• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wls, diet or life style change ??

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
any long term wls patients out there ? wls has sort of become a new diet to me.
on march 22nd 2009 i will be 4 years with a band ! i have i think done well with my over all weight loss physically, but for me ive been thinking about my chain of thought towards food and what i expected my chain of thought to be this far after wls to be.
i thought after all this time id be used to eating smaller portions and with that the head hunger and cravings would be gone as i thought with the life style change the head hunger/thoughts about food would change also, but it hasn't, ive now come to the conclusion that no matter how many years go by after wls the chain of thought/ craving for bad foods will never leave me and once a food addict always a food addict, physically wls has made a major difference to my life but the brain takes very much longer to change.
does anyone else feel this way or am i just the oddment ???????

any long term wls patients out there ? wls has sort of become a new diet to me.
on march 22nd 2009 i will be 4 years with a band ! i have i think done well with my over all weight loss physically, but for me ive been thinking about my chain of thought towards food and what i expected my chain of thought to be this far after wls to be.
i thought after all this time id be used to eating smaller portions and with that the head hunger and cravings would be gone as i thought with the life style change the head hunger/thoughts about food would change also, but it hasn't, ive now come to the conclusion that no matter how many years go by after wls the chain of thought/ craving for bad foods will never leave me and once a food addict always a food addict, physically wls has made a major difference to my life but the brain takes very much longer to change.
does anyone else feel this way or am i just the oddment ???????
Hi liz, i have to say that i agree with you on this one, i know that we are all different and obviously some will cope with their eating emotions better than others, but even though i am only 4 months post band i really struggle with my relationship to food. I am having my third fill next saturday which i really need, but the last few weeks have been a real struggle with the food, and to be honest it is more emotional than actual hunger, but its the same old senario with me i have always turned to food if im depressed, if im stressed, for a treat or for shear boredom. Im hoping that once i get to target the thinness will take over the food addiction, but i doubt it, i think that it will be a constant battle for years to come. I also think that some of us have more of an addictive nature compared to others as i used to be a heavy smoker until nine years ago, i packed that up and turned to food which then became another addiction in itself, i then became addicted to chewing gum to also replace the fags, but had to wean myself off that in september to prepare for the band, so that was a struggle in itself and i now have to cope with the cravings of the food, the chewing gum and even after nine years, the cigarettes. Hopefully we will all get there in the end. julie

thankyou for your reply julieann, i agree food is one of many addictions in life, my band has helped me control my food addiction which is a positive thing, well done on giving up the faggs, your a stronger person than me, i gave up smoking a couple of times before but always went back to them, as you say its like an addiction transfere after giving one thing up we replace it with another to compensate what we have lost.

great thread Liz

Im not post op, but think I will always struggle with my food addiction. For me, that was the main reason for choosing bypass over band, as I think a lot more willpower is needed with the band (just my opinion - not trying to cause an argument)

I think even with a gastric bypass, once I have shed the weight, I will always struggle to maintain my weight. I, like most obese people, eat for any and every reason. Im ashamed to admit I dont think I have felt true hunger for years as I never go that long without food.

I really admire you Liz for having a second band when the first failed you. Many would have thrown in the towel at that point.

But to answer your final question - Im sure you will always be an oddment PMSL. But the same goes for me!

:8855: oh yes im an oddment, just like the odd sock from the washing machine !

:eek: but hey i like being individual lol

liz

As you know I had the bypass and prior to that all I could think about was food. As soon as my eyes opened in the morning I would be planning my day of food. I would buy "treats" always something nice to eat and I justified it by saying my life was crap and it was my only pleasure. I was scared that it would continue after surgery but for me its only odd days I get head hunger and I still think about my food but only in the way that I can have something healthy and tasty to eat. For me though I had other issues that needed addressing and lucky for me the surgery came right at the end of the changing process and was the icing on the cake (no pun intended)....not sure if this is coming out how I wanted it to I guess I was just very lucky and this was the reason I got so agitated waiting for funding approval I wanted it all to come together...xx

Back