• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Side effects of Orlistat...

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Im on my 3rd day of Orlistat, and i keep getting headaches, and lots of nausea, and hot flushes which isnt normal for me. Our house isnt hot. Temp in the room is only 18c. I feel dreadful sometimes. :cry:

Are these side effects of Orlistat?

(TMI but...) Plus i have the orange oily stools, and i darent pass wind as i get the oily discharge.
3 days in and its getting unbearable.

Bearing in mind my GP doesnt think they will work but has just given me them so ive tried everything before referal for WLS.
Should i go back to the GP and try the other tablets, or wait the month til my next app?

Orange oily stools is a side effect, as is the wind discharge! Its because orlistat stops you from absorbing fats so most of the fat you eat goes straight through. Best way to prevent it is to avoid fats as much as physically possible. For some, that effect is so unbearable that it's enough reason to stop, as some people have such a severe reaction to fats that accidents happen!

Not sure about the other effects, have you checked the leaflet that came with them?

never heard of them causing hot flushes but they cause severe orange dioreah if any foods with a fat content is eaten

Thanks, in the leaflet it says that nausea is a symptom of cases of rare allergice reaction, as is "feeling unwell".
It doesnt mention headaches or hot flushes.

In that case go back to your GP tomorrow if you can, and check with her. It could be that you're coming down with something though? Sounds flu-y.

Give NHS Direct a quick call now to get their advice --> 0845 4647

And then would pop and see your GP tomorrow.

I have heard that orange poo is well known as it is oily affect of the fat. But as always best to take proper medical advice so give them a call and see what they think.

Mike

Thank you everyone. I'll let u know how i get on.

I dont feel like im coming down with anything, sometimes i feel fine, then the nausea, headaches and flushes start.

Hi Fedup

I found this list on the xenical website
  • oily spotting in your undergarments;
  • oily or fatty stools;
  • orange or brown colored oil in your stool;
  • gas with discharge, an oily discharge;
  • loose stools, or an urgent need to go to the bathroom, inability to control bowel movements;
  • an increased number of bowel movements; or
  • stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, rectal pain.
Other side effects that may occur while taking Xenical include:
  • problems with your teeth or gums;
  • cold or flu symptoms;
  • headache, back pain; or
  • skin rash or itching.
No mention of the hot flushes tho :confused:

Di xx

I'd put hot flushes under flu-like symptoms. I think Mike has the right idea with calling NHS Direct, it's what they're there for and it might put your mind at rest.

I tried those tablets for 18 months. I got on great. At first it was tough but after a while things settle down. I lost 7 stone in total.

I had to try the tablets before the doctor could recommend me as a patient to the obesity clinic. The PCT want to see that you have tried everything else before they will hand out any funding.

Good luck with you weight loss journey.

thanks everyone. I havent had a tablet since yesterday morning, and i feel better today, although still bloated, and feel windy. The hot flushes i put down to needing to go to the toilet, as i get that all the time without the tablets. (I think i have IBS)
Im going to try and take one tablet a day, instead of 3, and see if that helps, and prob go back to the docs later in the week if its no better.

i was on them but was lucky to get no side effects i stuck to such a low fat diet i never got the orangy oily problem did aggrivate another condition i had tho so had to stop them , like all tablets not everything is good for everyone go back to your dr's if your reacting to them still taking one is gona keep the stuff in your system plus you need them with each meal to get any benifit

i was on them but was lucky to get no side effects i stuck to such a low fat diet i never got the orangy oily problem did aggrivate another condition i had tho so had to stop them , like all tablets not everything is good for everyone go back to your dr's if your reacting to them still taking one is gona keep the stuff in your system plus you need them with each meal to get any benifit

Thanks. Im really not one to make a fuss, and it takes all ive got to go to the docs. Im so desperate and impatient. Do you think the doc will understand if i go back earlier, and tell her?

Thanks. Im really not one to make a fuss, and it takes all ive got to go to the docs. Im so desperate and impatient. Do you think the doc will understand if i go back earlier, and tell her?

yes hun if they making you feel ill then you really should they need to know there may be other alternatives you can try, you could also ring the helpline the orlistat people run and chat to them they may alos be able to help

what kind of things have you been eating. maybe keep a food diary for a few days and then go back if still having problems.
hope it sorts itself out foe you
HC

hi
I am on these and have been approx 2 years on and off, yes the orange oil is horrid and I have always had it even if eating something sensible I only have 1 tablet a day and even if i stop taking them this continues for a couple of days i.e. going on holiday and not taking them
never had headaches hot flushes etc...
I would get it checked out
xx

Thanks.
I have an app with GP tomorrow to talk about how im feeling. Ive only taken one today, and still got stomach cramps, and the top of my stomach is very tender, and feels easily winded. Ive also got a headache too.

Hi Neeta, you have managed to pick up a post that was started Nov 2008, and the lucky OP went on to have her bypass April 09. So no more Orlistat for her.

I didn't get on with it either, horrid side effects from the bottom area!

Back