• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Linski's weight loss diary - The good ,the bad and the lovely!

Linski

My diary consists of triasl and tribulations of my 55 years on earth. Love, hate, passion, abuse, cruelty, betrayal, loyalty, but sadness in abundance. I am not looking for sympathy I merely want to write it and move on and live my last duration of life in contentment and free form the debiltitation depression brings.

Well my lovely WLS family the time has come for me to start my diary as I begin a new era in my life. As some of you know I am on the waiting list at Walsall Manor for a gartric bypass. After seeing Mr Kendrick in December he asked that I forget the word diet and wipe it from my mind. In preparation for my surgery to simply make good food choices, prepare my mind for the changes to come and lose a little weight along the way. Nothing is to be banned from my healthy eating plan but to stop and think, 'do I need this chocolate(s), is this a sensible choice seeing what I will be having done in around 6 months time?'You get the gist?

So my friends this new way of thinking starts today.

I love this site as I have made so many friends and I have found people I am genuinly interested in and care about. Bless you all for embracing me with open arms, never judging and always caring.

I am going to start my diary which goes back into my past as far as I can remember and hope to make some sense of why I ended up 21 stone.

I am also going to do a food diary in which I wil be absolutly truthful with until I start my pre -op diet, which can't come soon enough!

Right now I am going to do my housework, prepare dinner for my son and daughter - in law to come with my new baby grandaughter. I am going to get things ready for my return to work tomorrow. I am going to then sit down and start my diary. No holds barred I am going to include everything from my child hood, marriage in fact everything which has contibuted to who I am today.

It will not be easy to write as some things I have never told a sole as they hurt too much. But you 'my weightloss family, I trust you'. This is a first for me and once again I thank you all for being here.

See you later

Linski xxxx

Last edited:
Well done for starting your diary hun, it's a big step.
xXx

Yes we will all be with you along the way....Good Luck lovey xxxx

So house work complete, dinner served and cleared away. Work clothes ironed and laid out, had bath done nails and packed lunch for tomorrow.

As ever I just pushed my roast dinner around my plate and ate about a third as I didn't fancy it after I cooked it. No pudding but had 6 Roses chocolates. Not a good day but tomorrow its down to business.

Intend to have the following tomorrow whilst at work.

Breakfast - 2 weetabix - skim milk

Lunch - 2 thin sliced wholemeal turkey sandwiches. Cucumber and 4 cherry tomato's & 2 clementines

Mid afternoon if needed - 1oz cashew nuts.

Will let you know if I stick to my plan.

Now onto my diary.......

My earliest memory was of my first day at school. Brand new uniform, ginger hair that shone like glass or so many mom's used to say. I remember having my name on a card around my neck. Things were 'normal' at home then, I remember looking with delight when my mom was standing at the gates to greet me and my older brother. She would be there smart as could be with Janet in the pram and Brian on his pram seat on top of the pram. Both their hair shone like glass and always drew comments. My elder brother Graham was different he was black haired like my dads side. Brian and I definatley were clones of my moms family, Jan was a bit of both, ginger but small like my dad and his mom and she looks so like my dad.

I can remember sitting in our old house and I was about 4/5 and I would climb on my moms lap and ask for a love. She was a good mom and gave lots of cuddles then.
My elder brother suffered from asthma and was always the centre of attention. My gran and grandad adored him and he was the apple of my moms eye even as far back as I can remember.

I have no memories other than this at infant school really but I distinctly remember standing in the cloak room when I first moved up to juniors and crying for my mommy. For some reason from then on I hated school but have no real memories of bullying or anything so I really don't know why.

One day my mom and dad came and fetched Graham and I out of school and we were taken to the Royal hospital. I was about 6 I think and I remember looking at the fish in the waiting room and my mom and dad going into the cubicle. My uncle Fred who I didn't see much of had gone to heaven I was told. Even at that early age I knew something was not right and I later found out he suffered severe depression and had in fact committed sucide. My dad was very sad and upset which I found really distressing. I remember him comforting his mom (Granny Jarman) i don't know why I didn't see much of her or my grandad from my dads side. We had daily contact with my other Gran and Grandad. As far back as I can remember they hated my dad with a passion. They didn't hold back when running him down and I knew things weren't right and remember feeling very mixed up. He would be fquently absent at christmas meals at my Grans.

