• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Linski's weight loss diary - The good ,the bad and the lovely!

I left school at the request of my mom to look after Bev and the home. She would give me £1 a week in return.
She was now drinking a pint of sherry and 2 barley wines an evening and you could double that at weekends.

She continued to work at the garage and had now taken to staying late at the office on a Thursday as well as going out on a Saturday with Doug. The street abuse continued on almost a daily basis and in an effort to be discreet Doug would no loner pull up outside the house to pick her up. She would walk round the corner and her dropped her off there on an evening. He was giving her driving lessons and had apparently promised her a car out of the business. She passed her test and began to drive herself too and fro.

My eldest brother was one who would not keep his mouth shut as we all did and consiquently in a nasty altercation she chucked him out. I was heart broken although he was a terrible bully I worried about him in fact I idolised him. He got a crummy bedsit and I would sneak him food out of the cupboard and give him my £1 a week to help him. She didn't always give me this mind and if I needed sanitary towels it was tough, I had to use toilet paper or tissues. She was unbearably controlling and dominante. She would hit me around the head for next to no reason, threaten to knock my teeth out almost daily. She would put her face into mine and the look of hatred was over whelming and heart breaking. She would make me sit for 2-3 hours every night and she would say the most awful things. 'Look at you you fat pig' 'no-one in this house can stand you' you disgust me, I'll knock some of that fat off you, look at me when I talking to you you cheeky so and so or I will push you face in. She would pull her fist back, grit her teeth and ball in my face. She went on and on and on and on. If I made an escape to my room she would make me come down sit opposite her and start all over again. I can not tell you how worthless I felt, But the worst of it all was she would threaten to send Bev back to her mother daily. I had a mother daughter bond with this little one, I did absolutly everything for her. I carried her plasters and all on my hip until it bled. I kept her immacculate and she was well on her way to walking. Something they said she would never do. I live breathed and ate her as the saying goes. I lived under the constant threat I would lose her. I had no confidence and spent every night crying myself to sleep. If it hadn't have been for Bev I am sure I would have committed sucide. No-one only my younger brother would defend me, after one particular 3 hour abusing he stood up burst out crying and shouted'For God sake leave her alone, leave her, leave her! Look at her how sad she is. He then drove off on his new moped and went to Mosely Old Hall. Mom stood in amazement. totally dumb founded for around 10 seconds. She then threatend to punch my face in for causing him to be upset, on this occassion Dad joined in. Brian and I were really close and he was my life line. He had started work for Doug at the garage and was moms little hero. I didn't mind he deseved to be, he was mine too. He would sneak me money when she decided I wasn't having any. She bought him the moped to start work and so he didn't need to invade her time with Doug.

Doug taught me to drive and I then became her chauffer to when she needed, The abuse always carried on even when driving, she couldn't help herself.I shared her car.

I taught Brian to drive and she bought him a car as a surprise.

My elder brother Graham had found himself a girlfriend. She was married and she left her husband for him after only 6 weeks of marriage. Her marriage was annulled as she could not consumate the marriage as she suffered for a condition in which her vagina tensed so much she could not have intercourse. Mom loved her and treated her like a duchess. They decided to get married and mom planned and paid for it all at an exclusive country club. According to her they didn't want me at the wedding as they were ashamed of me? She paid for their honeymoon on the Isle of White and paid the deposit on a new build property. She kitted Pam out in all new honeymoon clothes and furnished the house for them.

I had a better realationship with Graham now. He was a bully in our childhood and one day I caught hold of him and flung him down the stairs after her was hitting Briam around the head when he had a migraine. I followed him two stairs at a time and punched his lights out.i had totally lost it, it took mom and dad to pull me off him. He never messed with me again! Pam, his wife couldn't believe how mom treated me. She would try and put on an act but once the liquer had kicked in she would start and Pam was frightened to death. She became my friend and would support me behind moms back she would buy me ear rings and little treats. Mom hated tha. Graham admitted to her this was how it had always been and he started to have compassion towards me. We got on well and as I loved him I was glad.

Our next door neighbours daughter got married 4 weeks after Graham and Pam and I remember mom taking her to the same shop called The Cat's Whiskers as she took Pam too. I would drive and wait in the car and Nicky came out with a dress for each evening of her 10 day honeymoon. The car was loaded and I was so envious but hurt. I had no decent underwear ect and here she was spending all this money on others, WHY? She would not let me clain any benefit and deprived me of everyday needs.

