• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Shopping with my fat head.

Bonita

I don't know about anyone else but I hate trying clothes on in shops, its something I've never liked doing even when slim.

Over the years I've got pretty good at picking something up and being able to see if its going to fit or not, however that just doesn't seem to be working now. I'm still looking and thinking 'oh that looks fine' then getting home and its dropping off me.

Either that or its fitting one week then two weeks later its miles too big.

Its incredibly annoying as I'm now lighter than I've been for many years, so none of my old clothes fit, and at the rate I'm losing it I really don't want to keep out spending for clothes that I'm only going to be able to wear for a few weeks.

Can I ask how other post bypassers coped with this as it is working out to quite an expense I can't afford, even my shoes are rediculously big and can't be worn...

Oh and will my fat head ever realise that I'm not a size 32 anymore, or does that adjust in time?

It really can be quite expensive keeping up. I'm making do with trawling through ebay to find bargains.

Unfortunately, I'm shopping with my fat head on. My T-Shirts used to have to be 8XL, now I ordered some 5XL's the other day and these are a little too large!! Luckily I've also sold some clothes so it's balancing out at the moment cash wise!

I've got a shirt and tie on today for work. First time in a long time. As I am into some old shirts that were new but didn't fit and I don't feel like I'm getting choked by the tie. Love the comments so far :D

Just try and look for bargains. I know that maybe it's not the best idea fashion wise, but keep your cash and save it for when you've slowed down a bit and buy something far too expensive that you wouldn't have dreamed of spending on before! Treat yourself, you deserve it :D

Hi Bonita!hit those charity shops girl!The bargains are fantastic,I just got some lovely m+s shirts/blouses brand new,2.99 each.New Next jeans with the price still on them 35.00 for 4.99.Cant wait till Im slimmer the rails will be empty!maz x

I think I shall be prowling around the local charity shops for a while! At least it's in a good cause - Second-hand shops too with the odd new thing every now and then from Primark or Matalan. It's a problem I'm looking forward to. Like you, Bonita, stripping off in a shop seems totally alien to me - remember those communal changing rooms? I think that's what put me off for ever. I think shoes are a problem, though. Second-hand shoes are a definite no no. Summer is easy (flip flops) but winter... (she sits and thinks a while)....what about boots? I know they're expensive but if you get ones that fit quite snugly you can pad them out with socks as your feet shrink! xx

I think I heard Bospa support groups sometimes have clothes swap shops? I haven't gotten to any meetings yet. I would agree charity shops and ebay are good places. I'm hanging on to my size 30 tops as I still hate my stomach but I'm in 22 jeans now. I get a couple pairs of bootcut jeans from Evans online at a tenner each and they last me quite a while. Now I'm hoping my weight loss is going to speed up a bit so I will get one pair a couple sizes down to shrink into and just get by on what I've got as best I can.
Just adding a link to a fairly good online site , they have some nice things if you trawl through a bit
Discountworld offers stylish womenswear, menswear and homewares at unbeatable prices | Discountworld

It does take some getting used too. I used to fit into size 24-26 and now a size 16-18 and I try every single thing on I buy coz I am smaller (yipee) on the bottoms as I am quite big busted . But I understand wot u mean, when I was a larger lady ( not been called that for a while) lol, I used to pick stuff up and go , I have that, that and that,not even having to try em on, but now i shop in all different stores and sizes do come up larger/smaller........for the bottoms I sew em in to fit coz it cost me a fortune to keep getting new stuff, and with the tops I use a belt to show ppl i got a waist...

All the best -xxMeJuliexx

bonita every time i go in a supermarket i head for the sale rail i use to pick stuff up if i liked it and it was a size or 2 smaller than what i wa. I would never get anything that cost more than £5 apart from my underwear (good foundations are key when loosing weight. I used to go and be measured every 4 weeks and used to have topay £35 for a bra that fits properly).
Doing it that way i always had stuff in my wardrobe that as i lost weight i could fit into. iI was also fantastic when something that didnt fit 2 weeks ago suddenly was just right.
I was also luckt as my friends had a sort out of their wardrobes and gave me things that they no longer wore. I am now repaying the favor as things get too big for me and giving them things. In fact a couple of my friends have put their names on some john rocher jeans and also my juliam mcdonald dres as they are convinced in a month they wont fit me. lol(unfortunatly im going to have to part with my john rocher jeans to my friend as i have had them on today and they keep falling down and are saggy in the bum).
the one thing i have learnt on this journey is refuse nothing it can save you a fortune.
hth
carole

hi all evans have t shirts in sale all sizes £3 each from size 30/32 to 16.
Dont know if this can help anyone

cheers

Don't even leave your living room! All the plus size catalogues have their sales on now, i saw one with jeans for a fiver the other day. The beauty is the sizes i want are sold out, the smaller sizes are in stock... Get your card out and start shopping ladies xxx

U know exatly how you feel lol. I hate shopping full stop whether it be for clothes/food or even furniture. The clothes problem is'nt so bad at the minute though as my daughter is a size 20 so I keep pinching her clothes, especially her jeansxx

Don't even leave your living room! All the plus size catalogues have their sales on now, i saw one with jeans for a fiver the other day. The beauty is the sizes i want are sold out, the smaller sizes are in stock... Get your card out and start shopping ladies xxx

See now thats what I would normally do but as I'm one of these that looks and decides it will fit rather than try on and still have a fat head, you can guarantee I'll order the wrong sizes completely.

I'm also discovering "now I'm having to try stuff on" that there is a huge difference in sizes which again is annoying. In Asda I'm in size 22/20 clothes but in Primark I can get into 18/16 comfortably, so I don't actually know what size I am.

I've had strict orders from hubby to get out of my old faithfull leggings and trackies (even found him in my wardrobe chucking stuff out the other day..lol) but as much as I'd love to be able to wear other things I am the entirely wrong shape at the moment for dresses and skirts.

My sister laughs when I try to discuss this with her and just says 'welcome to the real world'...

I've not been brave enough to buy anything too small Carol, because of my fat head I guess, but that it seems could be the answer.

Anyway the foot problem is solved for a few months, as its getting colder I bought a few pairs of boots and can always wear thick socks if they get loose.

Bra's, they are the biggest nightmare I think, because I'm having to get measured roughly every three weeks to be comfortable, Carol is right on that one.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice.

xx

I was out shopping today (not clothes) and thought about Carole's remark about buying clothes in a smaller size. Great idea and I can't wait to start. I haven't quite got the courage to do ityet but I will......

I'm trying not to buy too much as am losing inches rapidly, but keep snapping up bargains in the sales.:D
It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and want a new outfit but don't want to spend too much as it wont fit me for long at this rate:D

Over the past few yrs i have bought loads of brand new clothes all still with tags on mostly jeans in sizes 30 to 22 so when i finally get my op and lose some weight then i have some clothes to wear, also my bottom drawer of my chest of draws has all brnad new bras and knickers all diff sizes ready and waiting for me to wear then when lose some weight so for the first few months i will be ok thankfully.

I'm a catalogue shopper - I get too embarassed to try clothes on in shops. Often I will order the same thing in different sizes, then try on at home to see which fits best.
I have made a decision now, though, that I am only going to buy essentials until after my wls and the clothes I buy will be stretchy (!!!) and/or with elasticated waists (!!!!!). That way, I hope they will last a while, because I understand that weight loss will be rapid.
What a lovely thought, though. :)

The clothes I'm currently wearing are all falling apart and I'm determined that I will not buy any more in my pre-op size. Thank goodness surgery is not very far off otherwise I'd end up looking like a scarecrow! xx

Back