• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Laser eye surgery

lardass

I just signed myself up for laser eye surgery at the end of nov. really looking forwards to not having to wear glasses or lenses anymore but its all a bit scary.

Anyone else had it done and got any wise words?

Hi Dawn,

I had my eyes lasered ten years ago. It was the best thing i have ever done! My eyes have been perfect ever since! I know the technique has greatly improved since then, it has fewer risks involved, and gets better results.

As for advice, just take some time off for a few days afterwards, dont drive for a while, get in some painkillers (although it hurt, it didn't hurt that much), try to get someone to look after the kids for a couple of days. You will need to rest.

Remember though, you may feel differently to me!

Good luck with it, i shall look forward to hearing how you got on!

Bex xx

Hi - I had mine done 4 years ago and like Be was the best thing ever! My eyes are still perfect!

My advice would be to take someone with you, do not attempt public transport, read but don't be freaked out by the form you have to sign telling you about the risks, get somewhere that you can lay down and sleep afterwards as soon as possible - they feel much less watery and blurred after a sleep.

Oooh and don't bank on much lovin' at bedtime for a week as you look like the fly with the eye guards on at night!

I also had mine done about 4 years ago. Again, delighted with the results.

However, for me, it was extremely painful afterwards - they gave me enough painkillers to knock me out for a day or two, but it wasn't fun.

Definitely get someone to pick you up afterwards. I was determined to get public transport so my father-in-common-law came to get me and then his car broke down on the way home just as excruciating pain kicked in!! :eek:

But.. it was only for a few days and now I have a lifetime of freedom from glasses/contact lenses etc!

Rude question time : where are you having it done and how much is it costing you? :D

DQ

I get the newsletter from moneysavingexpert.com and several months ago they said that the cheapest way to have it done was believe it or not ebay. The big company that do these were selling discount vouchers on ebay. Don't know if that's still the case worth checking. Could be your non edible reward!

Dizzy x

Thanks Wannabe and Dizzy :D

I must say that even I've considered having this done:eek:

At the moment I'm happy with my contacts

The contacts I have now are great. Don't have to take them out (well only once a month when I change them). Okay, I do sometimes take them out mid month and sleep without them, but it feels weird.

They are also different for each eye. One eye has a contact for short sight and one eye for long sight. Monovision or something. Took a couple of days to get used to it, but it's great now.

So, I might just wait a while longer. I know the operation is safe, but I'm scared stiff of damaging my eyes. My brother is virtually blind and with me half deaf, my eyesight is so important to me.

Not saying it's dangerous or anything:eek:

What sort of contacts are they Trio? Would be interested - I had to stop wearing normal contacts cos I suffer from conjunctivitis and cold sores in the eye. :(

I think they are acuvue ones. I get them from ASDA and they're certainly cheap.

I use HSA to pay for them too. I think they work out about £10 per month and I buy a bottle of cleaner with that.

Don't use much of the cleaner though.

You might find contacts don't suit you, but they have come on in leaps and bounds since I started having them about 25 years ago.

I think laser surgery is fab. Not knocking it, but good suitable contacts might be a good alternative until then.

Thanks mate. May have a word with the local Asda. :cool:

I thought about having this done too but I'm too scared and my hubbie has tried to talk me out of it. I'm still unsure whether to have it done, or not!
Avril
X

I was a bit like you but i decided to go for the consultation and see for myself instead of listening to gossip. Surgion answered all my questions and reassured me that nobody has gone blind having it done, the worst that will happen is that it doesn't work.

Go along and have a chat to someone.

Back