I had started to go out on a Friday and Monday and she would always start before I was due to leave. I need you to go to the outdoor first or you wont have the car, She would make me wait an hour sometimes knowing I was due to pick my friends up. She would by me a dress on accassions to go out but I always payed the price.
not being big headed I was pretty in my day and looked after myself on the cheap. I was about 11.5 stone but always drew guys attention. Doug would say I was beautiful and she hated it. She never ever told me I looked nice and she would be waiting for me to come home and she would as usual spit venom at me and would frequently say if I see you so much as glance in the direction of a mirror again I will smash your face in it. I would end 5/7 nights by making my escape when she stumbled to the loo and would fight for breath as I stifled my cry until in the solace of the bathroom or my room.

Brian had also met a married woman and fell in love, she had a son and once again mom paid the deposit for his new build and furnished it from top to bottom. Nothing but the best for Jane and son. Jane played her like a fiddle and took her for thousands one way and another. She would tell me I wasn;t fit to kiss ernie's (her nickname for Jane)

One evenng as I was going out she totally thew me. She said 'you look nice where you going?'. I had to look behind me to see who had walked in! I was astounded but so happy. Pathetic really. The next morning instead of the usual insult and spit, she said asked in areally quiet voice 'did you have a nice time?' I was walking on air, she loves me I think, I love that feeling.

My world came crashing down around 4pm that afternoon.

Linda, I want you to go to Garhams and tell him and Pam I need to see them I have something I need to tell you all. I dont want Brian and Janet here just you them and your father. OMG I do not know how my legs carried me to the car and I dont remember drivining. I was convinced she had lung cancer as she had been ill, and had to have an xray a few weeks earlier. My dad was Sh***** bricks I can tell you. It was the longest hour of my life.

Graham was ashen when I told him she needed him now.

She gathered us together shaking like a leaf and dropped the bombshell...........

To be continued.

Last edited:
OMG! You better not make us wait too long! I cant wait to see what the bombshell was.....you write very well and I enjoy reading your story. It amazes me what some of us come through and still turn into "normal" people :D XX

Awww... Bless... I'm always thinking of you Lin and you are always close in heart and mind... take care my Angel xxx

Carry on........ I'm eagerly awaiting the next bit x

Linski you cant do this to us we are all waiting to hear what your mum said!and baby Bev...my son had hip casts on,what a pain to carry them around,and keeping them clean if there was an accident!

I feel truly honoured to be allowed to share this with you and I think you are a very special person to have come through this. I am sending you loads of love and i hope you are OK now you are opening up the past
Jo XX

Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words. You all have a special place in my life and heart. I never, ever thought I would be able to trust anyone enough to write this. Enabling me to do so is to allow me to move on and enjoy my life from now on, something I thought woudl be impossible.

Love to all

Linski xxxx

Reactions: Bev
Linski said:
Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words. You all have a special place in my life and heart. I never, ever thought I would be able to trust anyone enough to write this. Enabling me to do so is to allow me to move on and enjoy my life from now on, something I thought woudl be impossible.

Love to all

Linski xxxx

Hi linski have you been seeing dietian at manor I had second come for may but thought I might see dietian as well before then I just wondered ? Thanks

Mecca123 said:
Hi linski have you been seeing dietian at manor I had second come for may but thought I might see dietian as well before then I just wondered ? Thanks and well done

Hi Mecca, I have not seen the dietician yet, I was told it would be Mr Khan and Mr yousef around May time. I am sure I will see the dieticain at some point. How far along your journey are you - are you on the surgery list?

Linski x

Linski said:
Hi Mecca, I have not seen the dietician yet, I was told it would be Mr Khan and Mr yousef around May time. I am sure I will see the dieticain at some point. How far along your journey are you - are you on the surgery list?

Linski x

Hi I saw dietician on my first appointment and I have got go back in may .to see?for my 2nd appointment I know a take long time just get on list how long did it take you I just thought I have to see dietician again before .I have keeping a food diary since my first appointment has helped but hard to keep to and I have lost 1 stone thanks anyway

You are Special xxx

Just wanting to say Lin, you have a 'Very Special Place in my Heart too'... feel as though I really know you and through your diary... we'll get there and we are going to do it together...

Keep plodding and putting your best foot forward Angel and above all, keep spreading your beautiful sparkle vibes here on the forum!

