• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Side effects of the sleeve.

DEANO76

Well i thought i would post the side effects i am having since having a sleeve, i am 2 weeks post op.

I always feel tired and drained, no matter what part of the day.
I get hot and cold flushes.
Bad Breath.
The smell/taste of certain foods now makes me feel sick or i do throw up.
I constantly have weird pains in my stomach/belly and i cant explain what they mean.
I get dizzy very quickly.
My concentration and memory has gone, i tend to zone out quite a lot as well.
Constipation and trapped wind. even though i walk as much as i can.
I get depressed quite easily when it comes to eating, not wanting to socalise where people will be eating.

The upsides,

Dont ever feel hungry and the weight is coming off.

Last edited:
oh god doesnt sound good,hope it gets better for u soon xx

Awww Deano. Hopefully lots of these things are to do with the aneathesia that is still in your system. Get you BP checked for the dizziness as it may have dropped with the weight you've lost. The pains in your stomach could just be where it's still a bit swollen, it takes around 6 weeks for it to heal and the swelling to go down.
Hope you'll be feeling much better soon, I'm sure you will, and once you're off purees you'll be able to join your friends when they go out for dinner and enjoy a smaller portion of what they're having.

Love Kate x

Awww Deano. Hopefully lots of these things are to do with the aneathesia that is still in your system. Get you BP checked for the dizziness as it may have dropped with the weight you've lost. The pains in your stomach could just be where it's still a bit swollen, it takes around 6 weeks for it to heal and the swelling to go down.
Hope you'll be feeling much better soon, I'm sure you will, and once you're off purees you'll be able to join your friends when they go out for dinner and enjoy a smaller portion of what they're having.

Love Kate x

I am putting most of the symptoms down to such a reduction in calories and not eating prop food.

Hi Deano,
as a 4 month sleeve post-opper I can hopefully answer some of your concerns.
At the moment your body is adjusting to the lack of enrgy you are putting in.
In the bad old days you were probably consuming well in excess of 2000 calories a day, now assuming you are sticking rigidly to the diet the hospital gave you you intkae is probably less that 700 calories. that's a huge change and it takes the best part of a month before the body starts to burn the fat to get the energy it needs.
Once that happens you will have plenty of energy..believe me!

I too had the dizziness and found it was becasue I was getting up too quickly once I understood what was causing it and made a few adjustments to the way I do things it stopped. It can also be a sign of low blood pressure so make sure you get your GP to check it for you.

Constipation and trapped wind are 2 of the early side effects of WLS and these do get better as the weeks pass.

At 3 weeks out I was still on a liquid diet and so the thought of eating out never really entered my head. I do eat out now though although I probably only eat less than half of my meal or if the starters are really good I just have one of those instead.
You haven't mentioned what your current eating habbits are or what the hospital have told you you should be eating, but you MUST above all else make sure you are getting the right amount of protein in your system.
Protein first, then Veg and then carbs. Carbohydrates are notorious for making you feel lethargic and they are one of the easiest things for the body to burn for energy. A typical sunday roast for me at the moment is: -
2 slices of beef
1 baked parsnip
1 baked Carrot
1 tblspoon Cabbage
1 Roast potato (my favorite part of the meal 5 months ago)
The potato invariably doesn't get eaten as I leave it until the end and by the time I get that far I'm full.

I guess the short version of all this is you've just had a major change to your body and it will take time to adjust. If you arwe worried about anything at all then you should of course go and see your GP and and get things checked.
I hope thi shas helped in some way and that you don;t have any regrets about having the surgery. I don't and I've lost 67lb since september 23rd last year.

Good luck with the new you and I hope all your concerns fade away along with the weight :)

I'm only 5 days post op and surprisingly feeling quite good. Full of energy, it's killing me knowing I can't do anything and I have to sit round and heal lol. Hope u feel better soon xx

The worst part is feeling sick through the smell of food, i work in a small office and somebodies just put a curry in the microwave and i think i am going to have to throw up.

Well i thought i would post the side effects i am having since having a sleeve, i am 3 weeks post op.

I constantly have weird pains in my stomach/belly and i cant explain what they mean.
I get depressed quite easily when it comes to eating, not wanting to socalise where people will be eating.

The upsides,

Hi, Sorry to hear that you are not feeling good. By my calculations if you had the op on 24th January 2012 (your profile says 2011) then you are only 2 weeks post op so at that stage I felt very weak and definitely did not feel/want to eat with others. Also I find even now I find the smell of some foods cooking makes me feel sick. I concur with what Brian T has said to you to. It is early days and things will improve unfortunately it does take time. It is amazing to me that you are back at work so that is another challenge you have which I fortunately did not. Wishing you all the best on your new journey. Kind regards,

Well i thought i would post the side effects i am having since having a sleeve, i am 3 weeks post op.

The upsides,

DEANO76 said:
The worst part is feeling sick through the smell of food, i work in a small office and somebodies just put a curry in the microwave and i think i am going to have to throw up.

