• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to site - prob being refered for WLS, Rotherham area..

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Hi all
Im new to this site, and im so glad ive found it! :D
Ive been to my GP today, and shes said im suitable for being refered for assessment for gastric band/bypass, but i have to try the tablets for a month first. She said they dont have much faith in the tablets but ive got to be seen to have tried everything.
Im 146kg, BMI of 54, and im 27. Apart from depression i have no other health problems.
Today i started a months course of Orlistat. I go back in 4 weeks where i will be given a prescription of Reductil, and then she will refer me to the surgeon in the new year.
Does any have any information for me about surgery/surgeons in my area, and the criteria, and funding from the PCT etc...
Im from Rotherham /Sheffield area

Many thanks!

Hi and welcome to minis, I have been referred for weight loss surgery and have been through all the hoops seeing surgeon etc. I found out on monday my PCT will fund the surgery but I have to go to see another surgeon at a different hospital etc so I am currently fighting this as it will take another six months where as the first surgeon would operate in two weeks. You have your GPs support and meet the criteria so they are good things to have, I would suggest you read a few threads, I have quite a lot on so they may be of use to you and just shout if you have any questions....good luck...xx

Hey FEDup, looked up the criteria for you -

Rotherham BMI over 50 or between 45-50 with severe comorbidities.

So you definately qualify :)

Not sure which Surgeon/Hospital they use, but there might be someone else on here from near you who can tell you!

Welcome to mini's, jump in and join in and you'll soon feel at home.

thats shel and charlie, thats very kind of you to reply.

So glad i meet the criteria!
I think actually my BMI may be slightly higher than 54, just found a calculator. Im going to boots 2moro to get weighed properly, then ill know for definite.

Thanks

:welcome: Fedup. This is a great place to be. It's a mine of information and I'm finding it v. useful for my own quest for wls.

I flat out refused diet pills after the GP suggested Rimonabant (Accomplia) on the day I requested a referral for wls. This was when news was filtering through that the drug should be withdrawn from use. She didn't seem aware of this. I refused drugs because I do not do well on them. Several years ago I tried reductil and it left me feeling peculiar to put it mildly. I am contemplating returning to a vlcd to get my bmi (currently 56) lower while I go through the NHS process for WLS. I hope all my attempts at a vlcd and other things done away from my GP will count as prior effort.

Keep us posted about your experience.

I'm in Rotherham, and went to see my doctor with a BMI of 59 to be told, no referral possible. B*stard. You obviously have a better doctor than I!

After being very depressed for a while, my strength kicked in and I thought 'Well, if you won't help me, I'll do it myself.'

Have lost 3st 7lbs in two months and still going strong.

Huge amounts of luck to you, I didn't have the energy or will to enter a battle for funding, I'm saving it for myself! :)

Last edited:
Hi well done on managing it yourself. It makes me mad that some areas have really high requirements and others dont I wish it was more universal and open to a lot more people. I know what you mean about the fight it is totally and utterly exhausting and one I sometimes wish I had not started. Keep up your good work...xx

I'm in Rotherham, and went to see my doctor with a BMI of 59 to be told, no referral possible. B*stard. You obviously have a better doctor than I.
:)

Just curious at to which practice your with?
Im with St Anns at Doncaster Gate. I did ask one doc about a year ago, but got fobbed off, even about the tablets. So this time i chose a diff doc, and she was really good.
Congrats on the weight loss! :bliss:

thanks everyone for your kind words, and support. I cant beleive i have never found this forum before. Theres been many a time ive wanted to cry and moan to people who truly know how it feels to be big.
So i started the orlistat tablets yesterday, and had spag bol for tea last nite, and today (sorry TMI) my stools are bright orange, with lots of orange oily stuff, which i think is the fat. Im assuming this is normal?

So i started the orlistat tablets yesterday, and had spag bol for tea last nite, and today (sorry TMI) my stools are bright orange, with lots of orange oily stuff, which i think is the fat. Im assuming this is normal?
It's normal to a point. But be warned, make sure it's a low fat diet you eat because you do not want a 'pooey oil slick'. It's not pleasant and the smell lingers. Happened to me once when I thought I would use up my sister's abandoned orlistat tabs to cheat on my vlcd. Ignored the low fat rule and suffered the uncontrollable oil slick in the car on the way to an interview. Cancelled the interview due allegedly to 'ill-health' and I swear I can still smell the stuff in the car months later.

It's normal to a point. But be warned, make sure it's a low fat diet you eat because you do not want a 'pooey oil slick'. It's not pleasant and the smell lingers. Happened to me once when I thought I would use up my sister's abandoned orlistat tabs to cheat on my vlcd. Ignored the low fat rule and suffered the uncontrollable oil slick in the car on the way to an interview. Cancelled the interview due allegedly to 'ill-health' and I swear I can still smell the stuff in the car months later.
LOL...i had planned to stick to my usual 'diet'. I know what u mean about the oil slick...(TMI)...but i darent pass wind unless im on the toilet!! lol :sign0137:
TBH im not sure why im trying them, when even my own GP doesnt think they will work. Ive just got to have tried them for when she refers me.
Im also aching, back, tummy, knees..not sure if this is a side effect or if ive just over done it today.

Hey FEDup, looked up the criteria for you -

Rotherham BMI over 50 or between 45-50 with severe comorbidities.

So you definately qualify :)

Not sure which Surgeon/Hospital they use, but there might be someone else on here from near you who can tell you!

Welcome to mini's, jump in and join in and you'll soon feel at home.

Where do you find out (a) the criteria for your area, and (b) what hospital/surgeon they use?

Thanks Plus :thankyou:

NICE Guideline criteria plus at least 12 months dietary or pharmacotherapy.

What the heck does that mean?!! :confused:

NICE Guideline criteria plus at least 12 months dietary or pharmacotherapy.

What the heck does that mean?!! :confused:
Hi DQ,
Some PCT's want you to show that you have tried weight management (diet, exercise) usually with a centre they recommend or that you used a variety of weight loss drugs and not succeeded before they will consider wls. Honestly, anyone who is considering surgery is usually doing so as a last resort after years of trying everything and anything.

Oh ok, thanks honey :thankyou:

Hi and Welcome

I live in the Bassetlaw Primary Trust area and i have been on Olistat for about 4yrs off and on,but earlier this yr we had a locum doctor who suggested i tried reductil,after a few weeks i received a letter from my practice saying they didnt recommend reductil and i was to come off it straight away,i went to my doctor and asked if i could have a referal for bypass/banding as i was fed up of yoyo dieting.
Within 2 months of seeing my doctor i received a appointment to see Mr Roger Ackroyd (biatric surgeon)at Sheffield Hallamshire Hospital,and within 3 months of seeing him i had a date for my bypass operation so for me it was so quick.
But i know it is a very different story for alot of people on here and i wish it was so straight forward across the UK but it isnt to be :mad:.

Good Luck.

Di x

Back