• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lap-Band: Gastric Band hasnt worked for me

hollywood30

Well, its been almost 15 months since my op and lost nothing. In the first few weeks I lost weight due to liquid diet but since then nothing. My band doesnt work for me. Doesnt make me less hungry only restricts how big of a mouthful I can have. If I go any tighter I cant eat solid food so its a lose lose situation for me. I wish Id of never got my band as its been a nightmare from the start. A total waste of my money. Devastated beyond belief. Only got 9 months left of having free fills and Im not hopeful. If anyone has any similar experiences Id like to hear your story and what you did to help. Dont know what to do anymore Im so gutted it hasnt worked for me :'(

whats your daily diet and hare you having small tweeking fills or have you just had larger ones? my fills sometimes were only dribbles of fluid but can make a difference. the band alone is not going to make you loose weight you have to follow a eating lifestyle change with it

I know this. The point is i dont feel any different as in portion sizes. Im having tiny fills but still does not work. If i had 0.25 of a ml put in now id be bringing up any solid food.

Hi
I often feel like you. There are some really 'wow' success stories on here and I think for some, something just clicks in their brain after surgery and they get in the zone but for others their relationship with food is just the same. I was banded in Feb 2012 and I've lost 35 pounds which is no where near as good as some of the losers on here. I often think 'it isn't working' or 'I wish I hadn't bothered' but when i sit and think about it there are positives..I have lost weight, albeit slowly but it is moving. There are days when i can eat more than others and days when I can really feel its there, but I couldn't eat a whole chinese to myself nor could I eat a macdonalds so I see that as a step i the right direction. Also when I am 'naughty' or have a few drinks I rarely gain but just stay the same where as before, a weekend away with the girls could see me gain 7 pounds!! Push your provider for more support these Ops are not cheap and I think sometimes people are just scared to ask. I slowed right down recently and lost nothing for months on end so i've joined weight watchers and I've lost 4 pound in 2 weeks and just that little boost as made we more confident and has got me back in the zone. Don't give up, you're still lighter than you were when you started so surely you must feel a little bit good about that??

Chin up
Emma xxx

i think we often think that automatically the band will take away the feelings of hunger - it doesn't! even at 11 months in mine hasn't at all and with very minimal restriction I can eat exactly what I did pre band, both in terms of food and portion sizes, IF I allowed myself too. It is really hard when we don't have that restriction, but it doesn't have to be a "lose lose" situation!

All to your provider, get them to help you with foods that you can eat and consider following something such as sw orcweight watchers.

If we are taking on less calories and using them via exercise we will lose. Band averages 1-2lb loss but for some it can be slower. I would speak to your provider and rule out any thing that could be wrong, but we have to put a great deal of effort in with the band and it doesn't always take the hunger away or reduce portion sizes and that falls down to us and what we eat.

I'm in exactly the same position, 16 months down the line, and I've PUT ON almost 2 stone. Any weight I lost was before the band. I feel no restriction, always hungry and nothing fills me for more than a couple of hours at most.
I really wish I never had this done.

Even though I've upgraded I'm a firm believer that it is you that have failed the and not the band that has failed you.

Go back to basics with the support of your dietician and take it slow to start again.

In hindsight and due to many NHS not fitting them now I do think that they should be withdrawn in my own humble opinion.

I lost most of my weight with the band by merging the rules with my lifestyle and the ridiculous amount of food fads that I have with my very nice dietician

I don't know much about bands, but have you had an xray etc to check that the band isn't leaking or malfunctioning? It sounds like it should be a little bit more effective than it has been? x

Ok girls, lets try and get this sorted.

Hollywood30 - please get in touch with your provider, you have 9 months of your aftercare left but hopefully you get access to a dietician with that?

Start recording what you eat - be honest. Post it on here or myfitness pal and then discuss it with the dietician.

It sounds like you don't need another fill but some tweaking to your diet might just help kick start the loss.

If you post on the daily diet thread we can all offer you some pearls of wisdom but ultimately its your providers rules you need to stick with.

Gnomes - similar advice for you hun. I know you have had issues getting fills etc - but its time to get back to basics.

Right down what you are eating, stick to texture rather than slider. Protein, veg, fruit and carbs last.

ThinnerJemima - what on earth made you make that comment? That's not support, in fact its damn right rude!

Just because you feel you have moved up a class don't think that gives you carte blanche to post your own brand of 'support' all over the band threads.

Edited to add: Just to be clear it is the comment 'upgraded' that I felt was objectionable.

Last edited:
Thank you Mazza for some great advice and support.
On my app's I only ever see the nurse for a fill, I've never actually seen the dietician

I have had my band for six months and it has been a roller coaster journey of losses and then no losses.

What I have learnt is that the having a band alone will not make you lose wieght. I wouldn't say the band has failed you, I would say that you need to work with the band to create an active way of losing.

