• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ketosis - losing body fat???

lamb_reader

I'm almost 16 weeks post op from my sleeve in CZ. Taking in protein instead of carbs has been a struggle for me (old habits die hard ;) I drink two myprotein shakes a day (they do samples so you can try which kind you might like) and that alone is 40g of protein. All in all it still isn't enough protein, but I'm getting there. I've started losing alot of hair 11 weeks post op and I hope that upping my protein intake will help. So far it hasn't...
I try not to eat too many carbs and to stay in ketosis. Last week I bought sticks which detect ketones in your urine. So far I've been in ketosis every day. As far as I understand it, being in ketosis means that your body is burning fat instead of carbs as fuel. Can you guys tell me more about the fat loss benefits of ketosis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your body, being an efficient machine, works by burning easy fuel first, and hold on to the hard-burning parts (which sadly is the fat) for times of famine.

When you're in ketosis, you've deprived your body of the easy fuel (carbs), so it has to switch to the harder to burn reserves to keep on functioning efficiently, and that's the fat stores >>> weight loss occurs.

If you have alcohol, or carb-full stuff, then it will start consuming these first again, you'll get out of ketosis, your strips won't change colour any more and more importantly, the weight loss will stop.

I found the strips very handy to make sure I didn't stray too far if I had social occasions, if it went from deep purple to a much lighter colour, then I know I was on the bad slope and would rein in the carbs intake.

Note that if you get out of ketosis, it may take a few days of dropping the carbs for it to start again, it's not immediate. (which seems very unfair when you consider that just looking at a doughnut seems to be enough to get out of ketosis!!! :p )

Thanks for your reply.
I've not reached the deep purple yet (16 mmol/L or 160 mg/dL). I stay between 15 and 40 mg/dL most days. Do you know that if you stay in deep purple the fat loss is better or is being in ketosis period the main thing?

I found this online:

Ketosis is a chemical/ metabolic state your body is (or isn't) in. Either your carbs are low enough for your body to be in ketosis, or not.
If you are in ketosis, it doesn't matter how deeply you are in ketosis, or how deeply purple your Ketostix are. You simply ARE or ARE NOT in ketosis.
While in Ketosis you cannot get all the caloric energy out of the food you eat. Fat will only give you 1 (ONE!) calorie of energy, not 9! Protein will give you only 2 calories, not 4; but carbs will still give you the full 4 calories whether or not you are in ketosis.

Being in ketosis is the main thing from a physiological point of view, but I always found that having the deep purple gave me a massive psychological boost!

I also found that if in deep purple and it starts lightening, it's usually a sign I was slipping without realising, whereas if in the light purple, then if I slipped, I'd be out of ketosis very quickly, so I preferred to go deep, lol, but that's just my way of dealing with it!

Tip: Become an avid label reader. If you see something contains cellulose or dextrose, these are thickeners, bulking agents, used widely in a lot of the food industry stuff and high in hidden carbs, so stay away!

Also be aware that low-fat stuff is as a rule higher in carbs than full-fat stuff. Also, full-fat stuff makes you fill full faster, so it's best to switch to full fat (and it tastes better). If I have recipes that require milk, I use double cream diluted with water rather than milk, it cuts the carbs down quite a lot.

Not all fruit and veg are low-carb: stick to non-exotic fruit, and avoid starchy or sugary veg: potatoes (obviously), sweetcorn etc... If you like nuts, they're a really good snack alternative, but be careful, it's very easy to go overboard with them!

Expert low-carber here. Been off the wagon for a while (dumbass that I am), but still a firm believer that it's the best and healthiest way of eating.

I'm struggling as I am on the liver-shrinking phase right now, pre-op and my provider insists on very low-fat, which is completely alien to my way of thinking, cooking or eating, and it all tastes like cardboard dipped in various flavours! :(

Can I ask, why are you trying to achieve ketosis when you are post op?

Can I ask, why are you trying to achieve ketosis when you are post op?

