• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Living the by-pass life!

Grace

Last week and the week before, I had a mini-rebellion over food and feeling 'deprived'. It was mainly in my head....as so many things to do with food addiction are!

I took a little time to ponder on what was happening.....as I do, I'm that type of a person. (my husband says my head never switches off, and he's right....it's flipping tiring!)
.....Anyway, I digress! The conclusion that I've come to is that there are 2 ways to go with this (for me in any case)
1) I continue to rebel, struggle and make hard and heavy weather of this whole WLS thing and its massively life-changing repercussions.

I can't say that sounds a very enticing option....

or

2) I embrace this WLS thing and all it brings with it, whole-heartedly, unreservedly, and become an 'expert' WLS individual. (I won't say patient, because I'm no longer one of those!)

This is the option I am going to choose. My life has changed for ever because of this surgery. GOOD! It needed to! Now I am going to take it on whole-heartedly, stop yearning for things (food and life-style choices) which made me unhealthy, unfit and unhappy! I am going to change who I am, how I think (especially about food) and how I live!

It is not too late for this old dog to learn some new tricks!

I'm taking my head into a new place of undiscovered territory, of hitherto uncharted waters....and I'm suddenly emboldened, encouraged and excited!
Yahoooo!

I'm so glad the New Year is coming! Cometh the New Year, cometh the NEW WOMAN!

I shall maintain this thread as I make new discoveries....just call me Magellan!

i agree...but it is hard some times...especially when you were addicted to certain foods like me...i never smoked or drank allot..but i loved chocolate....but now i am afraid to even try it incase i get the taste back for it...and i dont want to go down that path again.....i loved reading your thread on this....
bif....

i agree...but it is hard some times...especially when you were addicted to certain foods like me...i never smoked or drank allot..but i loved chocolate....but now i am afraid to even try it incase i get the taste back for it...and i dont want to go down that path again.....i loved reading your thread on this....
bif....

Thanks so much for the encouragement Bif!f My little melt-down last week included chocolate, crisps, cider and toffee pop-corn, all of which I loved pre-op!

But I have to make a decision to live and do things differently - otherwise I'll slip backwards. And having been through what I have (my WLS journey hasn't been plain sailing at all) I'm just not prepared to go backwards.

So...standing still means becoming stagnant and stale....so I have to find new ways of happiness and fulfilment which will re-place the old and faulty ways which were so damaging and life-limiting to me in the past!

My hope in beginning this thread, is that we can hep and encourage each other with the battle. So much of it is in our heads.

Love n hugs to you
Grace xxx

Dear Magellan (Grace)

So glad that you have decided to embrace your wls. I know it is one of the things I have had to get my head around, otherwise I knew my op was futile and a complete waste of money that I could ill afford.

It is not easy and I know on this journey of ours although we feel we can be strong most of the time, there will be times when our heads and our bellys are not working together. It is at these times when we really need each other to encourage and support each other and help us realise that tomorrow is a new day!

Hope this makes sense to you!

Good Luck with exploring the new you!

Love and Best Wishes Kat x

Grace, I'll be praying that you are sent the help, encouragement and inspiration that you will need when things get difficult. I too had a challenging week last week as you know.

You have been a true inspiration to me. You've kept going even though things have been hard. Well done and give yourself a pat on the back for being so strong.

Lots of love and hugs

Rebirthxxx

Dear Magellan (Grace)

So glad that you have decided to embrace your wls. I know it is one of the things I have had to get my head around, otherwise I knew my op was futile and a complete waste of money that I could ill afford.

It is not easy and I know on this journey of ours although we feel we can be strong most of the time, there will be times when our heads and our bellys are not working together. It is at these times when we really need each other to encourage and support each other and help us realise that tomorrow is a new day!

Hope this makes sense to you!

Good Luck with exploring the new you!

Thanks so much Kat. I am embracing this as something exciting and new: perhaps like a holiday to a foreign and never seen country! This for me is a way of taking hold of the journey in positivity and hope.
I want to be there for anyone who needs me in the weeks and months ahead. We can do this...together!
Grace xxx

Love and Best Wishes Kat x

Grace, I'll be praying that you are sent the help, encouragement and inspiration that you will need when things get difficult. I too had a challenging week last week as you know.

You have been a true inspiration to me. You've kept going even though things have been hard. Well done and give yourself a pat on the back for being so strong.

Lots of love and hugs

Rebirthxxx

Rebirth:
Where does my help come from? I look to the hills! Help comes from the Lord! I am sure it is indeed He who has brought me to this new understanding and focus!
Insomnia is not all bad! LOL!
Thank you so much for your prayers; I shall do the same for you. We are indeed blessed t have our faith in someone higher and stronger to turn to when things get tough, are we not?
Thank you so much for your great encouragement.
As I said before: standing still or going backwards is not an option for me! I will go forward and re-take that which has been stolen from me! Tally-ho!
I want LIFE in abundance; I CHOOSE life!

Grace xxx

What a great post Grace! Thank you!
This is the kind of attitude I am hoping to be able to have and maintain from now and right through this journey of mine. It's the only way! I just have to remind myself why I want this surgery, why I need this surgery, and all the struggles I have been through in the last 20 years or so... and all will be well.