Shortly after I started school our next door neighbours and my parents became friendly. They would go to a social club on a saturday and their eldest son would babysit us. Mom was almost tea total and occassionally would have a babycham just the one mind! Dad enjoyed a pint or two and was also a gambler. This caused many, many arguments and fights which we were becoming more frequently witness too I remember. our home was spotless but humble really. When mom had the opportunity of some paid work she jumped at the chance. She was after all a very clever lady, her mathamatic ability was second to none as was her english. Typing was her forte. This little job was to change our life for ever. Our next door neighbour had just aquired a small holding which he set up as a gargae and repaired cars and lorries. Mom would 'do the books'. As she had 4 children all close together she would work after we had gone to bed. Douglas (The neighbour) would turn up late at night with books and receipts. This soon progressed to 4/5 nights a week and he would stay later and later I think. Everything mom earned she spent on us, I believe he paid well and as my dad was so unreliable with money she must have thought this little job was heaven sent in more ways than one. If only this were the case, sent from hell more like.

To be continued

Last edited:
Hi Linski - Well done for starting your diary. Great start and look forward reading more. Its not always easy to get started; and difficult to know how much information to pass on. But pleased that you know you have friends on here you can trust and emphasise with; and we all understand the different reasons why we put on all the weight to start with.

Look forward to following you on your weight loss journey and I can only wish you the best of luck and every happiness for the year ahead!

Take care hun x

Love and Best Wishes Kat x

Great start to your diary.
Well done on looking back and sharing with us x

Hi Lin and thank you for sharing and for being such an important part of my life.

Wishing you all the very best with your diary and walking hand in hand with you on your weightloss journey.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

Hi sweety. Well done on starting your diary. I found it very cathartic to write mine and I hope you do too.
Lots of love
Grace xxx

It was a bitterly freezing January day, I am talking milk bottles frozen solid and snow up way past your knees. I remember walking holding onto the pram for what seems like miles. My mom had been upset that morning and I remember we had gathered up pop bottles to take back to the outdoor. In those days they charged a deposit and if you returned them you had your deposit back. Bless her my dad had gambled his wages away all but a couple of pounds and it was my grandads birthday. Mom dodn't even have the money for a card. This must have hurt her so, she absolutly adored her dad. She was the apple of his eye. She didn't enjoy the same sort of relationship with her mom though. My dad once told me my nan once scratched my moms face with a new crusty loaf so as to mark her. She succeeded and according to my dad she suffered terrible scratches to the one side of her face. I don't think for one minute mom had it easy at home with her mom but I know her dad doted on her and this caused friction. My aunty tells stories of how her dad favoured mom and how this caused rows etc. My aunty would often be found standing on the window sill ready to jump during sleep walking. Mom also had a brother whom we affectionatley knew as Lung'un. Form a very young age I was his favourite and I adored him and his wife. More about him later.

Mom's little job dominated each and every evening and things ticked along nicely for a while. Doug would chauffer my mom to and from my nan and grandads as my grandad had suddenly become ill and bed ridden. My nan treated Doug like a prince and it all seemed normal to me. He would ferry grandad to and from the hospital. I was around 9 years old by this time and one morning as mom was putting my pigtails in she said 'I need to tell you something important' and tears were streaming down her face. 'Your grandad is poorly and he is not going to get better' From what I can recall I was upset about my grandad but I had a real ache in my heart for my mom, I couldn't bear to see her hurting.

Christmas came and went and suddenly mom was missing for nights and Doug would drop her off in the mornings. Mom looked exhausted and on January 20th 1965 my grandad passed away. My nan moved in with us and I remember getting the bus with my dad and us standing at he back of the church. It was years later it dawned on me he was not included in the funeral cortage. I recall around February my dad moving out suddenly after rows. This was not the first time he was 'forced to move out and I always was the one who would scream and cry as he was leaving. Mom had now found her feet a little and we were the first household to have a colour tv in our street. She bought it us as a means of compensation I think for dad having to leave. After a couple of weeks nan returned to her own home and dad moved back in. Unfortunatly him leaving and returning became more frequent.