Because I want to lose body fat, not water or lean body mass. Your body wants to burn the easy fuels first - aka carbs in your food. If you eat less carbs (and keep your calorie needs up by excercising) your body resorts to burning body fat.
There is also the added benefit that when it Ketosis your body absorbs less calories from protein & fat. Carbs are still fully absorbed because your body is looking forward to them - easy fuel and your body is always looking for the easy way out/ efficiency.
Also, Ketosis gives you a clear head - sounds strange, but I've never been this "awake" and productive in my everyday life!

But that's just me. Alot of people lose alot of weight with "normal" calorie restriction. I like to eat cheese, meat and nuts and not think about calories. I just avoid carbs and thanks to my sleeve small protions fill me up. So I'm in Ketosis and my calorie intake is low enough for me to lose weight. We'll see when the next stall hits me, becaue even in Ketosis there're stalls...

It's my medical nursing background that makes me very nervous of ketogenic diets (not ketosis itself). I can see the benefit as an appetite suppressant, but in the post op world that's not as much of a issue. I feel post op we should eat for health (not just weight loss), so the food we eat be balanced and nutritious. Carbs are needed as part of a healthy diet, albeit in different proportions to pre op. And a ketogenic diet in no way means that your muscle mass is preserved. We eat so very little that we need to get as many micronutrients from our food as possible, so don't really see an benefit to absorbing less. High protein is a different issue, and a very good idea. I find that it is a common misconception that you have to have to be in ketosis in order to lose body fat, but as you say, this is not the case.
I'm sure you know the disadvantages, and you clearly feel it has a benefit for you individually at present.

Last edited:
The deep purple means you are very very dehydrated!!! Not good for the kidneys.
A "healthy ketosis" is the lightest colour change possible.

The deep purple means you are very very dehydrated!!! Not good for the kidneys.
A "healthy ketosis" is the lightest colour change possible.

Sorry, but that's not true at all. A good low-carb diet includes drinking 2 litres of water a day. The Ketostix don't measure your level of hydration at all.

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard....82407-article-ketostix-color.html#post1139248

for further info.

Re: what fjsinc said about ketogenic diets, you still have carbs in these, you just don't have as much, there is a very big difference. I frankly cannot see how someone could cut carbs completely out of their regime, and I don't know a single LC programme that advocates such anyway.

I think the science behind ketosis for fat loss is solid, and my sister, a nurse of 40 years, also agrees and followed it for a while.

From my own observations (although I appreciate that not every person will have the same result), ketosis always means weight loss and getting out of ketosis means the weight creeping back up, without a doubt.

Certainly, once I've been banded and back on normal food, the plan is definitely to go back to a healthy low-carb way of eating. I feel that with the difficulties banders have in eating bread, pasta and other starchy foods, it makes sense anyway, and sugar is definitely the hidden enemy, so it's only logical IMO. ;)

Interesting as the dehydration theory was the explanation given to me by my GP and Lighterlife counsellor.
So much conflicting information.

I work with multiple nurses and live with one and while doing the Cambridge diet I sometimes went dark purple and was always told I was dehydrated! There are lots of conflicting info but I know personally I felt dehydrated when it was too dark and would always feel better after drinking more.
I think the message is just be careful :) x

Definitely conflicting because I've heard dark purple means dehydrated too BUT I've done the Cambridge diet several times and always had dark purple. Was I dehydrated? I'm not sure but I was drinking 5-6 litres of water a day(yes I kid you not and this was before they said 2 and a half to 3 litres max)

My team say post op its not about ketosis(I brought this up with them). Just about eating low fat and to make healthy choices most of the time.

How are you doing carebear1? Have those scales begun to shift again yet?

How are you doing carebear1? Have those scales begun to shift again yet?

YES!!!!

Thanks for asking hun :) I've lost 4lbs already this wk :D by talking yours,Yve and tealovers advice and upping my cals(I take in about 800-1000 now sometimes more) and allowing a little more fat into my routine. Cannot thank you all enough :D:D

How are you doing hun?

5-6 litres a DAY? :eek:

HOW? I can just about manage the 2 litres (usually a bit less), the thought of that much, urgh... :p

Aww that's fantastic news honey :) do you feel better for the increased calories? Well done you :)

Back