• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Living the by-pass life!

Great idea Grace.....I think I might try and do the same after Christmas, just put a little bit at a time away. It soon adds up :D We will smell lovely XX

and look gorgeous too Dotty! :D

Grace, i think you'll have to take your size 18 jeans back to Sainsburys lol, they may be round your ankles in Bruges!

Great idea about the treat jar, i have a tin i may throw some cash in every week. I can use it for a treat at some point during next year, or just save it for the sales this time next year, because hopefully i'll be close to goal by then :)

Fab thread xx

you are a true inspiration Grace and I love to read your posts.....I too have started a fund...I have started putting £5 a week away and when I reach goal I am gonna book a shopping trip and go spend all the lovely "fat" money on a new wardrobe of clothes xxxxxx

slowing weight loss

My weight loss was only 1 pound this week and only a total of 4 pounds this month. I have to say I'm disappointed. I never have been known for my patience!

However, since I have vowed to myself to embrace this life, I've been thinking about what I can do to help myself. One thing is exercise, but since I'm only just beginning to feel human after my second op, and since the weather is so horrible, I can't say I'm in too much of hurry to do that. However, in the spring I'm going to join a gym and try to buy a mountain bike too!

But what can I do for myself in the meantime? I've been pondering on my diet.

I'm going to make a huge concerted effort to eat enough and of the right things, including 2 pieces of fruit and 2 portions of veg per day, as well as 6 portions of protein. I rarely manage this, but I am going to really try.

Also, I'm delighted to discover that I actually LIKE water again! I used to drink loads of it, but went off it big-time post-op. But last night I managed to drink 2 pints!
So: I am going to try to down 2-3 litres per day.....I remember from SW that plenty of water used to = a good weight loss.:)
and I know that haven't drunk nearly enough since my ops.

I've also got into a naughty habit of eating and drinking some 'empty calories' - the odd bag of crisps or FrenchFries, and the odd glass of beer or cider of an eveing!:eek:
so I'm going to try to cut these out completely. (though I may indulge in a glass of Belgian beer whilst in Bruges! but that's only 2 days!)

The thing is, I want my 'normal' regime to be one of eating healthily and ensuring that any food or drink I consume is the good stuff, which will benefit my body and aid my health and weight loss.
If I can do this for 90% of the time, then I reckon I'll be able to afford the odd little treat for holidays, birthdays and special occasions. But it has to be the ODD little treat, not a daily or even a weekly occurrence!

I'm setting myself a mini weight loss target: I want to lose another 2 stones by the end of February! In some ways, my body will do what it will do; but as far as I can help myself to achieve my target, by eating and drinking healthily, and as soon as fitness and weather allows, by exercising regularly, I will.

Good plan Grace, I hope you manage to get the weight moving although I think youve done really weel after what youve been through! I really struggle with getting enough fluid down, Im going to try and inprove that! Good luck hun :D XX

I like you Grace a lot, and I love your posts so I know you'll take this the right way. It won't be kittens and rainbows as I'm not a fan of the syrupy approach, but I post it because I know you want to be a success and I want you to be too

The honeymoon period is soon over post op. You have maybe a year tops to get the bulk of your weight loss done. It is vital therefore that we maximise our efforts during this time as once it’s gone then it’s gone.

Trust me you never have a better chance of losing the weight that you want to lose. After a year your appetite will be back with a vengeance and I'm not talking about head hunger I'm talking about full-blown hunger that lasts all day. Some days there is just no filling me and I struggle to stop myself reaching for the fridge door :cry:

It’s in the first few weeks and months that the hard work has to be done. We have to use the period where food is something you can hardly face to break the control it has over us. We have to break that chain of craving for the foods that we used to eat before we get back to the point where our resolve is tested.

I'm so proud of you in that you have realised that your on the slippery slope and want to do something to arrest your slide, but in the next breath you talk about drinking carbonated beer because its only for two days! :D That kind of flies in the face of your previous statements

I know you had a bad time and that it has taken you a while to get over your operations but you need to start exercising as soon as possible as therein lies the key to long term success. Just walking will be a start if it’s done at a fast pace and taken for 45 minutes a day. Planning to join the gym and get a mountain bike six months from now is too late. It’s the kind of thing we used to say when we were huge, next year I’m going to start this, tomorrow I’m going to eat that etc. Today is the time to start even if its only walking to the bottom of the garden and back it’s a start

Forget treats Grace. Treats are rewarding yourself with bad food choices just because it’s a birthday or Christmas or it’s Sunday. As you say they creep back up on you. Why reward with food? Reward yourself with something that will benefit you or make you feel good.

