• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Kettering area?

SCOOBYDOOBYDOO

Hi all,
I am a frequent lurker on these boards and have found them really friendly and helpful.
I have tried every diet going and am now at the point where I desperately want to have WLS. I think a gastric bypass is right for me from what I have read.
I have a doctors appointment on the 11th august and just wondered if there was anyone from around my area who has been approved for funding for weight loss surgery. Thanks
xx

Hiya

I am from Daventry,Northamptonshire. I did try to get my band fitted through the Northamptonshire PCT, but they said that I did not qualify, as I wasnt heavy enough and did not have any of the weight related health issues. Although they did not do that type of surgery in Northampton, I was referred to the Obesity Clinic at University Hospital, Coventry & Walsgrave. I was under their care for a year, trying all sorts including medication, which did not help me to lose the weight. After the year, I managed to raise my own money to have the band fitted by private surgeon. The obesity clinic still do my care, even though they did not do the surgery. I dont know about the Kettering side of Northamptonshire, but on this side, I would come under NGH, but they do not do WLS as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps.

MNL :)

I live in Northants, near Oundle, about 25 minutes from you. Northants have contracts for WLS with Birmingham Heartlands and Luton & Dunstable Hospital. My GP preferred Heartlands and I was referred there. I have my second appointment with them in 3 weeks time.

Apparently Northants now doesn't approve funding until the surgeon agrees to surgery and then the hospital applies for it. At least this is how my GP explained it to me.

Good luck with your appointment.

Hi all,
I am a frequent lurker on these boards and have found them really friendly and helpful.
I have tried every diet going and am now at the point where I desperately want to have WLS. I think a gastric bypass is right for me from what I have read.
I have a doctors appointment on the 11th august and just wondered if there was anyone from around my area who has been approved for funding for weight loss surgery. Thanks
xx

Hiya, I am about 5 minutes away from kettering and i am due to have a gastric band operation 29th september, I went to my doctors beginning of april to ask how likely it would be for me to be able to get a gastric band, she said you have a very good chance and she'd write a letter for me to the PCT, the end of April and i went back to see my doctor after recieving a letter that they want to see me, there she told me i had been accepted for surgery, i had to to choose between luton & dunstable and birmingham heartlands, i chose Birmingham, i recieved my first appointment for the 1st June to go and see Mr Super, i had my height and weight checked, seen Mr Super walking about but i seen one of his registrars, he asked what diets i had been on, so i told him you name it i have tried it, he asked if i was on any medication i said no, or any medical problems, i said no apart from being overweight, so he said you can come in as day case, i went to see the dietician where there was a seminar going on and there was 7 others in there with me, there she spoke about the band, the operation and the diet, gave us all a diet pack and said your appointments for surgery will arrive soon, after 4 weeks i called the hospital to see what was happening and she said Mr Super usually does his surgery appointments today but unfortunately he isnt in today so call back a week on friday, which i did and she said she would call me back, an hour later i got the call and was told my operation date was 29th september and to start the pre op diet end of August ( but i have started now ) as they want me to lose 5-10% of my body weight, my pre op assesment is 24th August. All in all for me its been a very quick process and i really didnt expect it to be so quick.

Good luck with your appointment on the 11th, keep in touch

Claire x

Back