• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long term implications of RNY

Miss Tickle

Hi all,
I watched a video posted by Kev ( great to have Kev back with all the interesting info ,innit?:D. The person making the video chose Sleeve over bypass after a number of her aquaintances had to have bowel surgery some time after their bypasses.
It got me thinking. I asked at my one and only meeting with an actual doctor ( way back in March 2010) the long term effects and didn't really get an answer.
I know a few people on here have chronic malabsorption ( I'm thinking of Shellbell, who could SO do without that on top of all her other, bravely born, health problems.
I know lots of people have gall bladder probs-but thats more from weight loss than the bypass itself.
Poor Dell has a kidney problem but is that bypass related?
So , to you long termers, do you have health problems now that are a result of bypass? Or problems that could be but aren't for sure?
Not a very jolly subject I know but maybe one that should be aired. Forewarned is forearmed and all that :)

Last edited:
Really interesting question! I am only 4 months out, no complications so far *fingerscrossed* but I know all the things you mentioned are quite common.

hiya i'm 2 + 1/2 yrs out and so far have had no problems at all (touch wood) my bloods have all so far come back ok so have not needed any B12 jabs but am taking all supplements daily (well unless like today i forget lol). I have wondered occasionally if there are any long term problems associated with bypass but so far i seem to be ok :D

the only other one I've heard of is oesteoarthritus due to lackof/malabsorbtion of calcium hence the calcium suppliment

I'm a year out and have no health problems.

I did lose some hair, but that's grown back now. I do make sure I take my supplements and get a good range of food in my diet and I do make sure I get my B12 shot every 3 months.

I'm 17 months out and previously had high blood sugar from diabetes, high cholesterol, asthma and chronic back pain. Since losing 7 stone my diabetes is in remission, cholesterol is normal asthma has disappeared and back pain has disappeared. They are all a plus - minus is I am low on vit d and I sometimes get hypos and dizzy spells which are low sugar and low blood pressure.

I also have reactive hypoglycaemia which means I get sudden dips in my blood sugar for no reason, and have to take sugar in quickly to rebalance it. This started during my pregnancy (I fell pregnant 8 months post op) and since having charlie I still get episodes but only 3/4 per month. I wasn't diabetic or anything pre-op.

It is very manageable, I can spot the early warning signs 95% of the time and carry dextrose tablets with me which is the fastest way to reverse it. Occasionally I miss the signs and it gets to a full blown hypo which makes me very shaky, light headed, dizzy and weak, and makes me a bit confused. So long as I get sugar in quickly it doesn't last long.

The biggest learning point has been to differentiate between a hypo and a dump, as the symptoms are so similar, and if I took in extra sugar while dumping it wouldn't be fun! Now I've got that cracked :)

Still, even with the reactive hypoglycaemia and the chronic malabsorption I don't regret my surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi i'm 15 months post bypass.......I'm not aware of any problems so far except the gall stones but as someone stated thats more the weightloss causing a problem than the bypass itself.......in fact the only problem i have at the moment is not enough money to spend on all the wonderful spring/summer clothes. xxx

tesmaralda said:
I also have a zinc deficiency which they are finding hard to resolve :(

:( how does that affect you Terri? Are there long term implications?

It affects nail growth (I have both horizontal and vertical ridges now), hair growth and healing properties (I take ages to heal - Gall bladder wounds tookm for ever and the 1 is still not 100% healed) I also haven't lost weight since I was 5 months post op so they don't know whether this is the reason why. had to have a load of bloods taken yesterday and got to go back in 3 months and keep a food diary. Asthma is getting worse not had an attack since my op until Christmas and then its been quite regular and I have regular diahorrea and get bloated really quickly and period cramps are on the increase. I am increasingly tired and am hoping that my B12 is not low as well(it was borderline 15 months ago.

The symptoms will worsen if not treated and some of them may make it impossible for me to work in schools due to the risk of infections even the common cold.

Am hoping they can sort it soon - have been taking zinc suppliments and forceval and trying to eat zinc rich foods, but this has been going on now for 15/16 months.

It affects nail growth (I have both horizontal and vertical ridges now), hair growth and healing properties (I take ages to heal - Gall bladder wounds tookm for ever and the 1 is still not 100% healed) I also haven't lost weight since I was 5 months post op so they don't know whether this is the reason why. had to have a load of bloods taken yesterday and got to go back in 3 months and keep a food diary. Asthma is getting worse not had an attack since my op until Christmas and then its been quite regular and I have regular diahorrea and get bloated really quickly and period cramps are on the increase. I am increasingly tired and am hoping that my B12 is not low as well(it was borderline 15 months ago.

The symptoms will worsen if not treated and some of them may make it impossible for me to work in schools due to the risk of infections even the common cold.

Am hoping they can sort it soon - have been taking zinc suppliments and forceval and trying to eat zinc rich foods, but this has been going on now for 15/16 months.

:hug99:

Good grief! :hug99:

o wowers!!!!! terri!! im speechless....

:( not good then Terri. Is there a different method of taking the zinc so it avoids the gastric route? Either IM, IV or the type which dissolve under the Tongue so they absorb through the gums? Think I remember someone mentioning that but it may have been for calcium.

Fingers crossed you can get it sorted, and big hugs as always x x

tesmaralda said:
One of the problems is zinc is not available on perscription so have to rely on over the counter supplements will have to see what blood tests results are :)

Tish pish and piddle. Sounds like your doctor is on a money saving initiative to me! I've had zincasol on script which is a soluble tablet so better absorbed than an enteric coated one, and so have many others here. If the test results show a deficiency then they most certainly can prescribe it, and if they refuse then lodge a formal complaint (which I'd happily write for you).

Tish pish and piddle. Sounds like your doctor is on a money saving initiative to me! I've had zincasol on script which is a soluble tablet so better absorbed than an enteric coated one, and so have many others here. If the test results show a deficiency then they most certainly can prescribe it, and if they refuse then lodge a formal complaint (which I'd happily write for you).

Thats interesting because even the hospital have said that there is nothing available on prescription. They are 2 completely different pcts aswell. I may have to chase my results sooner and get something done about it sooner rather than later. Am bored now I have finished my teaching placement :17729:lol

It's an expensive script so they often don't like prescribing it, my gp grumbled. I know nic had it up in Salford too.

Interesting post. I have and still am suffering from terrible hair loss, it is really upsetting as my hair has always been my best feature. I take a high dose silica 2500 supplement, and have done since before the op, but it has made no difference. I am 9 months post op now, and just wish it would stop, I get really upset every time I wash my hair and there are handfuls in the bath.
Also my depression has got worse, I should be so happy at losing the weight, but my moods have been so low. Did I read on the forum somewhere that as you lose weight hormones are released from the stored fat, and that can affect how you feel?
I also get the dizzy spells too.

Back