• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liverpool newbie

nomadB

Hi everyone,

I've just booked a gastric band op at Dolan Park on the 16th Jan. I'm more excited than nervous at hopefully being to shift this excess weight I've been carrying since my teens. Is there anyone here that is having the op around the same time? Some moral support would be good as i've only told my sister ("can't believe you're paying all that money when you just need to get your arse into gear!") and my best friend ("I know you won't have gone into this without loads of thought so good on you"). I'd also very much appreciate any input from those of you who have already had it done. All the messages and threads I've read so far are informative and massively supportive and i'm so grateful to have stumbled on this site.

Anyhoo, thanks in advance for any replies/help. xxx

Hello normadb
welcome to a fantastic forum
im a bypasser and im loving it , I wish you very good luck on your path to a better, healthier you

I am booked into Dolan on the 7th January, I am nervous too! Day 4 of my pre op diet! Just about to leave for work! And wondering how the slim fast will get me through a shift! Xx

I was banded on 20th August in the Nuffield in Glasgow. Best decision I ever made. It's harder than I ever imagined it would be. You still have to do the work bits not a manic cure. But the band us a great tool to help you control your hunger and your eating. Xx not be long till you come over to the losers bench

I was banded in Dolan park in November. So far I'm glad I had it done. It is frustrating sometimes. Like when my eyes r bigger than my belly but so worth it. Good luck with ur journey. Who is doing urs? I had Mr hewins x

So glad I found this board don't feel so alone! I haven't told anyone apart from my hubby! My surgeon is Mr super, i am tired today and at work everyone was eating bacon rolls!,God the smell!!! Anyway am in the zone! Xx

Ow saz. I know how hard the pre op diet it. It's rubbish ant it. But when u get to it op day knowing I've done it (even of u have the odd slip up) u feel fab and so proud of yourself. Keep up the good work x

Oh thank u for saying that about mr super! I did google him,,,,just booked a hotel for before my mum and dad are going to take me! They also gave me money towards the op! I cried! It's obviously lack of chocolate! Xx

Thanks for all these replies, guys! I'm having Mr Smellie (hope that's a misnomer! ?). Was meant to have Super but he was fully booked. I want to check how many surgeries Smellie has done, seems he does a fair bit in the states though.
Starting my pre-op diet next week so am proper cramming it in at the moment! I know I shouldn't but it's christmas! Plus got 4 3000word essays due in for uni on the 12th so am a wee but stressed! At least they will keep my mind off the hunger next week.

That's so lovely your parents are doing that. I'm scared to tell mine, i'll tell them when it's done! Haha I have no idea what their reaction will be but my dad had a couple of bad episodes of pancreatitis that nearly killed him a few years back. I take after him so really don't want to go down that route.

Please keep in touch as you're getting yours done around the same time as me. We can give each other moral support!

Not sure if one of my messages went through! Sdoopid app! My op is with Mr Smellie, wanted Mr Super but he was fully booked, i missed out on the last appt by an hour! Oh well. Smellie (hope he isn't! ?) seems experienced, he's worked loads in the states from what i can gather.

Chuffed to bits I have found band buddies! I think it makes a huge difference having people that are going through the same! Am sure ur surgeon will b fantastic, and I found it hard telling my parents, but I had back surgery 2 years ago and I am in agony and I hope once I lose weight that should improve! Xx

Yes! Having people around for moral support who are going through the same thing is so important! I know it's going to be hard work but the only thing that's worked for me in the past is lighter life and i put all the weight back on once i came off it!

Losig weight should defo help you with the back pain. My knees are going as well, and the arch of my foot is starting to collapse so hopefully this op will stop it before it gets worse. We can do this! This time next year, we'll feel like new people. Yay!

This stupid app keeps deleting my replies!

Yes, we defo need to have each others' back for moral support. It will be great to have someone who's going through the same thing. I'm sure the back pain will improve as you lose weight. It's going to be hard but it will totally be worth it. This time next year, we'll feel like completely different people! x

Am off to work slim fast in my bag, motivated today! I wish my children would eat all the sweets that are lying round the house! Xx

I'm staring down a huge box of Haribo as I type. Strangely enough, I got loads of chocs (which i'm not even a fan of!) and sweets for christmas. In two minds whether to power my way through them or not! :D

Power through!!!! I had the best t, cous cous chicken and red pepper! Also 4 pints of water drank! Got my hair coloured and cut and looked my case out for next week!! Eek!! Xx

Back