• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

East Midlands/derbyshire area Criteria

VeronicaT

Gonna be thinner girl
Okay where to start. I live in Chesterfield but all of this info covers the East Midland area apparently.
Many of you know that i applied for funding and was refused last week. I had a BMI of 49.5 and other illnesses ( not diabetes or heart). I had more or less decided to cut my losses and go back to dieting - but NOT NOW!!. I telephoned Pals today (08007837279) for advice and a lovely lady called Jackie found out quite a bit for me.She told me that I was really close to getting approval, which i took to mean my BMI. She gave me the number of the man who decided on the criteria for WLS for the area. (Dave Giffad 01162950864)I telephoned to ask if i could have a copy of the criteria used for WLS funding. He wasn't available, but his secretary, Anita, called me back with the following link.
http://www.emscg.nhs.uk/Library/P010V1EMSCGCommissioningPolicyforaccesstoBariatricSurgeryV2.pdf

If you are from this area, this document tells you everything you need to know.
I would like to say that everyone that I have spoken to today has been more than helpful, so congrats to them for good customer service.
Anyway - getting to the point - I forgot that as you grow older you shrink slightly. I have always been 5'7" - well since my teens lol. Now I am 65, and thought I wonder if......... Anyway i asked my OH to measure me and I am now 5'6" - I have shrunk an inch!!. This now puts my BMI to 50.8 !! The criteria states a BMI over 50 qualifies for surgery. I am so excited - I just want my GP to comfirm all of this and I can appeal.

Vron I am thrilled!
This is very exciting! And it feels RIGHT!
I was so gutted for you and I really believe you should be getting the funding and that this surgery is for you!
You go for it girl and I am with you every inch of the way. If there's anything I can do to help at all, please don't hesitate to ask!

I don,t know why all the criteria,s are so different nice states if bmi is over 40 you should qualify, it's unfair that every pct adds there own criteria.

I agree with you Karen, but I think so many people are applying for the surgery now that some authorities have had to put extra limits on because they do not have the money available.It is def a postcode lottery. I just wish that NICE would consult all PCTs and they come up with a blanket set of criteria. It would make it so much easier for everyone.

who ever thought we could be pleased to have shrunk an inch! i am keeping everything crossed for you Vron
xxx

Trouble is Sugga the BMI level is 50, not 40 - unless you have comorbidities, then its 40. Unfortunately arthritis doesn't count - it seems to be mainly diabetes or heart conditions. Gonna see my GP on monday, so hoping to sort it out then.

have you been tested for sleep apneo veronika? i didnt think i had it and never realised i wake up in the night at all but that could be worth looking into because even if you have it mildly like it turns out i do then it can still help with getting your funding! hope you go on ok with your appeal and i wish you all the luck in the world - ill cross my finger for you hun xxx

Back