• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Port Replacement

westiedog

Has anyone had a port replacement? If you have what was the recovery time and what could you eat afterwards? Is it the same as when you first get your band done?

Many thanks in advance.

Deflated westiedog x

Hi westie
What's happened for you to need a new port ?
Mindy
Xxxx

I woke up one morning and no restriction at all. It felt like I had no band at all and I knew there was something definately wrong when I wanted apples and tomatoes ( I went off these straight away when I had the band). I went to THG for a fluid check with approx 3-4ml missing. Had a refill and two weeks later same again and had a refill. They then sent me for a barium x-ray which showed no restriction and a defill showed further fluid loss but no apparent leak. The doctor filled me again under x-ray and by the next morning no restriction again. The opinion is I have an awkward slow leak so the surgeon wants to replace the port initially as this is the usual place for a leak and if it still leaks then it will be further surgery. THG have been fantastic with me unlike some other stories on here. I have had to go on slimming world just to keep a lid on things as I put on a stone in about 7 weeks. Had a few sleepless nights over this as you lose the feeling of being in control x

Wow ! I can totally see how I would go off the rails if I felt like there was no restriction now .. I really hope they sort it for ASAP ..
Xxxx

Oh dear! I totally sympathise with your feelings about loss of restriction as I am empty-banded until end of November due to oesophagus dilation. (4 months in total). Fortunately no weight gain here just as yet.

Well had surgery yesterday and the surgeon cut the tube next to the port and they injected fluid into the tube into the detached port. Port totally knackered and was apparently spurting like a watering can. Port has been replaced and attached to my original tubing - the surgeon is confident this is the end of my problems. I have a Bioring band and apparently they never fail... ah well - 4 weeks to wait for a fill x

Here's hoping ! How you feeling otherwise .

Hi Westiedog

Can I ask how things are since having your new port? has the weight loss continued again now? Is the rest of the band ok? I currently have no port, it made its way out my body and so they removed it lol,

when I asked for port replacement they told me i would need a complete new system? saying that if they just replaced the port the other parts could fail within week? now i'm being told I have to wait 3 months before the band can be removed (to allow wound to heal completely) then wait another 3 months to have replacement band? But I did wonder if a change of port would be sufficient....feeling like I'm being looked at as a cash machine!

Cazbo

@Cazbo, unfortunately @westiedog hasnt been on the site since October last year so not sure she will see this.

I'm back again. I got the port replaced and all is back no the same restriction. It was under warranty at the Hospital Group but they would not put a further warranty on the bit replaced. A bit crappy when it wasn't my fault. Still dropping weight very slowly but I am now at a perfect weight for my frame.

Back