• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Loose Skin

Chuffy_29

I guess this for the post op guys who are far down the line. i wondered if anyone had lost their weight and NOT suffered with loose skin? I lost about 4 stone once before and did a fair bit of exercise (cardio, weights and toning) and had no problems but this time it will be 7 or 8 stone so wondered what the chances were?

So far i've lost just over 9 stone and yes i have some loose skin but nowhere near as bad as i expected given that i'm a 49 year old mum of two and gran of one. Age does play its part as the elasticity of your skin deteriorates with age and pregnancy so i consider myself quite fortunate xx

Hi - I haven't even been approved for surgery yet but I must admit that is my one worry - how much hanging skin will there be. But I'd be happy if I was slim and fitter, even if I had to live in magic knickers! Fingers crossed my skins still got some elastic left in it!

So far i've lost just over 9 stone and yes i have some loose skin but nowhere near as bad as i expected given that i'm a 49 year old mum of two and gran of one. Age does play its part as the elasticity of your skin deteriorates with age and pregnancy so i consider myself quite fortunate xx

oooooooo Allie that's really encouraging! I'm 50 but I do have really good skin......I remember when I lost 3 stones (it was 10 years ago though!) my skin just went with the weight, even my apron just shrank. I'm so hoping the am is going to be true this time.

I haven't had surgery yet... but I cream my skin every day, and have started at the gym already - I am gonna do all I can to avoid it!! ;-)

Pre-op, I had the attitude that I'd far rather be slim, healthy and have excess skin than be the weight I was. The reality of it came as a shock, and has been one of the biggest mental adjustments for me. I'm not saying I'd rather be big, not at all, but I wasn't prepared for how the loose skin would make me feel. I absolutely hate it, I can't stand the sight of myself naked, and still therefore have confidence issues with intimacy. Dressed, I feel slim. Naked, I feel fat. The skin falls in rolls and to my eyes makes me look huge without clothes on. Bathtimes are an emotional nightmare. Trousers don't fit properly because of having to accomodate it. I wouldn't say I have loads either, just more than enough.

So what I'm saying is, be prepared for the skin, for not liking it and for having to adjust to it.

My PCT wants you to maintain a healthy BMI for 2 years before they will consider funding. I'm seeing a dermatologist next month to try and get exceptional circumstances funding, as I am getting infections and sore skin. If not, its only till February and then it will be my 2 years up. Fingers crossed they don't scrap the funding in the meantime!

Thanks everyone.
It's my apron and "bingo wings" that concern me most. If it's really bad i do plan to have an apronectomy (or full tummy tuck) but i think i might start doing some toning stuff. Hopefully as well it's only 8 stone (how ridiculous does that sound!)and i'm still fairly young (in my 30's) it might be ok, but i have 3 kids so there's no telling i guess!

Shell, you look so amazing, glad to hear you are doing what is best for you and I do hope you can get the funding... good luck with that... it's no fun having infections and sore skin...xxx

I am struggling along with my health, but when able, I do try to do my very best... even if it's only moving my toes!

No matter, I just wondered if post op'ers, would recommend that we pre op'ers, should maybe try and tone up before our surgery... to help with the loose skin issue...
it would be helpful to know.

Chuffy I try to get to the toning tables when I can and feel a lot tighter for it... although it doesn't help weight loss... it's gentle enough for me to be able to do this on my good days... (can't go today sadly), but I do feel some benefit.

Would love to know if anyone else is going to the toning tables... I could not manage a gym yet!

Loads of love to you all and good luck on your respective journeys xxx

I still have a long way to go on my journe y but the skin is already a problem - arms, thighs and of course tummy. Think I want surgery afte two years but to be honest I'm a bit afraid of surgery now so will have to see. I'm like Shelby and don't in any way regret the surgery but I want to give a real picture of what can happen - good luck xxx

I was unable to exercise due to all my health problems, so maybe exercise would make a difference.

Chuffy, I was 28 when I had the surgery, and 'only' had just under 10 stone to lose. Not trying to bring you down, just being realistic. I've had 2 children, one pre and one post op, so my tummy muscles are somewhat pathetic lol. My arms are ok, they aren;t perfect but they aren't bad enough to make me seek surgery for them. I would love to have my thighs sorted but I know its not going to happen so am living with that. Skinny jeans weren't high on my list of priorities anyway!

Shell i hope you get your funding to complete your journey. Gon't get me wrong naked i'm not the best but i only occasionally have to wear the "support" underwear and thats only with one particular dress so i consider myself really lucky and i never really fancied doing a "Lady Godiva" hee hee x

Shell, don't worry i like a realistic approach, and if i am ready for the worst at least if it's better it's a bonus! Hopefully you can get your surgery as it sounds like you deserve it.
I think i'll start getting on the exercise now as i know it does tone me up and sounds like i might need that help!

This does not sound right, but hopefully I have all this to come!! There must be a balance somewhere? I am obviously excited to start the weight loss journey and at the moment, loose skin seems a minor point. I know however, that if I get to this position with my body, I will have difficulty just 'accepting' it. There is very little that can help though, apart from drastic ops, maybe 'toning' to a point. Unfortunately at my age, time is against me as the elasticity in my skin is noticeably poor these days!
Speaking to people who are in the position now, I know it can cause a lot of embarassment, especially to the ladies. Yes you can tuck it, roll it, fold it, etc., but then when it comes to the swimming baths, sports, etc., it seems to haunt you! I note what Mixman says about the 'moobs'. I have had them so long now I do not even think about it and I have not lost any weight yet!! But of course I am conscious of the problem, but I am going to have to accept that this will be a small price to pay if I manage to lose most of my extra weight. I am afraid as either overweight people or successful losers, it is like a pennance to remind us of our past eating habits!
Loads' of skin or little skin, best of luck to you all. We should be proud of getting this far. Just keep supporting each other. In a sadistic way, it was sometimes a pleasure getting fat so that I could meet the people I have through this site!!!
Regards - Paul

Paul i already dislike my apron so i know that if it's loose skin and all floppy there's no way i'll accept it! Mind you at least at the ned i'll be lighter and more active so maybe things will change in my head who knows?

I've just put some scar pics up on the scar thread which show some of the loose skin, but even with knicks low down and jeans on you can't really see how bad it really is. Clothes hide so much, as does a front on picture! It does show some of it though.

THanks for being so honest Shel. If need be, I'll save up for the plastics. I'm pretty sure my PCT won't fund it. But being just at the beginning of my weight loss journey, it's all early days yet. Although I don't relish the idea of lots of loose skin, in a way, it's a good problem to have! Because it shows we've lost the weight!

Back