• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

LENT ... anyone giving anything up ???

valentine

have been debating to myself all dAy whether to give something up for lent for the first time ever in my life..

I don't come from a religious background but that doesn't mean I can't recognise the significance of LENT does it??

Anyways I was debating 2 things .. Sugar or meat..

Decided against meat as I really do need the protein it provides at the money ..

I have decided to give up sugar .. completely ...
40 days of eating very clean or double checking labels for hidden sugar..

I'm not giving up natural sugars that are found in fruit as it's the nasty sugar (processed) that I'm going to be boycotting.

It's only 40 days right???

Won't kill me ??

Certainly won't hurt my weight loss (or lack of it at moment) that's for sure..

Anybody else giving anything up???

Good for you!

Sounds like a great thing to do, after all 'added' sugar is the demon of all added things :flamingmade:

Good for you!

Sounds like a great thing to do, after all 'added' sugar is the demon of all added things :flamingmade:

That's kind of what I thought .
Certainly won't do any harm will it :). Xx

Don't blame you..
Wishing you all the luck in the world for your surgery day ..
You will be on the losers bench before you know it x x

I'll join you minus today so 39 days @valentine I will give up crisps that I should not be eating and my greatest weakness! I gave up alcohol about 3 years ago for lent and now have it 2/3 times a year except not since surgery. Hope crisps have same effect!
Good luck with sugar it's only 40 days and you could have a nice treat Easter Sunday then:)

I'll join you minus today so 39 days @valentine I will give up crisps that I should not be eating and my greatest weakness! I gave up alcohol about 3 years ago for lent and now have it 2/3 times a year except not since surgery. Hope crisps have same effect!
Good luck with sugar it's only 40 days and you could have a nice treat Easter Sunday then:)

Sounds like a great plan to me.
I didn't find it too difficult yesterday which has shocked me.
I've read a few articles about sugar and aspartame and it's affect on the body fat that we lay down in our bodies and bad carbs.

First time I've actually really taken it on board how awful it is for us..

Madness cos I know I'm going to struggle not having it in my diet and yet actually eating it is like a form of self harm!

So let's see how we get on for the next 39 days that are left xxx

Well done with the alcohol by the way xx

How you getting on @valentine with the no sugar? I must admit I could not give up everything with sugar in as it is going back to basics and I have curry 3 times a week which does have sugar in it.
They say sugar is worse than cocaine! I have not read into it but please share your findings to convince me for next year!

I sadly sinned on weekend as I found 2 bags of onion rings and ate them. But I ain't giving up because of one lapse, back on the wagon and will not eat another bag of crisps. How many days left LOL! Not that I'm counting. It is the not buying clothes for lent is the hardest! Now I can shop in places like Primarc I want to make up for last 15 years! But I know I am saving money about £50 a week not buying at present as bought 1/3 things a week since Xmas hoping I miss a size and save on buying clothes that don't fit LOL!

Maybe next year I will have the strength to give sugar up but hard enough giving up all the things with milk in I loved after the operation as now have allergy. So cheese, pizza, chocolate, biscuits, cakes etc all gone now but soooo glad:)

How you getting on @valentine with the no sugar? I must admit I could not give up everything with sugar in as it is going back to basics and I have curry 3 times a week which does have sugar in it.
They say sugar is worse than cocaine! I have not read into it but please share your findings to convince me for next year!

I sadly sinned on weekend as I found 2 bags of onion rings and ate them. But I ain't giving up because of one lapse, back on the wagon and will not eat another bag of crisps. How many days left LOL! Not that I'm counting. It is the not buying clothes for lent is the hardest! Now I can shop in places like Primarc I want to make up for last 15 years! But I know I am saving money about £50 a week not buying at present as bought 1/3 things a week since Xmas hoping I miss a size and save on buying clothes that don't fit LOL!

Maybe next year I will have the strength to give sugar up but hard enough giving up all the things with milk in I loved after the operation as now have allergy. So cheese, pizza, chocolate, biscuits, cakes etc all gone now but soooo glad:)

I was doing fab until yesterday..
It was my birthday and I was taken out during the day with my parents and then in the evening with my inlaws..
I fell off the Lent wagon by having a few glasses of wine and Chinese ..
I know there must be sugar in the alcohol and defo hidden in the meal we had.
But we only turn 48 once so I'm not beating myself up about it.
I haven't had bread at all since I started and can definitely see that I am far less bloated in the tummy area.
I also had my botox freshened yesterday and that's a 2hr round trip by car..
Normally I would have red bull when I drive as I find the monotony of the motorway tiring but I didn't cave into that either.. :)
I love love love curry and I really am missing it as it's got lots of sugar hidden away in it..
I've had a portion of dry chicken Tikka and onions which is too yummy for words from my local Indian restaurant when my hubby grabbed a take out over the weekend..
It's getting harder to actually remember that I'm doing the whole sugar free thing at times..
Like putting jam on my granddaughters toast and not licking my fingers.
I've found. Honey sweetened granola which is lovely as I do like cereal for breakfast as it's quick and I do taxi runs to a school every day that's 15 miles away so it's always a rush in the morning fitting in breakfast before I leave.

I've stopped buying clothes as the ones I have are a bit tight but I refuse to buy a bigger size .. so I'm making do and being VERY mindful not to gain anymore weight whilst I'm waiting for my revision..

It's a real pain as like yourself I live clothes shopping too ..
So all in all basic eating hasn't been to horrendous and I really have done ok other than yesterday's birthday celebrations and am back in the wagon today :). Xx

Another happy belated birthday here.

I could always cheat and say I have given up alcohol but since my surgery I have had absolutely no desire for it. Long may this continue.

Sugar in curry? Not in this house but the comment sent me off on a bit of research. I was surprised to find that Tescos curry powder has sugar in it, (other supermarkets are available). The vindaloo recipe I use calls for a teaspoon of curry but I just miss that out.

Another happy belated birthday here.

I could always cheat and say I have given up alcohol but since my surgery I have had absolutely no desire for it. Long may this continue.

Sugar in curry? Not in this house but the comment sent me off on a bit of research. I was surprised to find that Tescos curry powder has sugar in it, (other supermarkets are available). The vindaloo recipe I use calls for a teaspoon of curry but I just miss that out.

Crazy isn't it .. also the tomato based currys have sugar in them to cut the acidity of the tomatoes ..

Thanks I had a lovely birthday.

Still struggling on with lent..
Have had a few slips but I'm trying to be the best I can which is far better than prior to lent..

I'm not too fussed about alcohol either to be fair ..
I have to have morphine everyday so drinking alongside it has to be very small amounts..
Maybe a couple of small glasses of weaker wine is my level nowadays xx

Back