• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liquidised Curry????

Hi Caroline, I am in 3rd week and have been away, yesterday I had a children's menu spag bol with minced beef and was fine, and today I made some meatballs from the Hairy Dieters book and mashed them with the tomato sauce and id has all gone down fine, so although I don't claim to be an expert, I think you should probably be ok as long as you chew it well and eat slowly xx

Hello There

Was u given a post op diet sheet ?

dont mean to nag u BUT 4 weeks post op and eatting liquidised takeaway curry?? i dont mean to sound like a bully but u have no idea what is in the liquid curry,all fats,oils etc..i had curry 6 weeks post op but i cooked it myself,i wouldnt trust these takeaway people with what they put in food,thats what got me fat in the first place x

I'm going to be the food police and say take out this early on??? Curries are cooked with ghee which is fat = stacks of unnecessary calories, surgery is a tool if its gonna work u gotta use the right fuel .. .

Last edited:
Well thanks for advice guys!!!! I really didn't think that 3 tablespoons of purred curry would break the bank...... Considering what I would of had normally - which would of consisted of popadoms, starter (probably an onion bhaji) a whole curry with pillau rice plus copious amounts of alcohol and maybe even a pudding ..... But I now stand corrected!

As I said I'm sorry if I sound mean but takeaway curry at 4 weeks is not good,liquidised or not..we've all made bad food choices I'm sure and we learn from our mistakes..that's a bit like me saying I had mcdonalds (I haven't by the way) but its ok coz I only had a childs meal or I took it home and liquidised it,sorry but that's my opinion,our surgerys were a gift and we should use it wisely

Also bear in mind if you don't fight the craving now as you get where your portion sizes increase you will risk eating more of the fatty stuff.

I never ever cooked before, and still don't really now but at least by getting a shop bought curry you can choose the best of the bunch and know what's in it to count it. Don't know if you have a morrisons near you but my takeaway replacement was Szechuan chicken...loaded with protein, fab taste and 150 cals for half a tub. (sorry im not an expert in indian meals...only chinese lol) Just try to find healthier substitutes xx

I suppose in a way it is easier for us who have been bypassed rather than banded as fatty curry even liquidised would probably cause dumping so we would not be tempted to try it. Must be hard if you are banded and know that you can still liquidise your favourite foods, and not get sick on them. xxx

So, I am into my 4th week of G Band and I have just ordered a curry from local Indian restaurant. I asked for a Ghurka lamb........this is chunks of lamb with minced lamb added to it. I asked if they could do it without the chunks of lamb but, maybe just add some more minced lamb and was told that a lamb Bhoona (sp) was what I should have?????? Anyway, took their advice and I am now sitting waiting patiently for my curry to be delivered. A naan and some rice would make it even tastier but I have managed to refrain from these evil foods!!!!:) Anyway my question is do you think I should liquidise this minced lamb curry......personally I wouldn't of thought so but, am interested in your opinions
Thanks

Hi, 4 weeks out you are allowed normal food. Mince does not have to be liquidised and I eat rice and pitta bread and I have no problems getting them down. I just make sure I chew well and have small portions. You should not think of certain foods as evil and I personally think the key is a little of what you fancy does you good. You could do your own rice at home to accompany your dish. An easy one I use is Uncle Bens Wholegrain express rice and I weigh out 80g. I even have small pots of Haagen Dasz ice cream twice a week. I use myfitnesspal to count cals, carbs, fat and protien and it seems to be working for me so far. I eat chicken too and in fact my dietician told me to start eating pitta breads and wraps, more textured foods helps your nerve endings around your band. If everything just slides through then you are not going to get much of a full, I am done feeling.
I say enjoy your curry as it is, make your own small portion of rice and cut a quarter of the nan. But you know you have to do what you feel works for you but 4 weeks out you definitely do not need to be liquidising mince :)
Hope you enjoy your curry ;)

PS I think if it is a once a month treat thing, then there is no harm done. Its not like you are having take aways every night is it?

