• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to site - prob being refered for WLS, Rotherham area..

Hi and Welcome

I live in the Bassetlaw Primary Trust area and i have been on Olistat for about 4yrs off and on,but earlier this yr we had a locum doctor who suggested i tried reductil,after a few weeks i received a letter from my practice saying they didnt recommend reductil and i was to come off it straight away,i went to my doctor and asked if i could have a referal for bypass/banding as i was fed up of yoyo dieting.
Within 2 months of seeing my doctor i received a appointment to see Mr Roger Ackroyd (biatric surgeon)at Sheffield Hallamshire Hospital,and within 3 months of seeing him i had a date for my bypass operation so for me it was so quick.
But i know it is a very different story for alot of people on here and i wish it was so straight forward across the UK but it isnt to be :mad:.

Good Luck.

Di x

Thanks for that. I had actually read ur story, but wasnt sure if u were private or nhs, til now.

When you got a date for ur bypass, how long was that?

I have read a lot about Mr Ackroyd, him being a leading surgeon in the field.
Does he put you at ease? Im sure you were nervous about the bypass, was he ok with you?

Good luck with ur weight loss! xxx

After my first appointment at the Hallamshire,i did get a pre assessment appointment quite quick but then i had to have a sleep apnea test and see a doctor at Doncaster.R.I.which took a few weeks as the results got lost somewhere ,i was told i didnt need a cpap machine,(if i did i was told i would have to be on it for 3 months prior my op.)
I was also told that the operation is carried out within 12 weeks of your pre-assessment,if the apnea tests were ok and mine was.
As for did Mr Ackroyd putting me at ease ? i only actually met him the morning of my bypass surgery,i saw one of his understudies at the Hallamshire and his secretary asked him if he would do the Intragastric Balloon for me after the bypass failed so i only met him once.But there are others on here that sing his praises.

Thankyou for your good luck wishes

Di xx

thanks for your posts blondemoment...

sorry i keep asking loads of questions, but just wanted to know if the sleep apnea test was standard for everyone wanting WLS, or did you have it for other reasons. Hope that makes sense! :)

No worries ask away,you will find on here if someone doesnt know the answer then someone else will,everyone is friendly and helpful.
When i went for my pre-assessment i had a questionaire to fill in about sleep patterns it is a score chart really,like how likely are you to fall asleep while reading,watching tv and driving etc and it all depends on those scores.

Oh Btw you may have the chance to have the operation in the private Thornbury Clinic in Sheffield as the NHS have some beds in there,i was one of the lucky ones :eek: also they dont keep you admitted as long as the Hallamshire do either.But if you have to have the cpap machine then unfortunately you do have to go in the Hallamshire.

Di
xx

thanks so much for the words of advice. Roll on the new year!! Oh and i hope i get to the choice to go to Thornbury. I imagine its much nicer, quiter, cleaner, and less stressful.

Morning,

Not sure about that,my bed and another patients bed were put in the room with ward sisters desk in it :eek:,maybe they were full at the inn,but when i had the balloon fitted at the Hallamshire i had a side room all to myself :p.

Good Luck on your journey,and i have added you as a friend.

Di
xxx

Back