I’m no saint trust me. I eat crisps once every two weeks but not because it’s a treat, just because I want them and I can control myself around them. There are foods I have no control over so I don’t have anything to do with them and I hope I have conditioned my brain to accept that I never will have them again, time will tell. :eek:

I think setting goals is vital. You should have a long-term goal that you want to achieve with a date, not just “when it happens” because that way it will never happen. Supplement this with short-term achievable goals that will keep you motivated by achieving them regularly.

I so want you to be a fantastic success Grace and when I read your posts in the main I am convinced that you will be just that. But talk is cheap honeybunch. I want to see action or else I’ll send the boys round and put a bat up your nightdress :D:D

Again if this has offended you let me know and I’ll delete it, as my intention is only to help and support you in a way that offers proper advice and not just sycophantic puppy stuff. You need to get at least two liters of water in a day as fat can only be metabolised in fluid so its important you drink a lot. Just remember the 30/30 rule

PM me your number if you like and you can tell me to chuff off and mind my own business. Good luck with it lady xxx

Very constructive post as always Karl, I love your straight forward no messing approach and I dont think you come across as offensive atall :D Otherwise Id send the boys round to put a 2 by 4 up YOUR nighty ;)
Just a quick question, would you class a pro biotic (little bottle jobbies) as drink or food?
Thanks in advance ;) XX

I like you Grace a lot, and I love your posts so I know you'll take this the right way. It won't be kittens and rainbows as I'm not a fan of the syrupy approach, but I post it because I know you want to be a success and I want you to be too

The honeymoon period is soon over post op. You have maybe a year tops to get the bulk of your weight loss done. It is vital therefore that we maximise our efforts during this time as once it’s gone then it’s gone.

Trust me you never have a better chance of losing the weight that you want to lose. After a year your appetite will be back with a vengeance and I'm not talking about head hunger I'm talking about full-blown hunger that lasts all day. Some days there is just no filling me and I struggle to stop myself reaching for the fridge door :cry:

It’s in the first few weeks and months that the hard work has to be done. We have to use the period where food is something you can hardly face to break the control it has over us. We have to break that chain of craving for the foods that we used to eat before we get back to the point where our resolve is tested.

I'm so proud of you in that you have realised that your on the slippery slope and want to do something to arrest your slide, but in the next breath you talk about drinking carbonated beer because its only for two days! :D That kind of flies in the face of your previous statements

I know you had a bad time and that it has taken you a while to get over your operations but you need to start exercising as soon as possible as therein lies the key to long term success. Just walking will be a start if it’s done at a fast pace and taken for 45 minutes a day. Planning to join the gym and get a mountain bike six months from now is too late. It’s the kind of thing we used to say when we were huge, next year I’m going to start this, tomorrow I’m going to eat that etc. Today is the time to start even if its only walking to the bottom of the garden and back it’s a start

Forget treats Grace. Treats are rewarding yourself with bad food choices just because it’s a birthday or Christmas or it’s Sunday. As you say they creep back up on you. Why reward with food? Reward yourself with something that will benefit you or make you feel good.

I’m no saint trust me. I eat crisps once every two weeks but not because it’s a treat, just because I want them and I can control myself around them. There are foods I have no control over so I don’t have anything to do with them and I hope I have conditioned my brain to accept that I never will have them again, time will tell. :eek:

I think setting goals is vital. You should have a long-term goal that you want to achieve with a date, not just “when it happens” because that way it will never happen. Supplement this with short-term achievable goals that will keep you motivated by achieving them regularly.

I so want you to be a fantastic success Grace and when I read your posts in the main I am convinced that you will be just that. But talk is cheap honeybunch. I want to see action or else I’ll send the boys round and put a bat up your nightdress :D:D

Again if this has offended you let me know and I’ll delete it, as my intention is only to help and support you in a way that offers proper advice and not just sycophantic puppy stuff. You need to get at least two liters of water in a day as fat can only be metabolised in fluid so its important you drink a lot. Just remember the 30/30 rule

PM me your number if you like and you can tell me to chuff off and mind my own business. Good luck with it lady xxx

LOL Thanks a lot Karl. No I'm not offended at all! and I definitely don't want a bat up my nighty, even if there is room for one now!
I agree with much of what you say, but not all. You're right in that we need to break cycles and mental attitudes too. That's why I began this thread and it's great you've put your two pennorth worth in!
I suppose I do look at food as a treat, hence the thought of eating 'nice' things at birthdays, Christmas etc. I guess to a large extent, that pattern of behaviour does need to be broken.
But let's face it, this is a cultural thing too, and not just British. Most cultures I can think of have a feast at celebrations, and if I can't even have a little taste, then I won't feel I'm taking part in the celebrations. For me, the trick is going to be learning the self-control to allow the 'just a little taste' for that ONE celebration (and choosing the most healthy option for the little taste too) and then back to the normal patter of healthy eating.