I am with bella on this ... The worst thing to do is think of food as bad ... Just some things are better than others. So concentrate on having the more healthy options most of the time. And remember you do need a balance of protein, carbs and fat. Depriving yourself will perhaps make a craving worse and lead to the binging, feeling guilty, overheating cycle ... Whereas planning these things into your overall consumption takes away all those pressures. Start now as you intend to carry on, and if you are going to have a treat, you want to make sure you enjoy it, albeit it will be a far smaller portion than previously :devilangel:

Hi, 4 weeks out you are allowed normal food. Mince does not have to be liquidised and I eat rice and pitta bread and I have no problems getting them down. I just make sure I chew well and have small portions. You should not think of certain foods as evil and I personally think the key is a little of what you fancy does you good. You could do your own rice at home to accompany your dish. An easy one I use is Uncle Bens Wholegrain express rice and I weigh out 80g. I even have small pots of Haagen Dasz ice cream twice a week. I use myfitnesspal to count cals, carbs, fat and protien and it seems to be working for me so far. I eat chicken too and in fact my dietician told me to start eating pitta breads and wraps, more textured foods helps your nerve endings around your band. If everything just slides through then you are not going to get much of a full, I am done feeling.
I say enjoy your curry as it is, make your own small portion of rice and cut a quarter of the nan. But you know you have to do what you feel works for you but 4 weeks out you definitely do not need to be liquidising mince :)
Hope you enjoy your curry ;)

PS I think if it is a once a month treat thing, then there is no harm done. Its not like you are having take aways every night is it?

Are you sure about this, how do you know what Carolines post op eating plan is?

Mine was not to eat meat unless minced until 3 months post op, also not to eat rice, pasta or bread. That worked for me (I dont eat meat anyway).

Im glad you have overcome your putting on weight frustration (a thread you started) but please be mindful that we are all given advice by our own dietician and thats the advice we should follow.

Well said bella the key too long term success has to be everything in moderation at the end of the day if u don't eat food because you think there evil it leads too guilt and food being related and as most if us know this leads too binging regret etc , at the end of the day it's just food , try not to make it a forbidden fruit :) xx

I agree with Mazza regarding the plans and im quite sure (regardless of the operation )had ANY plan says crack on!!!!.....take out curry is fine at the very very start of a long journey of weight loss and lifestyle changes.......

Yep each hospital is different,I certainly wasn't eating at 4 weeks,I did 4 weeks liquids then 2 weeks puree..and I don't agree with the comment "its only food" that kind of thinking got us in this situation in the first place,start as u mean to go on

You are gonig through the mill and I hope you have some support with that, but I stand by what I've said, you need to make time for you to look after yourself especially if you are under stress and if you start to make the healthy changes straight away it will make a hard job easier . . Just take a sec when making food choices and think what would my surgeon say? But remember there are 21 meals in a week even if two choices for them aren't great if it were a test you would score over 90% x

Thanks for the recent messages guys........... can I just say to you all that I really, really appreciate all of your messages (the fact that you have taken your time out to reply) but, I have to admit to feeling really upset about some of the replies (private messages) I have had to some of my posts over the last few weeks.
Obviously, I am not happy with my weight, or with the way I look and that is why I opted to pay myself to have a gastric band and why I am using this website.
My mother has terminal cancer and I am struggling to cope with the knowledge that she will not be around for much longer, as well as coping with the fact my step mother died 8 weeks ago and I am going through the process of clearing hers and my dads house ready to place on the market. So all in all I am trying to cope with some life changing situations.
I hate the fact that I am making mistakes with my diet and I am trying so hard to make the right decisions with my eating. I know that the majority of you are just trying to help with the replies to some of mine and others peoples posts but, please remember that some of us are feeling really vunerable (which I know that we must have all felt at some point on our weight loss journey)and that I know we all also need a little tough love at times however, when asking for advice and we just get criticsm back I really don't find this as positive feedback and I have several times felt very upset and disheartened by some of the replies!
Basically, all I am asking for is that some of you think twice before posting critical posts as they can really affect some of us who just need a little TLC at times.........be honest but be sensitive to our feelings

Thanks

Caroline

Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time Caroline. I lost my mum early on in my journey to obesity related illnesses :cry:

Also that if you feel some of the responses were harsh. However the people who did respond were just replying to your question and offering advice. No one could of known that you were feeling vulnerable, it seemed that you just wanted to know if you should liquidise curry.

Take care and try and stay strong xx

Can you block them?? Delete or raise with mods if u feel u need to most folks mean well but we have varying degrees of bluntness x

Back