• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Loose skin issues

Priesty

Hi,

I know there have been posts about this before but it's really worrying me.:confused:

I am due to have my op before the end of March.:) The only thing on my mind is if I will be left with loads of loose skin. I weigh about 25 stone. I weighed around 19-22 since I was 22 (im now 34) and fell preganant with my first son. I have always been oveweight but it's only when I gave up smoking 4 years ago that I put on about 4 stone and it really started affecting my health.

I have always carried my weight well (until now) and doctors and other people have always been surprised at how much I weigh.

I am 5'5 and am biggest around my hips, tum and bum.

I had 3 caesar sections and have a droopy tummy cause of it. This is where my fear comes in that I am going to end up with my stomach on my knees.

Is loose skin inevitable, is exercising everyday and loofering while showering a way of reducing it significantly.

I don't think I'll ever be able to afford an apronectomy privately and I know to get it on NHS is a hard fight.

Can anyone give me some advice or tell me there stories. Maybe show me some pictures if possible (of course I understand if that's not possible)

Thankyou, sorry for panicking:wave_cry:

Take Care

Paula XX

send me a friends request and you can have alook at mine.
although my loose skin bothers me i would much prefere to be as i am now as to how i was.

Loose skin is not always inevitable, but if your skin's elasticity has gone then no amount of exercise will help it. I am also worried about the excess skin, but hope the health benefits of carrying less weight will outweigh the melted candle look.

I guess though once at target weight, it becomes more about body image and less about health. You might be lucky and not have a problem with it.

I've lost 17 1/2 stone and have lots of loose skin which I hate. I'm much happier now I'm thinner and fitter but excess skin has got to go. If I can't get it done on NHS then private will have to be the way to go. I'm told it will probably cost around the £12,000 mark for the works so I better start saving .......... lol

Hi Paula

Your age is on your side but the fact you already have an overhang is not. Its fairly inevitable that going from 25 stone to goal weight is going to leave you with loose skin all over your body - its a fact of life. However, it might not be as bad as you envisage and a good pair of support knickers could sort you out. If you are having your op on the NHS then you will get a surgical procedure afterwards - there are issues about how long you need to be at goal weight etc but it will happen. Im 8.3 stone down now and have an overhang but its not too horrendous and Im 13 years older than you. Honestly once the weight has come off, you will feel so fab that it wont be that much of an issue

If you are having your op on the NHS then you will get a surgical procedure afterwards - there are issues about how long you need to be at goal weight etc but it will happen.

This really depends on your PCT and many will NOT fund plastics of any kind. Some actually make you sign a disclaimer that you can't have plastics.

I know I will have some , having 17 stone excess weight to lug about when I had the op. To be honest though I was scared more of dying early and leaving my boys too soon, as long as my partner is OK with some saggy skin then I guess I am going to have to be. If it is bad enough that it affects my movement or something medically bad like that then I guess I will apply for a TT on the NHS, I did not get help from them for my WLS though despite my starting BMI so I don't expect I will get very far! If it really affects me , Dean said we will find a way to sort it but I am going to worry about that later I think. In the meantime I am trying to exercise throughout my weightloss as muscle tone definately will help even if it won't avoid it happening.

Hi, I love my new body and am thrilled with my surgery and the new health I have found. I am 36 and have lost 10 stone in the last year. I have loose skin and it bothers me, especially my bat wings as the loose skin is larger than my actual arm so in effect I have 2 extra underarms if you follow. I was suprised how much it bothers me but in all honesty, my tummy & apron are not so bad. It really could have been worse because I have been fat since age 7. I am amazed by how much my thighs, bum, hips and waist have trimmed, I still see inches leaving weekly and I am over a year post-op! I can say that I honestly feel okay about my body but I will want reconstruction of my arms. I also may need a tummy tuck for medical reasons as the overhang is casuing skin irritation that I have been treated for medically with little success. That will be up to my PCT to decide the medical need, otherwise I need to win the lottery, lol. Seriously though, hubby and I have discussed it and we will find a way to fund at least the arm op because I feel really self conscious about them.

Overall, twice the loose skin I currently have would be worth the health & happiness I have now. I am amazed each day how much better I feel and I know I did the right thing. I would have had much of the moving south of my skin over the next 10-15 years anyway as with age comes saggy skin, so basically I would have had bigger bat wings and a larger apron anyway! This way I can wedge myself into a pair of magic knickers and be 10 sizes smaller!

Nic:D

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. Nic you look amazing, I think it has made me realise that the health benefits are worth it. Not that I wasn't going to go through with it but I was worried about how I will look after.

I had no problems until I had my first son and to be honest i think one of the surgeons butchered me at some point. I have no feeling around the bottom of my tummy and I still get irritation where I had an infection 5 years ago after the birth of my last son. I also have what feels like a whole but I think it is where the pleated the skin (for want of a better term) when they stitched me up. Oh and one side hangs a bit lower than the other (go figure)

Before I have my wls I shall mention it too the docs at St Richards dream outcome they offer to do an apronectomy there and then
:4635: well a girl can dream!!

Take Care

Paula

Back