• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

From the very start of my journey....

Dell

I decided to start a diary on here, then I can rid my head of all the thoughts about WLS that are flying round it without filling the entire board with my questions and ramblings!

I guess my journey really started 20 years ago when I really began to pile the weight on. I have always had a sweet tooth and a voracious appetite but when I left home at 19 to live hundreds of miles from home and was earning a good salary. with nobody to guide me, I ate (and drank!) whatever I wanted and from there came some of my worst habits.

Over the years I have tried a whole host of weight loss strategies - cookie diet, shakes, WW, SW, RC, CD, calorie counting, Atkins, Reductil, CBT, exercising more....you name it. I can easily lose 2-3 stone and then plateau, get bored, pile it back on. I normally ended up the exact same weight each time (20st3lb) but this time no, I went up to 21st7lb. Whilst going through the processes above I have realised I have binge eating issues and have worked through a sugar addiction.

In around April this year I spoke to my GP about WLS and he agreed to write to the CTP to apply for funding for this. I heard nothing and in fact told my GP I thought I had changed my mind, but lo and behold on Friday I got a call out of the blue from the GP surgery to say they had received a letter to say I have been approved for the funding!

Since then my head has been spinning. I am still awaiting the letter, but am seeing my GP on Thursday morning anyway so hope to set the ball rolling then.

I am excited, apprehensive, nervous, swaying from thoughts that I can't go through with it because I might die and that I have to go through with it because it will change my life.

I am hoping all of this is normal!! I am prepared for it not to be tho ;) I am a lifelong over-thinker and wear my heart on my sleeve, so there are rarely any doubts on how I am feeling! I am a very open person and whilst I won't broadcast my journey to the world (hence a complete pseudonym on here and few personal details as yet) I won't keep it a secret from those I care about.

I expect it will be a long journey from now and don't even expect to be anywhere near the actual op this year. However, its already having an impact on any long term plans I had like holidays for next year as I simply don't know what I wil be doing or when I will be doing it.

Having read up on WLS as much as I have, I think RNY bypass is the best option for me. I have a BMI of around 50, weigh around 21st. I am fit and healthy, good BP and cholesterol, fitish (!). I have had a lap chole 15 years ago and 2xCS, but otherwise nothing of note. I really hope this is what I am advised to do and keyhole can happen!

I have SO many questions! Does everyone look at their own mortality (for example the hospital I think I shall be sent to for my Op has recently lost a patient :( )? Does anyone else worry more about the barium swallow afterwards than the op itself :rolleyes: ? How much notice of your DH/OH do you take in making this life changing decision? How much do you tell young children? Do you REALLY get to eat normal consistency food afterwards, or is it puree for life? Is it rude to ask the surgeon HIS patient mortality rate?

Thats me for now!

Been and got everyone up and showered and ready for school and already thought of more things racing through my mind!

How do you eat out post-op?
Can you drink alcohol post-op?
Can you exercise post-op? How much?
Can you lead a completely normal life post-op, other than eating less?

This could get long!? The consultant I eventually see had better be prepared :D

hiya dell these are all the questions ive been asking myself to hun so your not alone i think we all ask these questions thats why its important to cme on here and ask them go on the boards and put your questions there dont worry they have heard em all b4 i do it and its a way of getin to knw peeps on there im nt in a position to answer any of these questions yet but im hoping i will soon be lol take care and try not to worry to much just think to yourself what will be will be its the way im thinking to help me get through this emotional roller coaster that im on hope ive helped in sme small way lin.x

First of all, hi & welcome! Congrats on getting your funding for surgery, that is a big step. It is an exciting journey ahead of you so take a deep breath in and out, you have come to the right place for support, advice and sharing information. I thought I would dive in and give you my answers to your questions, but remember they are just from my personal perspective and experience. The answers will vary from person to person, surgeon to surgeon, hospital to hospital ect.

Does everyone look at their own mortality (for example the hospital I think I shall be sent to for my Op has recently lost a patient :( )?

Yes, you should look at the stats from your hospital & your surgeon because the facility and the skill/experience of your sugeon plays a role in the risk to you. The national averages are a place to start but your life is in the hands of your particular hospital team.

Does anyone else worry more about the barium swallow afterwards than the op itself :rolleyes: ?

My surgeon, Dr. Ammori does not do the barium swallow, he does a dye test while you are still under to check for leaks. However, I think that although the barium swallow is described as unpleasant it is nothing to fear.

How much notice of your DH/OH do you take in making this life changing decision?

For me it was very important that my hubby be supportive of the surgery. I knew I would have weak moments and doubt myself and I needed to know that he would be mentally prepared to encourage me, and to do that I knew he needed to think I was making the best possible choice. I talked about it alot with him but what helped him the most to agree with my choice was going to a support group meeting so he could talk to people who had the bypass. That sold him on it, seeing real people who had the surgery and thought it was the best thing the ever did.

