• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ketosis - losing body fat???

Fat not Protein

Sorry I am new to these boards, but I have been on a low-carb / ketogenic diet since 2010 and have read a lot of research and books on the subject. I only lost 20kg which is less than most people here, but thats all I had to loose. Now my weight is a steady 72kg.
There are a lot of messages saying that Ketosis is about eating protein and low carb food. Just to be clear it is fat which you should be consuming as your main energy source not protein. Of course protein in moderation is fine, and the fat must be healthy. Avoid all the supposedly healthy margarine's with Hydrogenated fat, and stick to butter or preferably lard or tallow. Coconut Oil is another great way to introduce healthy fat into your diet.
There have also been many comments on getting dehydrated. This is a common problem during the induction to ketosis, and can be remedied with regular healthy broth soups. However after about 3 weeks (according to Dr Stephen Phinney who has done some research into this) you should be keto adapted. By then you can then drink when you are thirsty.
Rest assured that Ketogenic diets are often more nutrient rich than high-carb diets, as long as they are thought through a little, and it is perfectly healthy to eat low carb indefinitely.
:family2:

Hi all this is all very interesting to me as I have never heard of ketosis?! Abit confused tho lol x

There are a lot of messages saying that Ketosis is about eating protein and low carb food. Just to be clear it is fat which you should be consuming as your main energy source not protein.
:family2:

Indeed, and it can mean its simply incompatible with some postoppers. Certainly with bypassers, fat (healthy or otherwise) can make you dump.

I went to London for a long weekend to see some friends. I had more food than ususal (and drinks ;-) and now I'm no longer in ketosis. We'll see how long it'll take me to get into it, eating veg, fruit, meat and little carbs.

Alcohol, the ketosis killer. Body just loooooves ethanol, so easy to burn, baby, burn...

I can't drink alcohol any more, as it gives me insomnia, not that I have been a big drinker for a long time now anyway, so that's one thing I don't have to worry about! Small mercies, and all that... :D

I think you'll find that very deep purple means your badly dehydrated!!!!! The more ketones in urine is not good!!!!!! Drink more water and aim for light pink!!!!

Again, no, no and no! That is not true.

If you want to know if you're dehydrated, you don't need sticks, just look at your pee. If THAT is dark then you're dehydrated, the darker the worse. Ketostix however do not measure this, it measures ketones and that is all. You could have the lightest, palest wee and still get deep purple sticks.

As I said in a previous post. There are different urinalysis sticks available. SOME can indicate hydration, but not the ones that are being discussed. Bookie's right they measure the amount of ketones in the urine.

Back