• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Living with Lactose Intolerence

sophiapink100

Hi everyone,

So a little bit of background. Basically ever since having my gall bladder removed in 2012 I have suffered with severe ibs and never had control over it what so ever. I would spend up to 2 hours a day on the toilet as I went 5-6 times a day.

Anyway following on from my gastric sleeve I found initially my problems stopped, until they started all over again and began switching between severe diarrhoea and severe constipation.

Anyway I couldn't carry on anyway I was having days off work as I couldn't leave my bed from the sheer agony so I decided to speak to my dietitian and find out what the major cause is.

So the first thing I thought was lactose, so I cut it out for 2 weeks and then slowly introduced certain items - it became very apparent very quickly that I have quite a sever lactose intolerance.

So here I am now living my new lactose free life, who knew it was in SO much!!

Is anyone else in a similar boat? Any tips? Best place for dairy free goods?

Thanks guys

Xxx

Zoobles

We buy a lot of Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda 'free from' products. I have to buy products which are gluten free and dairy free for my children, so I don't know how much is solely dairy/lactose free, but they're a good place to start. :)

Tina.W12

I also use Lactose free milk, it's fine I can't taste the difference. My cats don't like it though!!

I also use almond milk which is a nice flavour in milky drinks. I'm still on liquids only

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Hi everyone,

So a little bit of background. Basically ever since having my gall bladder removed in 2012 I have suffered with severe ibs and never had control over it what so ever. I would spend up to 2 hours a day on the toilet as I went 5-6 times a day.

Anyway following on from my gastric sleeve I found initially my problems stopped, until they started all over again and began switching between severe diarrhoea and severe constipation.

Anyway I couldn't carry on anyway I was having days off work as I couldn't leave my bed from the sheer agony so I decided to speak to my dietitian and find out what the major cause is.

So the first thing I thought was lactose, so I cut it out for 2 weeks and then slowly introduced certain items - it became very apparent very quickly that I have quite a sever lactose intolerance.

Thanks guys

Xxx

Yep me .. I have found it relatively easy to find alternatives in the usual supermarkets but I mainly use soya milk in things and love apro yogurts. The only disappointment I have is that I have had to give up my butterscotch angel delight as a treat because it just won't thicken with substitutes. Most good coffee places serve soya lattes too so all is good. However I have just sussed that I am also having issues with wheat products..had an inkling for a while but after cutting it out of my diet for a few weeks and then reintroduction it's quite evident I do. ..Its still early days but Im finding it more problematic to avoid!

I use the lacto free products they are fab ?

Even the lactofree affects me as the lactose isn't always completely removed from their products... It works well with angel delight though which is a big bummer for me :mad:

Yvessa

Me!

CONSIE70

Hi everyone,

Thanks guys

Xxx

Hi There

never been able to have milk products, and that really bothered me , worried about how to get the protein in me, yesterday came acros NXT BEEF PROTEIN IN SPORTS SHOP, 24G PROTEIN IN ONE SCOOP, no dairy at all or sugar, get in few flavours , i chose fruits of forest 250ml of water 1 scoop fruit cordial drink, really nice and 24g protein, good luck

sophiapink100

Hi There never been able to have milk products, and that really bothered me , worried about how to get the protein in me, yesterday came acros NXT BEEF PROTEIN IN SPORTS SHOP, 24G PROTEIN IN ONE SCOOP, no dairy at all or sugar, get in few flavours , i chose fruits of forest 250ml of water 1 scoop fruit cordial drink, really nice and 24g protein, good luck

Will definitely look this up.

Thanks a mill!

Caroline jess

Have you considered looking at paleo recipes? Paleo is massively popular at the moment and is based around intolerance and digestive problems, premise is that many people have not evolved correctly to digest gluten/dairy/sugar etc as these are a relatively recent addition to human diets. 90% of recipes will be dairy/processed sugar and gluten free which are great for ibs. I followed this last year but I don't cut out lugumes. I am not saying that I entirely agree with all of it but it's very easy on the tummy and naturally healthy and low carb.