One sunny August day as I entered the kitchen mom picked me up and danced around screaming in delight. We had been offered a 3 bedroomed house 6 doors up the street. We lived in a small 2 bed and 4 children shared one tiny bedroom. It was not any old council house, it was the Stewarts house which added to moms euphoria! He was a builder and the envy of the street with his posh house.

We moved in and mom decided to go to Dougs garage to work now the youngest was at full time school. We need the money she said and at the time I was around 10 years old. Being the oldest girl I was expected to collect my younger brother and sister from a neighbours on my way home and once Graham (the eldest) came home from senior school I would have to go to the shops and fetch stuff for tea. You just didn't do bulk shops in those days. I would have to peel the potatoes, make the beds, wash up after tea, do my homework and the iron the shirts for the next day. I quite liked doing it I felt grown up and it helped my mom which in turn made me happy. All I ever wanted was to please my mom, I vividly remember this.

Doug would pick her up and drop her off. After a while he would start to come round a couple of nights about 10.30 and we would be ushered to bed. I think my dad was on nights at a famous lock company.

Mom had found a friend in our new neighbours and they remained the closest of friends for 44 years. Every Sunday they would meet at the garden fence and have a fag and a chin wag. I used to love ear wigging!

One morning Barbara (neighbour) bought out the usual ciggarette and for some reason a schooner of sherry for my mom. 'Here, she said lets have a treat. Mom drank the sherry, washed and polished the glass and gave it back. She said she didn't really enjoy it as I have said she was basically tea - total. The next week, same again and the week after. Now you would need to know my mom to know she was not used to having anything of anyone. Typical of her I vivdly remember her saying ' Barb ask Eric ( Barbs Hubby) to fetch me a pint of sherry when he gets yours then I can give you one back next week. She gave her a pop bottle and the money and boy oh boy this changed things forever!!!! I curse the day Barbara ever gave mom that sherry.

By this time I was taking on more and more chores. At 11 years old it was a lot but I managed or thought I did.

I was playing in the street with my best friend (Barbs daughter). Dad was on day shift and I would routinely wait for him to arrive home then go in and get ready for bed.
I looked up the street and heard this shouting and only what can be discribed as hysteria. Dougs wife and son were shouting after my dad for all to hear. He was ignoring them and the scene continued way after he entered the house. I remember feeling really nervous and had no idea what was occurring. Dad them enlightened us, Gladys(Dougs) wife had waited outside my dad work a couple of times and accused mom and Doug of having an affair. Dad was having none of it and had sent her packing initially. Not being deterred Gladys bellowed all the way home behind my dad about the goings on. The whole street was out. This was just the beginning.

Last edited:
Well I was going to go to the libary but as Dotty said this is as good as a book.
Keep up the good work Lin

We could hear mom and dad talking about the fracas in the kitchen and as far as I can remember they were concluding Gladys was jealsous of moms job and the fact Doug picked her up and dropped her off at home and continued to call late a night. Doug could not read or write I found out a few years later, mom was teaching him to do both. He had borrowed some money to rent his 'garage' and basicaly relied upon mom for everything. Within a year he had moved to new premises which were modern and much bigger.

Just before the street row mom,dad,doug and Gladys had stopped going out on a saturday. This was good for a reason I had not told anyone. Dennis (Dougs son) who minded us would take me into the kitchen, lights off and lie on top of me moving up and down. I didn't like it as I felt as though he was squashing the breath out of me. I had no idea what he was doing but knew I didn;t like it. He would say a boggy man would come and get me if I told anyone. I have no doubt had the fall out not happened he would have taken things further. The most I can remember was he used to pull his willy out and rub it up against my legs. For some reason all this dissappeared from my memory for a long while. More about this later.

Mom and dad had always argued, well actually thats wrong mom would always be yelling at dad, he would pack his stuff on her say so.walk the streets for hours and then come klnocking at 1am in the morning. I would always be the one waiting up and looking throught he window, stomach in knots, tears flowing and my heart breaking for him. He would turn up frozen to the bone with sadness written all over his face. He was a rotter we were told day in day out. He rarely bit back and to this day I don't know if he was frightened of her or did it to try and keep the peace for us children. Mom wouldn't just yell she would bellow with so much anger in her voice and venom in face. She would pick up a milk bottle or poker and threaten him with it if he didn't get out. This became a weekly occurrance.