Love you and take good care xxx

It's been a while since I updated this diary. I am finding it a little draining to be honest and need a little break before I continue. It's something I really want to complete despite this so here goes.

I don't know how I drove to Grahams for nerves really I just couldn't imagine what she was about to tell us other than she had lung cancer as she had a couple of xrays due to chest infections etc. She was a heavy smoker and had the most horrendous cough. Getting her to actually go to hospital for the xray was a trauma in itself. She would convince herself and us she was seriously ill and her absolute fear of hospitals didn't help.

I remeber Sitting with my arms around Bev on the sofa as we all gathered for the 'announcement'. She told Janet to take Bev a walk and Brian was not included for reasons which would become clear. She was by now upgraded to Brandy as her tipple and she shakily poured herself another for dutch courage. We waited with baited breath me, dad, Gray and Pam. As ever dramatic she was making us wait and Graham as ever tactful said "Come on mom spit it out for Gods sake, whats going on"? As clear a sa bell I remembe her reply, "Hang on a bit this is not easy for me Gray" She was clearly nervous by this time her hands were shaking and her voice trembled. " Well you cnat all be daft and you must have been wondering where I get money for your cars, weddings and deposits for your houses from? Well I have done something I shouldn't and think I am going to end up in jail" Well call me naive but I really hadn't thought about it and I was astounded and really not prepared for this. Proberbly because I had not had a wedding or a car or a deposit for a house and had her banging on how she begrudged me my "pocket money " for looking after the house and my beautiful Bev. I have had a letter from the VAT people ( it was a year or so after VAT was introduced) and I think she hadn't accounted for this when fiddling the books. She had been helping herself to money from the business. and false accounting. The Custom and Ecsise were coming to carryout a routine check. Well she had totlally lost her nerve and was absolutly 100% convinced they had found her out and were coming to get her. I would never have touched a penny she said if he (Doug) hadn't done the dirty across me. He was a classic fiddler and he relied on her to cover his money fiddles up and he would slip her the odd £100 here and there which 38 years ago was a hell of a lot of money. Mom had told Graham a coupel of years previous that Dennis had asked her to leave dad and we would all move into bungalow with him and what did he think? No way was his answer and so she stayed with dad for us or so it seemed. Doug was a weak shister and had purchased 2 plots of land and built 2 bungalows on. As grattitude to mom one was hers to sell and one was his. Remember he couldn't read and write when she met him and his ever growing success was I have no doubt thanks to moms brains but his money. He had apparently done the dirty by selling the bungalows not telling mom and pocketed the money. Mom was completley in love with him and had thought she had found the most wonderful man in the world only to be betrayed. He became quiet selfish in the fact when he would fiddle money and rely on mom to cover it up, he started to keep it all. Their house which was 6 doors away was given a complete overall and stood out in our street. His wife had needed hospital treatment and he paid for her with his fiddle to go private.He bought his kids new top of the range cars. He also moved them into 4/5 bedroomed new properties. It was clear as day blood is thicker than water. These are not excuses or in any way justifies what my mom did. I just want you not to think badly of her I guess. There is nothing like a woman scorned.

Aftera few more brandy's she was not only going to jail, she may be hung and it was all our fault. In particular me as I did not work!!! OMG I can't begin to explain to you the next few weeks and the trauma we went through. She bought the adding machine home and the books and woudl sit up drinking until 5am and make me and dad sit up with her while she tried to cover her tracks. To be honest she would be too busy drinking and actually achieve Jack! She had me go to he doctors and get valium to help her. God knows how I manged it but I did. The day approached and her legs could barely carry her as she went to the car for me to drop her at work. My dad and I returned at 12pm to watch to see if the police pulled up to arrest her. We stayed until we saw the Vat man pull off. I was crippled with irratable bowel sydrome and dad was doubled up with his ulcer as we sat there for hours. Graham must have been on tender hooks all day and Janet knew nothing other than she was needed to watch Bev. Brian was kept in the dark as he worked at the garage and it would have been really embarrassing for him if it all hit the fan. As Graham worked for a national news paper it would be unbearable for him when it hit the papers! You have proberbly guessed these were moms words and not mine! As for dad he was a useless scrounger and I wasn't much better and we would end up on the street and she couldn't care about us. I mean now I would have just said for her to get a grip but at 17years old you still tend to take what your parents say as gospel. I was so,so scared she would end up in jail and perhaps if I had got ajob she wouldn't have been in thsi mess? Yes this must be all my fault.

