• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Knee pain

Blondie43

Please someone tell me the pain will lesson as I lose weight.
I was diagnosed with severe arthritis of the knee in the summer after suffering months of pain, even though I'm bigger I've always been really fit, but due to the pain I can hardly walk any distance at all at the moment. I've had a steroid injection which helped at the time and I have tramadol for when it's too much, but they space me out so can't take them often. I'm also going to physio but she's only given me a couple of exercises to strengthen my leg! I'm hopefully getting my op around March next year and am hoping things start to get better then as I lose weight.
I'd love to hear from anyone else who has this problem.

Thanks

Aud xx

top_kat

im finding the opposite and as I've lost weight the pain has increased, I have arthritic joints in my feet and toes and can no longer run, the pain is just immense,...and yet, 11 stone heavier it didn't hurt at all...

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
I'm with top cat on this too ...it's almost like I have lost the cushioning as the weight has come off. However I can still do lots more than I could at over 27 Stone. Just don't ask me to run or kneel down!

Blondie43

Thanks for the replies ladies, at least if ( when) I lose weight if the pain doesn't improve I can fight my corner for a replacement xx

Curls40

My knee pain got worse as the weight came off too, after an mri was told I have arthritis and, had a clean out and trim up in knee now and on the road to recovery, three months done the line still not 100% but much better than it was,

weegie

Oh :(. Last few weeks my knee has gotten much worse. I have been putting off doing anything about it as my bypass is due on the 10th. Not sure how I would have coped had I not grabbed a box of Tramadol as I was leaving on holiday. They space me out too, but I have very few option for pain relief as am allergic to many analgesics. I really really was hoping when the weight come off it would get better. It did with my band. I will have to see the GP before I go for my op as I will need something for the pain and my Tramadol, which were left over from a back injury, have run out. My husband wanted to cancel the holiday because I was walking so badly and I persuaded him I could cope... The next few days will be interesting, not.

Curls40

Tramdol works on the nerve endings, had this after my op, had my by pass and knee op in the space of six months , been a tough time

weegie

Tramdol works on the nerve endings, had this after my op, had my by pass and knee op in the space of six months , been a tough time
Oh luv I can imagine. You have done brilliantly to get through all that and still lose weight. Looking fab as well :). How much physio do you still get ?

Curls40

I get nothing , just given a list of exercises do do at home , which I didn't really bother with , I'm a gardener and found that I could incorporate them into this and just walking up and down stairs

Blondie43

Ok an update on my knee since losing weight. Today sees me at a 5 stone loss and losing this amount has seen a big difference to my mobility and pain! I know longer need a stick to walk with, I will happily go to the shop less than 150 metres away ( something I wouldn't do before ). I started exercising again, I've walked more and went swimming - I was a little stiff after this but a long soak with Epsom salts made me feel much better! I was in chronic pain for 18 months and my knee was always on my mind, yes it still twinges but nowhere near as bad and it's no longer a focus for me! I must have twisted about the pain all the time, as my nearest and dearest have commented I don't mention my knee anymore! Is it cured - no! Is it now bearable - hell yes!

weegie

Ok an update on my knee since losing weight. Today sees me at a 5 stone loss and losing this amount has seen a big difference to my mobility and pain! I know longer need a stick to walk with, I will happily go to the shop less than 150 metres away ( something I wouldn't do before ). I started exercising again, I've walked more and went swimming - I was a little stiff after this but a long soak with Epsom salts made me feel much better! I was in chronic pain for 18 months and my knee was always on my mind, yes it still twinges but nowhere near as bad and it's no longer a focus for me! I must have twisted about the pain all the time, as my nearest and dearest have commented I don't mention my knee anymore! Is it cured - no! Is it now bearable - hell yes!