She was by now consuming around half a pint of sherry a night and this was like stoking a fire. We all sat just waiing for her to start on dad. Saturday was my favourite day of the week. Mom was always in a good mood, she would go and have her hair done at an exclusive salon in town and stop off a beaties on the way and buy herself a new classy expensive outfit. It was always an exquisit dress sometimes with a coat to match. For work she used to say but every saturday she would wear the new outfit, go out and not come back untill around 11. This increased to around 1am within a few weeks. I was totally devoted to her and I used to walk with her to meet her lift but she would never let me go futher than the school. She used to say she was playing bingo with the oaps from by where she worked. Dad wasn't bothered as it meant he could have a bit of peace and would be in bed by the time she returned, I always waited up. I remember one time the clock ticked 4.30 am and I was beside myself she hadn't coem home. I woke my dad and we sat together waiting, worrying, wondering. Around 8am she strolled in and said 'oh what you doing up you silly girl, I had a bit to drink and fell asleep.' i just wrapped my arms around her sobbing I thought she was in an accident , even dead. Dad just looked at her and went to bed , he never said a word. I learned from then on not to worry about her so much if she was late on a saturday. I always waited up though even if it was 5am when she returned.

One saturday as I left her at the school Dennis (Dougs son) was waiting for me in the doorway of a shop. He jumped out and said your mothers a whore and you are fat and ugly. He got me round the throat and said tell her to leave my dad alone. I was petrified I was around 11 at the time. I didn't tell my dad when I got back I was too frightened of causing a row. Later on my brother Graham came running in the house and said ' Dennis tried to run me over'. he was visibly shaking. Dennis was around 19 by now and a big fellow. Dad was livid, he went down to his house and knocked the door. As Dennis answered he door dad grabbed him and pushed a screwdriver against his throat. 'You so much as look at my lad again and I'll do time for you'. This was a first I had never ever seen my dad angry. Mom came home a decent time and dad told her what had happened, I dont recall her reaction.

She continued to work and our home was reaping the rewards with new furniture etc. She had little time for the children really from this time on. I craved her love, I always have. Even then she would scold me more than the others. She often cruelly referred to my weight. Her favourite saying was I'll knock that fat of you! She continued to drink her half pint of sherry and become aggressive once she had downed it.

The following monday was to set the trend for many years to come. As I was walking out of the school gates Galdys and Dennis were waiting for me. I had little confidence anyway and was a little on the chunky side to say the least. I would comfort eat through all the rows, the absence of my mother, my increasing chores. My eldest brother was a bully who nicknamed me fat guts. He would get my younger brother to punch my little developing boobs in a proper boxing type match until they were balck and blue. I would retreat to my room sobbing day after day.

'Well if it isn't the fat daughter of the whore' Oi fatty where's you mother still prostituting, yes you Linda Grainger we talking to you'. Crowds gathered and my two friends walked off and left me. Dennis kicked my heels all the way home and she shouted abuse for all to hear. It was the longest journey of my life. The inevitable happened the next day and I was taken the mickey out of.

My siblings had similar encounters but never so intense. I guess being fat made me an easy target. Every time I put my head out of the front door because they lived 6 doors away they would shout ' fat guts, look at you you need to diet, you big fat pig' at every opportunity.

All mom would say is you ignore them and hold your head up high, you have done nothing wrong. She would tackle Doug and he would go and read the riot act and for a week or so it would ease. Trouble was I lived my life in a state of nerves for along time and at 13/14 it was a lot to handle. I frequently played truant purely to escape the threat of outside school abuse.

Doug aslo had a daughter Glenys who was the same age as Janet my young sister. From knee high she was taught to shout obscenities to us at every opportunity.

One summers day my sister Janet who was as volatile as my mom walked in and announced ' The police will be here in a minute I've just broke Glenys's leg'. I nearly S*** myself with nerves! I rushed next door and rang mom at the office. She was calm and said ok I will be home in a minute. When I got back the door knocked and there stood two plain clothes detectives. OMG I was hyperventilating with fright. Cutting it short, they took Jan to court and she was convicted of GBH. She was only 13 at the time. She was put on some form of probation and it was left to me to take her too and fro. Mom had none of it, she wouldn't be seen at a probationers office for goodness sake!

