• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Loosing teeth post WLS! Help!!

los in it

My teeth before wls were OK did have some cracked ones at the back and some fillings nothing major but since having my bypass I've cracked two front ones to the point where I've in the last two months had them removed and today had 3back ones taken out I look flipping awful!
I'm getting a partial denture for the top front ones in the next few weeks I can't smile or laugh at anything/ anyone as I currently ( as my lovely sister called me) look like a crack whore :-(
My question is...is this something that can happen post WLS or am I just unlucky, thinning hair I've got but as bad as that on itsown isn't least you can cut it and it should grow back, teeth won't

Hi Los in it. I don't think weight lose has an impact on teeth unless if there is something you are missing in your diet or you are having to much acidic drinks, fruits or sugary food. It's a shame the dentist extracted the teeth and then is asking you to come after a court of weeks. Could they not have done an immediate denture where they give you a denture as soon as they extract the teeth?

Over the years I have spent many many months on VLCD's mainly Lighter Life. My teeth deteriorated rapidly. During that time my sister was a LL consultant so I asked her and she said there was a link but not proven with evidence so not mentioned to customers. I just assumed it was limited to VLCD's as many of them include liquids with sweeteners that would wash around the mouth and between the teeth. Maybe my assumption was wrong and it's just low cal diets???

I was a huge Pepsi fan changed to Pepsi max but still drank loads 6 -8 cans a day when I started my path to WLS I swapped that for fizzy water and didn't miss the taste of Pepsi then finally dropped that for regular water I was told before by my dentist that I had weak teeth so I guess it was already there and I feel it's just speed up or its just down to not having gotten enough calcium in my younger days and as a grown up
The dentist couldn't do an immediate replace as he said the gums need healing and a quick fix is just that and I would need a properly fitted partial denture so I have let the front one heal( already have a fitting and 2nd fitting done should have the finished set very soon)
Oh well it is what it is at least it's getting sorted and I will soon have my smile back

Back