How much do you tell young children?

I can't answer this question because I don't have children (yet, the bypass may help with that!) but I understand it is a tricky question.

Do you REALLY get to eat normal consistency food afterwards, or is it puree for life?

I absolutely, hand over heart, eat regular food and have done so since about 8 weeks post-op. Different surgeons will require so many weeks a different stages, my surgeon required 2 weeks liquids only, 2-4 weeks puree and then 1-2 weeks soft food and then on to normal solid food. I can eat all food types and really enjoy a nice meal out. I eat small, healthy portions of food from most any menu. I avoid high fat & high sugar foods but otherwise I have a bit of whatever I fancy. It is lovely to enjoy good food in a small portion and never feel guilty.

Is it rude to ask the surgeon HIS patient mortality rate?

It is not rude to ask, in fact it is one of the most important things you can ask. I was given the national average of 1 in 200 for the bypass which was scary. However, my surgeon has done over 1000 surgeries and only lost two patients, one who died from complications of an unrelated illness.

How do you eat out post-op?

I have 3 small balanced meals and 1-2 healthy snacks per day. I eat 50% protein, 25% fruit & veg, 25% carbs (mostly complex carbs like wholemeal). I have lots of variety, I really don't have foods I can't eat. I don't enjoy bread, rice & pasta like I used to since they make me feel very full but I don't avoid them just have small amounts when I fancy it.

Can you drink alcohol post-op?

Yes, you can have alcohol post-op. Your surgeon will advise you when they recommend that you can resume alcohol. It is wise to remember that 1) you will have less tolerance to alcohol post-op and may feel drunk quickly, 2) alcohol has a high calorie content and therefore should be consumed in moderation or it could inhibit your weight
loss, and 3) people with food addictions can transfer that addiction to alcohol which can quickly get out of control. Be smart, take your professional advice and practice moderation and safety when drinking.

Can you exercise post-op? How much?

Exercise is possible and advisable post-op. I was advised to wait until I was 6 weeks post-op before I started an exercise program. I started with water aerobics once per week and gentle walking. Then I added a fitness video a couple times per week. Once you are healed and feeling up to it, you should begin a regular activity that you enjoy. I think the standard advice is 3-5 times per week for at least a half hour but again check with your team to find out what is advisable considering your personal health and fitness.

Can you lead a completely normal life post-op, other than eating less?

Yes and that should be your goal, healthy normal living with balanced but small eating. I have to take vits & minerals for life to ensure my good health but other than that my life is completely normal.

I hope my answers have helped you, feel free to ask away. Best of luck!

Nic:D

Last edited:
Hi again!
Nic thank you SO much for answering all the questions I have been asking myself! :D All that was really really useful. I don't feel as silly now, thinking the things I was!

I think getting to a support group will be a huge help for my husband. His (and my really) main concern is not the op, the recovery the future, but mortality, nothing else. He knows I am a strong person and I can cope with anything I have to do to get through the physical and mental side of it, but he fears my death. I have to admit, this worries me as yes 1/200 scares the hell out of me! The fact a patient was lost recently (I gather) at the hospital my CTP has a contract with scares me to death, but I will most definitely be asking the surgeon lots of questions on that score!

I am SO excited as this seems like it could finally be happening, I have dreamt of it for 4 years now, since the birth of my youngest child, never imagining I would ever have the chance.

I can't wait to see my GP on Thursday to get the ball rolling now!

Thanks Nic and FGS for your lovely replies, and your inspiration! I love checking out the photos!
Dell
xxxx

Welcome Dell
Best thing u will do coming on here!
It has given me a better understanding of what will happen to me and how i will feel, once i have had my surgery.
I know that if i have any problems, questions i need answering, i know i only have to ask on here and someone will always come back with advise!!
Its really good for us to be able to speak with ppl who have been there and worn the t-shirt (in a smaller size than was originally used to)!! :cool:

I'd also like to thank Nic / Phatgirl for answering all of the questions you posted above, very informative to me as well. :flowers:

Well here's to our journey to new slim ppl... :happy036:

Take Care and speak soon.

Hi Shell and DOBS! Thanks for the welcome, this is a great place,. so informative!

I see my GP tomorrow, first time since we both heard about the funding news, so will find out what happens next really!

Another thing that is worrying me is this Milk Diet business as I can't STAND milk - well only in milkshake and milky coffee but drinking plain milk :eek: All in a good cause tho I guess!!!!

Getting VERY excited now and just desperate to get the ball rolling!

xx

Ok so I saw my GP. He is going to refer me, I have to go to Hull, as that is where our CTP has a contract with and will be referred to Mr Royston. I have searched on here and found NOTHING about him at all :hmm:but never mind!