I used to spend most saturday nights after that at next doors as Nicky was my best friend. Her mom and dad knew what went on in a sense as they heard the shouting and screaming. It ws nice to have a dry nights sleep as my younger brother wet the bed each night up until he was around 16. Not suprising really. As mom began to increase he drinking the fights and rows, screaming,shouting intensified. Me my young brother and sister would lie huddled together trying to block the screaming out. I remember being freezing cold when fights were occurring, in particular my hands and feet. To this day I still go ice cold when frightened.

I had made friends with a lady across thre road, Mrs cook.
Mom had no idea as she wouldn't have approved. She would have said she was a nosey parker who wanted to know our business. Mrs C liked me and she was kind to me. When I was 15 she said she knew someone who needed a baby sitter every saturday. I jumped at the chance and during the first night I was I thought looking after 2 little ones. We sat huddled on the settee, me reading to them when I heard a baby cry. Whats that I said? It's Beblie, the baby said the 5 year old. I had not been told there was a baby in the house. I went upstairs to take a look and had the shock of my life. There lay this beautiful 5 month old with a bottle laid by her side full of coca cola. She had a dirty grey nappy on and a pair of her dad pants on top. She had both legs in plaster of paris. Snot all around her face and her beautiful mousey hair was matted. I picked her up and my heart melted. I changed her nappy and her little bottom was like liver it was so sore. This little girl touched me like no-one had ever done before. It was love at first sight. This little bundle changed my journey through this life forever.

I took her the following week to meet my mom and she just loved her. Se was clearly neglected and was born with a disability. She was born with club feet and dislocated hips. Her hands worked backwards and they said she would never walk. I went to visit her straight from school every single night and would bring her home with me while I rushed to do my chores. By now I was like your modern day Cinderella. Absolutly every meal was planned. shopped and cooked for by me. The washing up would follow, iron everyones stuff for the next day, hoover, make beds. It was around this time the verbal cruelty started by my mom. She would alternate from dad to me. He didn't lift a finger to stop it, 'While she onto you she's leaving me alone cock he would say. I was taking my GCSE's but just didn't want to be there. I wanted to look after this poor neglected baby, She loved me so, she would jump with delight a the sight of me. The truancy increased and I spent every minute I could with Bev. Mom kitted her out with new clothes and a double pushchair so I could take her out. Mom and dad had bonded with her just has I had really. Her mom asked if we could have Bev for the weekend while she went to Blackpool. She never came back for her. I left school without any qualifications and took on the role of carer to Bev and housekeeper for our family of 7. My love and devotion for Beverley made this all worthwhile for me in so many ways. Unfortunatly, mom's drinking had increased due to her doing illegal things and for years to come I worried myself sick she would go to prison. She was lucky not to have done, its complicated and I hope you will not judge her too harshly, I loved her unconditionally! Her cruelty towards me increased as did her drinking as her life spirralled out of control.

To be continued.....

Last edited:
OMG, Ive been in tears reading your diary.....you really have had a tough time. You must have a massive heart tto take on the care for that little baby....poor little mite. I cant wait for the next part....thankyou for sharing your story with us :D XXX

Thank you for reading ladies. I have wanted to write this diary for years but never had the courage as I felt ashamed of my past, You will proberbly think I am a very weak person as my story unfolds. Ilike to think I am strong but to be honest to this day I really don't know. One thing I am sure of you my friends have given me permission to write this and as distressing as it is for me, I know its the write thing to do. I am going to tell things on here I havr never fold a sole in my life.

Thanks again for your kind comments

Linski xxxxx

Hello all, will be writing a bit more ove rthe next few days. I guess I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was to tell all as I was unable to sleep for sa couple of nights after writing this. Too many bad memories, too much hurt. I am going to continue though as I just feel its the right thing for me to do so I can move on ready for my new life after bypass.

Write soon

Linski xxxx

Waiting with baited breath,told so well,you could be a writer.
Life really can be sh*t for some kids,my childhood was not perfect but it was wonderful compared to some.I thank my mother each day for doing her best.

Back