• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long term effects?...

bex j88

Hi peeps
Was talking to my family about my decision to have wls and they have all put the heeby jeebies up me- they asked a valid question which I don't really know the answer to...
His long has wls been being carried out for? Ie does anyone know the real long term effects of having a bypass/band/sleeve etc?
Any input would be gratefully received!
Thanks
Bex

Bypass has been done for years and if you look at medical journals there's lots of statistics.

tbh there risks with every kind of surgery not just WLS,being fat has more health risks than the surgery x

Id recommend looking at at least 5 years+. On some sites, you are only going to find positives from current users. Those who have died cant post and a lot seemingly disappear and not all can be disappearing because they are living a great life.

For some it clearly works, but most seem to be positive until 4yrs + out and then some experience, weight gain, dieting, malabsorption without weight loss, and it certainly is no light undertaking. Think about what will be in 30 yrs time for you.

Those who have had it are going to be positive on the whole. Noone would like to think theyve made a mistake on such a big change in their plumbing. I think it is literally the case that you only find out what side of the coin you are on after having it.

Ive read of 9mths in ICU vs out in 5 days and no issue. You dont see many regrets under 2 yrs, but with some, I think anything causing weight loss - no matter how serious the cause- was worth it for them to be thinner. Make sure you go on forums that are not just about surgery. Get a broad picture that is not biased either way.

It is not an easy decision.

It was a very easy decision for me. I was eating myself to death anyway. Im only 3 months out and have lost 62lb so far, im already so much healthier, can walk now, cross my legs etc. When i was researching, i found that, the people who died, didnt die on the table, but had underlying health issues, ie heart problems, which caused the death. There is someone on this site who is 10 years out, although the name escapes me right now. Good luck with what you decide to do, you will make the right decision, im sure :) xxx

The bypass is longest standing procedure, most bypassers on here have had the roux en-y. Things have changed so much over the years as you can imagine and most ops are now performed laprascopicaly rather than open (more risky).

I think I'm the longest term bander on here that still posts but at 3 years out I'm still a newbie.

As Yvessa said there are lots of stats etc on the internet, some scary some not so much.

If you are concerned talk things over with your team xx

I & my family had the same questions at the beginning. Did my research, consulted my doctors etc & as people have said before the risks were so much higher staying at my start weight. I decided on a sleeve & best decision of my life despite a few issues at the beginning. Now nearly 6 months out, 7 1/2 stones lost, no chronic back pain, I can run! Loving it. Good luck.

Back