This is the best news, really, I hope it continues to improve. :)

I am still waiting for x-ray results. My GP is phoning me July 3rd to discuss them so its all up in the air. There was an improvement when it was rested during my recovery from my bypass 2 weeks ago, but noticing the pain increase each day as I get more active. The thought that it may become bearable is really encouraging. Thanks for posting your update hun x

weegie

Just a quick update. Had that GP telephone appointment yesterday and after all that my knee is fine. All the pain I was told is transferred from my hip which is not OK. I have severe arthritis in my left hip, where I do experience some pain but nowhere near that which I get in my knee. :eek:

Anyway have been referred to an Orthopaedic surgeon to see about a replacement. Am going go to see how long the wait is and then decide if yet again I should take the private route, our health insurance might cover it. Knee is agony at the moment as was on my feet for longer than usual yesterday. I guess weight loss will help with making surgery easier but in itself wont cure my pain. Sort of relieved it was hip rather than knee to be honest :)

sharon2014

Just a quick update. Had that GP telephone appointment yesterday and after all that my knee is fine. All the pain I was told is transferred from my hip which is not OK. I have severe arthritis in my left hip, where I do experience some pain but nowhere near that which I get in my knee. :eek: Anyway have been referred to an Orthopaedic surgeon to see about a replacement. Am going go to see how long the wait is and then decide if yet again I should take the private route, our health insurance might cover it. Knee is agony at the moment as was on my feet for longer than usual yesterday. I guess weight loss will help with making surgery easier but in itself wont cure my pain. Sort of relieved it was hip rather than knee to be honest :)

Oh hope the appointment is quick for you!! I have issues with my knee and sometimes hip! Feel your pain!!!! X

weegie

Oh hope the appointment is quick for you!! I have issues with my knee and sometimes hip! Feel your pain!!!! X

Thanks Sharon, will ask on Tuesday when I see my GP. If the initial weight is more than a few weeks I will look at Ross Hall. I know the Golden Jubilee has a well oiled machine for hip ops as my MIL has had 2 done recently but she lives in Ayrshire and I am not sure where Glasgow refers us. The x-ray took 4 weeks to come through which is bonkers.

sharon2014

Thanks Sharon, will ask on Tuesday when I see my GP. If the initial weight is more than a few weeks I will look at Ross Hall. I know the Golden Jubilee has a well oiled machine for hip ops as my MIL has had 2 done recently but she lives in Ayrshire and I am not sure where Glasgow refers us. The x-ray took 4 weeks to come through which is bonkers.

Ah good luck!! I hear good things about he golden jubilee!!! 4 weeks for an X-ray is crazy!!!! X

Blondie43

Just a quick update. Had that GP telephone appointment yesterday and after all that my knee is fine. All the pain I was told is transferred from my hip which is not OK. I have severe arthritis in my left hip, where I do experience some pain but nowhere near that which I get in my knee. :eek: Anyway have been referred to an Orthopaedic surgeon to see about a replacement. Am going go to see how long the wait is and then decide if yet again I should take the private route, our health insurance might cover it. Knee is agony at the moment as was on my feet for longer than usual yesterday. I guess weight loss will help with making surgery easier but in itself wont cure my pain. Sort of relieved it was hip rather than knee to be honest :)

Hope you get sorted very soon, as someone who has suffered from extreme pain for a while now I know how debilitating that can be. I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones for who losing weight has had a positive impact!

Aud xx

weegie

Hope you get sorted very soon, as someone who has suffered from extreme pain for a while now I know how debilitating that can be. I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones for who losing weight has had a positive impact!

Aud xx

Just a quick update, all booked in for October 5 for a hip replacement. It cannot come soon enough as the pain gets worse every day in both knee and hip. Not a great help in my honeymoon period of wls but nothing can be done.

My only advice is if anyone had pain in their joints, go see someone about it asap.

Hope you continue to improve Aud. hugx

ZombieBex

eeep i was refereed for my gp due to the pain im getting from the arthritis in my back hips and knees, i could barely walk - so far the weight loss has lessened but this is my worse fear that the pain wont go

mrsjm

I've had knee pain since the age of 16, when i was a size 12, i get pain in bed as my tree trunk legs are so darn heavy when laying on my side. Dr says this will ease with weight loss but i'm not so sure :/

i hope the pain eases for you

weegie

eeep i was refereed for my gp due to the pain im getting from the arthritis in my back hips and knees, i could barely walk - so far the weight loss has lessened but this is my worse fear that the pain wont go

OA pain is the pits. Sorry to hear you are also suffering I can relate. At least weight loss will slow down the damage the extra weight we carry can cause. And if you end up like me needing an op, its much better for recovery to be lighter. I am wishing away my weight at the moment to give me the best chance of quick recovery, its stubborn though no matter how good I am. Grr.