Well 6.40pm arrived and she strolled through the door as calm as you like. Dad and I sat on the sofa, stomach in knots waiting for her to spill the beans about what had accurred. DID SHE HELL!!!!!

Go and get me a bottle of brandy and we will have fish and chips for tea she said. WHAT!!

How did you get on mom I asked. "Piece of cake he hardly looked at the books, he gets money for old rope. I knew I'd be ok. I told you not to worry". Well sufice to say dad and I walked on air to the out door but my goodness we were really astounded at her response and dad was really disgusted as to what she had put us through. She celebrated with a bottle of brandy and 2 barley wines and the usual abuse resumed. I sat there like an animal corned by lions,made my usual retreat when given the chance and cried myself to sleep. Just business as usual then.

Unfortunatley this was not the last time we had to be witness to her mistermeaners. It became a yearly occurrance that suddenly the addding machine would appear and off we would go again. If it wasn't the VAT man it was the auditor. She would stop helping herself while the heat was on and she would be short of money as she was now a heavy drinker as well as an 80 a day smoker. Soon as she was clear for now at least the presure would ease and she would be flush again, flashing her cash to impress everyone other than me and my dad. Graham moved house to a 4 bed detached, Jan got married and had her new house furnished in part. As for Brian and his wife well she plaed mom like a fiddle and took her for thousands in more ways than one. Brian as I have sadi worked at the garage and never paid a penny income tax as she woulkd sly it him back in his wage packet and if his wage slip said £175 you would guarentee there would be £250 in there. She convinced herself he worked harder than anyone an deserved it. Like I said 38 years ago you are talking a lot of money.

Well the abuse continued and increased as the weeks went by. I remember I had took the initiative to get a job in a pub now Bev was older and at school. I had little or no confidence and was delighted when I got a job as a barmaid Mon, Sat and Sunday nights. I loved it, I had chance to dress up because I bougth clothes with my wages and I drew lots of attention from the male drinkers. The money was a pittance really but I enjoyed it.

In February 1973 I remember it was bitterly cold and I felt really unwell. I had a really bad throat and high temperature and despite antibiotics failed to improve, in fact I became really unwell, sickness, stomach pain and my throat was getting worse. My brother had called the doctor to vistit as he was really wooried about me and I was really crying I felt so ill. Mom was on her usual Thursday date with Doug. The doctor came and took one look at me and said I need a water sample now. Well my water was as dark as a pint of mild. He sent my brother straight to the chemist to get antibiotics and said it was very important I had them that nigth and her would return the following morning. Mom was annoyed she couldn't go to work as the doctor was coming and it would look bad on her. Well she started her usual screaming, balling at me as we waited for the doctor to arrive. She complained the windows were filthy and had me clean them. Kindly she let me do just the inside as it was ice cold. She said there was nothing wrong with me, I was a disgrace, fat, idle the usual you know she was going to push my face in if only the doctor was not coming. I remember wishing I was dead as I felt so alone and ill.

The doctor arrived said to my mom she a lot more yellow than when i called last night. Her stomach is distended and she is severley dehydrated due to the days of sickness etc. He caled an ambulance and I was rushed to hospital. Hard to believe less than an hour earlier I was made to clean windows and had her bellowing in my face. It still hurts today and when I think of it and so much more I still actually get apain in my heart. Why would she do this to me?

I had an accute infection of the liver and had to have complete bed rest for a month and was not allowed to work for at least 3 months. I left my little pub job and applied for another once I had been give the all clear from the hospital. I continued to care for Bev and we had a bond that was special and unbreakable. I loved then and I love her now, she's my sole mate. I had been blessed by God withn this wonderful courageous girl who loved me unconditionally and it was recipricated four fold. This was anotherr eason for mom to hate me and she would often threaten to send her back to her parents even though she adored her. It wasn't about Bev it was about me. She would never have sent her back I know that but she was her weapon and she used it frequently.

Well I got the job and this would lead to me meeting my prince who would save me and take me away to wedded bliss. This led to my life again taking a turn but was it for the better or would it be out of the frying pan and into the fire???????

To be continued...........

Last edited:
Thank you Lin. You are doing really well. My heart goes out to you virtual hugs and kisses coming your way ((((xxxx))))

Back