Hi Deano

I am going through the same things your not alone I am 9days post op after sleeve , I am light headed , feeling sick , no energy at all keep having palpitations and doctors found out I have a inregular heart beat but this may be due to my thyroid problem I have , plus doctor told me it cause change in diet , I have lost 9 lbs plus 18lbs pre op , I also have a small restriction which I am find hard to get liquid foods down but my team are keep a close eye on me hope you feel better soon xxx

Awwwww heck i guess its just a waiting game for you to heal and re adjust (((hug))).
Great to see you doing so well Brian !!! hope i do as well as you have :)

Hi, Sorry to hear that you are not feeling good. By my calculations if you had the op on 24th January 2012 (your profile says 2011) then you are only 2 weeks post op so at that stage I felt very weak and definitely did not feel/want to eat with others. Also I find even now I find the smell of some foods cooking makes me feel sick. I concur with what Brian T has said to you to. It is early days and things will improve unfortunately it does take time. It is amazing to me that you are back at work so that is another challenge you have which I fortunately did not. Wishing you all the best on your new journey. Kind regards,

The upsides,

Yes, i just checked the calender it is only 2 weeks, just seems longer i guess. Also just added Bad breath.

i am having gastric sleeve op on 09th march brian and i thought you responses to deano's 'difficulties' were really informative and supportive. i have duly noted your advice just in case i have any of these occurrences.
many thanks
jan xx

i am having gastric sleeve op on 09th march brian and i thought you responses to deano's 'difficulties' were really informative and supportive. i have duly noted your advice just in case i have any of these occurrences.
many thanks
jan xx

Thanks Jan, It's not an easy ride going through what we do despite what some might say but it is really useful to be able to come on here and find out if the niggles are normal or if you're just being paranoid. I know I was and if it hadn't been for some of the people on here I may well have pulled out of my op a long time ago.
before you know it the 9th of March will be here and you'll be polishing the bench along with the rest of us :)

I am ten weeks post sleeve. I remember feeling pretty crap two weeks out...a real case of buyer's remorse! But then things started to get better and now I feel great. I don't feel sick , I've lost 36lbs, and I'm looking amazing even if I say so myself LOL. Give yourself time, and for heaven's sake make sure you're taking all your multivitamins of a good potency; some of the vitamins out there are rubbish. I started feeling better almost immediately I changed my multivits.

So I wouldn't call it a side effect of the sleeve because not all sleevies have it; it's what you are suffering right now, and has been said, your body is in shock. Time, time time.

Oh...constipation..hm yes...I do get that. I take bisocodyl and lactulose every couple of days to clear that. But I was taking Manevac granules every day pre op so I obviously have a problem in that department!

Hi! I am nine weeks post sleeve. I am feeling great - have plenty energy and no dizziness etc. I was shocked after the op at how 'strange' it felt to drink and get liquids down. Now, 9 weeks on I can drink ok, but even now I am still surprised how little food I can eat, and how uncomfortable it is to eat even one mouthful too much.

But I am persevering, and enjoying having different tastes again as I move onto 'normal' foods. And I did go out for a meal with friends on Monday evening. I ordered a starter for a main course. Ate less than a third of it! But joined in with the chat etc and had a great time. Next time i think I might just pinch some of their food!

As you can see, everyones experience is different. But we are all losing weight. Result!

Crackers x

Hiya I'm 11weeks post op from the sleeve and I felt the same as you and left it till I was 6weeks out before seeing the doctor it turns out that I have a leak.
The reason I would tell you to see the doctor now is because you will feel a lot worse if you don't get it checked.
The bad breath/taste is what made me feel really bad too.
are you having pain in left shoulder??
I'm NOT saying you have a leak but just see the doctor to be safe!
I wish you all the best and if you need a chat I'm here.
Cathy x

Hiya I'm 11weeks post op from the sleeve and I felt the same as you and left it till I was 6weeks out before seeing the doctor it turns out that I have a leak.
The reason I would tell you to see the doctor now is because you will feel a lot worse if you don't get it checked.
The bad breath/taste is what made me feel really bad too.
are you having pain in left shoulder??
I'm NOT saying you have a leak but just see the doctor to be safe!
I wish you all the best and if you need a chat I'm here.
Cathy x

I havent got a pain in my shoulder but my back has been aching just recently.

It doesn't sound like you are ready to be back at work yet?

Hi Dean076

I'm not sure the tiredness does get better? Having said that I can only talk from personal experience. I'm now almost 9 months post op and I've lost 7st 3lbs to date, so I'm certainly not complaining :)
However, I'm still really struggling with feeling so lethargic. I'm on double the daily dose of multi vitamins and have had various blood tests which have all come back normal. Most evenings by 9.00pm I'm asleep which is really sad I know! I can only assume it's because I'm eating so much less these days, in fact really tiny amounts. I very rarely manage even the middle of a tea plate for my evening meal.
I hope your tiredness improves. Keep us posted ;-)

Xx

Back