2 minutes and 32 seconds as timed... i will lose and hours pay over the week... therefore i will only be doing 15 hours a week and will lose my child and tax credit!
Now what tells you that they are trying to get rid of me... i so upset cant stop crying.

So sorry for pouring out my problems on here but if i dont tell someone im gonna burst xx

is she telling everyone else to log out too when they go to the loo - she cant discriminate against you - so find out - if she isnt then she is bullying you and she cant do that - and if head office have agreed you need hte drink then she cant stop you - still the nurse could give you a letter to say you need it with you - i hardly ever go to the loo - it was 6pm today before i realised i hadnt weed all day - can you manage not going? - dont let her bully you - no way - (((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) xxx

If your head office ok'd you to have your drink with you and are aware of the medical side of it all I would say speak to them about the problems you are experiencing

Sounds like bullying to me. Especially of she is targeting only you. Employers treat bullying in the workplace very seriously as it can cost them a fortune in compensation for allowing it to happen, if taken to a tribunal.

Aw Rayne :cry: I do feel for you, lovely. I can't say any more than has already been said but just wanted to say, chin up & report the nasty b***h. Gawd, I HATE bullies :mad: xxx

Back