So I don't know when this will happen and am waiting again....but getting there!

I mentioned I had read lately about them losing a patient in Hull (not sure if it was Minimins or elsewhere I read about it) but GP poo-pooed this and said Mr Royston is a "great bloke".

So we shall see! Am so very impatient tho :mad:

Thats great news to hear you have been refered Whoop!!!
I'm sure if you post on the main wls forum section there will be someone their who will know more about your sugeon Mr Royston.

I know its a wating game BUT YOU WILL GET THERE LOL, Easier for me to say, But you will. and will be sooooo worth it. x

Thanks FGS :)

I have had a rollercoaster of reactions to my tentative plans this week!

I am telling a few close friends, who I will need support from, and my hairdresser was 100% positive, really envious, was absolutely in awe about it all :D

Then my really close work colleague friend was REALLY negative. Kept going on about the risks, asking me why I can't do it on my own blah blah.

Made me feel a bit down afterwards really, and of course made ME dwell on the risks too.

But I am still more excited than nervous and trying not to worry or overthink!!!

Roll on that referral letter!!
x

We all have some one that thinks like you work mate. I think they are just really worried about us, but don't completely understand that we are just unable to loose weight any other way and as the dr told me it is my last resort.

hi there congratulations on your referal the ball is rolling now and it is a journey to relish as each day is a step closer to the new slim you. My sister is really negative about my operation as well in fact she has stopped talking to me over it but as i said to my husband my health is too important to go back now and she will have to get used to it and i am sure she will be fine after i have had the operation just as your friend will probably be. Good luck and best wishes with it all

Oh thanks Sharon and Lisa. I know I will come up against negativity, I am not telling many people about it at all. My real best friend has voiced concerns over the risks, but knows what it would do to my life to finally be slim and healthier, and so is very supportive.
My husband is in two minds. He loves me as I am, hasn't really known me any different, knows how much happier I would be slimmer, but obviously the risks worry him.
I intend to see if I can get him to come along to some of the pre-op meetings with me to set his mind at rest more. I know he would never stop me, but I have put him through a worrying time once before when I had a bit of a botched GA after a missed miscarriage, so I can understand his concerns, but have not had any problems since so....
xxx

Another diary entry from me, this time to say I received my appointment today to see my Consultant for the first time. 3 November to see Mr Kevin Wedgwood at Castle Hill. Its odd because he is one of the surgeons we correspond with at work but I know nothing at all about him!

I know he works for Spire as well as NHS, so he can't be too bad ;)

Unbelievably excited and can't believe how quickly its all happening. I only went for funding in April, forgot about it, heard I had funding approved on 11 September and saw my GP on 17 September and have an appointment already! Good old NHS :)

Need to calm myself down though and be sensible as I know I will see 2009 out before I have the actual surgery!
x

Me again, nothing new here really. have been struck down by some flu type thing, so Lovely Husband has taken children and dog out for a lonnnnnnng walk and to buy supplies so am staying in bed - which is unheard of for me as I am an early riser!

I have found a couple of local support groups, which are really useful as the people can offer experiences specific to my area and they both have websites, so thats good! I plan to go to a couple of meetings before I see my consultant on 3 November.

Apparently there is a 26 week wait in my area, but if you can show you have looked into it very well and know what you want and why, they will put you on the WL at your first appointment and then you see the dietician during your wait. So fingers crossed as that means I can look at a date around May 2010. Woohoo! I am all set for it to take a year though, but anything less would be a bonus!

Also have read some not so nice experiences, both in hospital care and post-op food experiences, which is good because I want to know what COULD happen, but not so nice as I am not the luckiest person in the world......:D

Mostly I am just SUPER excited, but I can't shake this huge huge feeling of what if I die :cry::sigh: My kids are almost 16, 7 and 4 and I keep looking at them and feel sick at the thought of me not being there for them.

I am sure its normal, but I wish it would go away!

Hi Dell,
Its quite normal to feel the way you do, all excited but nervous at the same time worrying if your gonna wake up or not, But honestly You will be fine.
It will be good for you to go to support groups and I am sure they will make you feel more relaxed & at ease at to what to expect nearer the time.
Good luck! Hopefully you won't have to wait to long.

Reporting back in!

I have avoided all things WLS of late as I was in danger of becoming obsessed, a WLS bore, esp as my first appt isn't until 3 November and also worrying myself half to death :rolleyes:

HOWEVER, in the post this evening, is a letter moving my appointment! So 22 October now!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BRING IT ON!!!!!

WTG!!!
Its exciting isn't it?!

Knowing you'll be a step closer to what you really want.

Congrats on your earlier apt. x :cool:

Back