I agree that using myfitnesspal is the way to go, because you would be surprised how much how we can eat unconsciously, whilst believing we are hardly eating.
Personally I'm still struggling to lose wieght at the rate that I want but I have noticed I am making better food decisions. However I still struggle to up my protein I take and reduce carb/sugar calories.

Weight loss is an individual process and we often think a system is a one fit for all. Have a real analysis of the type of eater you are. Do you eat alot of food I.e. large food portions or are you a grazer of high calorie foods.

Don't give up. Just start afresh. Good luck

Last edited:
My band failed me, it was far too tight, it had slipped badly and cut into my stomach and my port had flipped. They only way we found that out is by having a barium swallow.

Go back to your provider and ask them for an x-ray or a barium swallow. If a slippage can be ruled out, then they may have to completely de-fill (un-fill??) and re-fill again slowly to find your happy spot. You have 9 months left so that will give you time to do that. Good luck :)

Best of luck.

Well, its been almost 15 months since my op and lost nothing. In the first few weeks I lost weight due to liquid diet but since then nothing. My band doesnt work for me. Doesnt make me less hungry only restricts how big of a mouthful I can have. If I go any tighter I cant eat solid food so its a lose lose situation for me. I wish Id of never got my band as its been a nightmare from the start. A total waste of my money. Devastated beyond belief. Only got 9 months left of having free fills and Im not hopeful. If anyone has any similar experiences Id like to hear your story and what you did to help. Dont know what to do anymore Im so gutted it hasnt worked for me :'(
Hi I had a gastric band (privately done) in November 2010. I have lost 4 stone but have had lost of problems with pain and infections although I would not be able to manage without it. I am now awaiting conversion surgery to a bypass. I was recommended to have bypass in the first place but could not afford it. I wish I had paid the extra three years ago I would now be thin. stick with it.

Reading this makes me really sad for you both. I really hope you are able to work through this with the help of your providers. All the best. Xxx

Thanks everybody. Sorry for my late reply. Still having problems with my band being to tight. Going for a defill on thursday. Its been horrible for me and i am starting to think to myself has my band been too tight all along? And because I've not lost weight ive gone back for fills? There hasnt been a single week without getting food stuck in over a year. Going to ask for a ml to be taken out and just see how i go with that. Im glad(well not glad) im not the only one whos had problems. Hope you guys get yours sorted too :(

Thanks everybody. Sorry for my late reply. Still having problems with my band being to tight. Going for a defill on thursday. Its been horrible for me and i am starting to think to myself has my band been too tight all along? And because I've not lost weight ive gone back for fills? There hasnt been a single week without getting food stuck in over a year. Going to ask for a ml to be taken out and just see how i go with that. Im glad(well not glad) im not the only one whos had problems. Hope you guys get yours sorted too :(

A few fills ago I was talking to the main man at my provider, we were discussing fills and not being able to eat foods. I told him I physically couldn't eat before 12pm and as I was feeling huge amounts of hunger that I felt I needed a fill.

He went on to explain that there is a very strong argument that if you can't eat properly that there is too much restriction in the band and that a defill is needed to enable you to eat correct foods.

Bu a defill will not work on its own. That defill will in turn need to work with you making choices with what you eat, but also how you eat. A small side plate portion, each mouthful no bigger than a 50p piece, chew for 30 scs, wait 30 secs and only eat for 20 mins.

Also working to Ivy's on proteins first but your drier and crunchier foods, put tha together along with exercise and the defill and you have a positive plan to move forward.

You may even find taking out quite. Lot, starting over again, but having ver small minimal fills will be the way forward. I understand its hard to try to get working with the band, you're struggling with too much restriction, I am struggling in finding any and approaching a very full band.

But ask your provider for all the help you can, speak to their dietician but also log your food, right down to every mouthful, keeping such a diary can help us make changes to see wha works :)

A few fills ago I was talking to the main man at my provider, we were discussing fills and not being able to eat foods. I told him I physically couldn't eat before 12pm and as I was feeling huge amounts of hunger that I felt I needed a fill.

He went on to explain that there is a very strong argument that if you can't eat properly that there is too much restriction in the band and that a defill is needed to enable you to eat correct foods.

Bu a defill will not work on its own. That defill will in turn need to work with you making choices with what you eat, but also how you eat. A small side plate portion, each mouthful no bigger than a 50p piece, chew for 30 scs, wait 30 secs and only eat for 20 mins.

Also working to Ivy's on proteins first but your drier and crunchier foods, put tha together along with exercise and the defill and you have a positive plan to move forward.

You may even find taking out quite. Lot, starting over again, but having ver small minimal fills will be the way forward. I understand its hard to try to get working with the band, you're struggling with too much restriction, I am struggling in finding any and approaching a very full band.

But ask your provider for all the help you can, speak to their dietician but also log your food, right down to every mouthful, keeping such a diary can help us make changes to see wha works :)
Thanks i will keep trying xx

Back