Thanks again.
xx

Great post Grace :D I feel exactly the same, I need to get out of "wanting" things I shouldnt have. Ive not tested myself atall yet, and I dont want to! I am trying my very best to change my mind to a new way of living post op :D Good luck to you Grace ..... If anyone can do it you can ;) XX

Ever inspiring and always optimistic... what an amazing attitude... I will be hoping to adopt your positiveness Angel... it's normal to want things you have always had...

Keep going precious... it's all working out... step by step... love and hugs xxx

Absolutely fantastic post Grace! I'm guessing this is the reason why i am currently on the 5 day pouch test. Not just to kick my restriction into touch but also because the word 'treat' has started to turn into 3 x a day. As much as we have to learn to have the occasional treat to be 'normal' we also need to learn that it's not a bad thing to deny ourselves either....

I'll be watching your progress (as always) and i'm hoping himself upstairs will answer your prayers and that he listens to mine on Sunday :)

Good luck darling xxx

Absolutely fantastic post Grace! I'm guessing this is the reason why i am currently on the 5 day pouch test. Not just to kick my restriction into touch but also because the word 'treat' has started to turn into 3 x a day. As much as we have to learn to have the occasional treat to be 'normal' we also need to learn that it's not a bad thing to deny ourselves either....

I'll be watching your progress (as always) and i'm hoping himself upstairs will answer your prayers and that he listens to mine on Sunday :)

Good luck darling xxx

Thanks so much Julie.
One of the greatest blessings of my WLS has been meeting the very genuine and lovely people on this site, such as yourself.
I love how we encourage one anther. I'll be adding you to my prayers love. How's your pouch test going honey?
Grace xxx

GRACE...YOU SEE WE ARE ALL THE SAME...TREATS OR NO TREATS...THE THING IS WE CAN ALL HAVE A BIT OF WHAT WE FANCY...BUT THE MESSAGE IS IN THE BIT WORD.....THANKS FOR SUCH A GREAT POST.....
BIF........or you can call me ANDY....well anyone can...........

Grace a very interesting post.;)

I am a bit further on than you and had experienced the rebellions like you.:eek:

I must say it does get a lot easier the further you go. :)

Keep up the good work hun. xxx

Grace, the 5 day is going well. It's day two today, was hungry but only cos i went to rescue my car from its mot and hadn't had me soup for lunch at 12 when i usually eat... Am now pleasantly satisfied and am questioning whether i could do another day of fluids or whether to go onto soft protein as the test says tomorrow... It's mad but i feel like i've lost weight as i tried on my size 18 jeans that i brought some time ago and they did up with a bit of a breath in (but no lying on the bed lol)... Am keen to see how my restriction is tomorrow :)

And you are 100% right, this site is so fantastic because of all the great members on here...

Grace what a lovely post, they definatly don't do anything with our brains do they when we have our surgery! I too am in the midst of the rebellion and am fighting with my head quite a bit just now. You are one h**ll of a strong lady and when you say something i know you will do it hun so you go girl and watch out 2011 Grace is about lol xx

Grace, the 5 day is going well. It's day two today, was hungry but only cos i went to rescue my car from its mot and hadn't had me soup for lunch at 12 when i usually eat... Am now pleasantly satisfied and am questioning whether i could do another day of fluids or whether to go onto soft protein as the test says tomorrow... It's mad but i feel like i've lost weight as i tried on my size 18 jeans that i brought some time ago and they did up with a bit of a breath in (but no lying on the bed lol)... Am keen to see how my restriction is tomorrow :)

And you are 100% right, this site is so fantastic because of all the great members on here...

Wow Julie it's sounding like that pouch test is well worth doing and if I hit issues later on I will definitely try to do it too. I bet you have lost some weight as well! Woohoo!
Funnily enough I bought a pair of size 18 jeans myself from Sainsburies just last week...they were VERY tight but since I bought them for our trip to Bruges just before Christmas, I thought I'd get them anyway. Well since I couldn't get out to get weighed today, I thought I'd try them on to see if they were still as tight. They went on easy...snug but easy! Woohooo!

Grace what a lovely post, they definatly don't do anything with our brains do they when we have our surgery! I too am in the midst of the rebellion and am fighting with my head quite a bit just now. You are one h**ll of a strong lady and when you say something i know you will do it hun so you go girl and watch out 2011 Grace is about lol xx

Hi Allie and thanks so much for your encouragement. If there's anything at all I can do to help you through your rebellious phase, just let me know. You too are a very strong lady though, and I'm sure you're going to be fine. As you say though, it is most certainly a case of getting your head in the right place. Allie, you've always been one of my great inspirations on this site: keep it up pet, you can do it!

Hugs and love
Grace xxx

Perfume and other treats

I'm sure I'm not alone in using food as a treat, a comfort and a way to celebrate?
One thing the psychologist asked me pre-op was how I would substitute that in my life. I'm not sure I have up to now, especially with having been so poorly and weak post-op and hen the bad weather hitting.

But just reading Stephie's thread on favourite prefumes has given me an idea.

My favourite perfume is Chanel Mademoiselle Coco - but it doesn't come cheap.

So - instead of spending money on food, treats, take-aways, chocolate etc: I'm going to get into the habit of putting a few quid away to spend on perfume.

I think I'll also establish a trip fund. I'm so looking forward to going to Bruges just before Christmas. So I think I will also save up for other little trips to other places throughout next year.
I suspect part of my new life is to have things to aim for (other than weight loss!) and to look forward to!

Great idea Grace.....I think I might try and do the same after Christmas, just put a little bit at a time away. It soon adds up :D We will smell lovely XX

Back