As for Bruges: the Belgian beer is just so gorgeous! They have all kinds of amazing fruit beers. I don't think they are carbonated (I don't touch fizzy stuff); they're more like an ale. I remember them so well from my last visit to Bruges: and also the Belgian chocolate! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've never seen so many chocolate shops in my life! I've already decided I will NOT touch the chocolate, but I was thinking one or two beers would do no harm? I'm also planning to choose healthy food options and stay away from the frites (Belgian chips; chips were my BIGGEST down-fall pre-op.)

As for exercise: you won't know because i don't make a big fuss about it, but I've suffered from M.E. which has at times been so bad that I couldn't get out of bed. Because of this, my muscles are what is called de-conditioned and therefore exercise is a huge challenge to me. Hence wanting to go swimming, as it's one of the few exercises I can manage at the moment; but first I wasn't even up to that (because of the way i've been since my 2nd op) and now I can't get to the baths because we're so snowed up! Hence my talk of joining a gym 'next year': meaning hopefully January...and getting a bike in the spring (when I can both afford to, and when my muscles tone hopefully will have improved enough to allow me to ride one.

Thanks for the advice on the water. I'm definitely not drinking enough and maybe that's why my weight loss has slowed?

I'm shocked at what you say about being constantly hungry a year out. I do now very occasionally feel a twinge of hunger now (but rarely) and I have to admit I'd expected that to carry on. All the more reason then to as you say, maximise on the weight loss now. This is great advice and honestly, you wonder how come the hospitals don't give you this information? They certainly haven't said anything like this to me. It's really important we know this stuff!

I am completely determined not to ever regain weight, not ever again, so I will try to take on board what you've said Karlos, even the unpalatable bits!

Thanks so much though for you thoughts and advice and input. Its genuinely and greatly appreciated, as is any more advice and input you can offer.
Apart from the bat!
Grace xxx

Last edited:
Grace i wish you well with all of your plans, for the bike and the gym....

I too would like to thank Karlos for his valuable advice. I'm taking it on board as i lost a grand total of 6lb last month. In the normal world that would be great, in the bypass world it sucks every so slightly.

Good luck Grace, here's to nicer weather so we can get off our butts and do what we want xx

Grace i wish you well with all of your plans, for the bike and the gym....

I too would like to thank Karlos for his valuable advice. I'm taking it on board as i lost a grand total of 6lb last month. In the normal world that would be great, in the bypass world it sucks every so slightly.

Good luck Grace, here's to nicer weather so we can get off our butts and do what we want xx

Thanks so much Julie.......and by the way honey, you beat me by 2 pounds...and you're right, it sucks!

Grace xxx

Grace, this is a horrible time of year, the dark nights, food always on the telly because of the C word, and generally feeling like hibinating. Give it a few more months the light evenings the sunshine during the day and generally feeling fitter and happier. We have all been given a second chance and of course we all need a treat now and then. I also believe you have the strength to get where you want to get and you have been an inspiration to us all, be strong my love.

Hannah xxxx

WOW fantastic post! Was coming along to say great thinking Grace, but start exercising NOW and knock the beer and cider on the head ...altho I'm still not sure why carbonated drinks are out....and Karlos put it much more eloquently, expertly and harshly than I ever could :D

I needed to read that too, its everything my dietician drummed into us preop, so thanks Karlos and the very best of luck Grace xxx

Great to see everyone here taking Karl`s comments on board. Me included. We all need a kick up the bum sometimes to remind ourselves what we are doing here and what our long term goal is.
It is very easy to become complacent, but also very dangerous, because one bad day can turn into one bad week etc; and it all gets out of hand. So we all have a duty to make sure that does`nt happen. I for one know how strong-willed I need to be to make the right choices, and to overcome my yearning for the wrong ones.

Grace - I am certain you can achieve your goal, and with support from here, and your own will and determination - you can make it happen. Best Wishes hun x

Love Kat x

Rebirth:
Where does my help come from? I look to the hills! Help comes from the Lord! I am sure it is indeed He who has brought me to this new understanding and focus!
Insomnia is not all bad! LOL!
Thank you so much for your prayers; I shall do the same for you. We are indeed blessed t have our faith in someone higher and stronger to turn to when things get tough, are we not?
Thank you so much for your great encouragement.
As I said before: standing still or going backwards
not an option for me! I will go forward and re-take that which has been stolen from me! Tally-ho!
I want LIFE in abundance; I CHOOSE life!

Grace xxx

You go for it Grace - you deserve good things lovely lady. Big hug

Linski xxxx

You go for it Grace - you deserve good things lovely lady. Big hug

Linski xxxx

Thanks pet. Where've you been recently? I've missed you!
Grace xxx

Back