• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sussex Newbie

Graysie

Hi All

Where to start? Well I'm 47 and have been overweight since a teenager and obese since my twenties (Although I lost a lot of weight in my early twenties, but put it all back on and some!) I'm now at my heaviest with BMI of 50.

You name it I've tried it F-plan, Cambridge, WW, Slimming World........I've been a member of every gym in the area (some of them more than once).

I was referred to the Why Weight scheme two years ago and tried WW, attended all the meeting, had the regular advice and weigh in sessions and over the course of the year achieved nothing. I decided that psychotherapy was the way forward and spent a year having private therapy. This was helpful in some ways but didn't help with weight loss.

I had never been keen on WLS thinking I could achieve my goals without it, but after 30 years I realise I was wrong. At 47 my joints are knackered, I have breathing problems and even everyday living is becoming an increasing struggle. I have a mum with chronic heart disease and type 2 diabetes and my sister had her first stroke at 48 - I need to do something now.

I've been to my GP and he has agreed to refer me for WLS, so now I guess the waiting and meetings begin.

I would add that I have two young children (3 and 1) and I worry I won't see them grow up, I already struggle to play with them and be the dad they deserve. My weight has also affected my relationship with my partner worried I might drop dead and leave her alone with the little ones (or perhaps worse become disabled and unable to look after myself or them.)

Did I say my name is Graeme and I'm from Sunny Sussex.:)

Hi Graeme, and welcome. Good luck with your referral. Plenty of great advice on here

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Hello Graeme, wishing you good luck in all you wish for

Hi Graysie,

I am from Crawley :D

Have you been contacted yet for the WLS? Will you need to do the Why Weight thing again?

Creepy Crawley - expect I'll be visiting Tilgate during the holidays :)

Not heard anything yet - but GP thought as I'd completed Why Weight and tried psychotherapy I might not need to do it all again.

Graeme

Creepy Crawley - expect I'll be visiting Tilgate during the holidays :) Not heard anything yet - but GP thought as I'd completed Why Weight and tried psychotherapy I might not need to do it all again. Graeme

Well hopefully you won't need to do it all again - I did year though that you have to have done it within the last year for it to count. Anyway good luck! :)

Hopefully not - I must admit I found the whole process quite patronising. I hoping the fact that I've spent the time since leaving Why Weight having pyschotherapy will help. Did you see JK for your psychotherapy?

Hello Graeme and welcome to the forum.

I come from the London end of Surrey so not too far from you :)

Good luck with your referral - I hope you hear from them shortly. Let us know how you get on.

Hopefully not - I must admit I found the whole process quite patronising. I hoping the fact that I've spent the time since leaving Why Weight having pyschotherapy will help. Did you see JK for your psychotherapy?

Perhaps this will work in your favour! When you say JK I assume you're not referring to Jeremy Kyle!? ;)

Definitely not that JK :rolleyes: but this one was I found to be the most useful member of the team. I'm hoping it will count for something, I feel I've wasted so much time thinking I could lose the weight by myself that I just want to get going. :fingerscrossed:

No, I haven't been seeing JK - but a combination of counsellors - at IPC they only had a counsellor on the first and last session (in my eyes purely to judge you!) but why weight are much better in the respect. I first saw AT but didn't find him very useful the most recent lady is part of the MDT team at ST Richards, she's great and I'm pleased that I'm seeing her.

I have up ages ago thinking I could do it by myself - I can - but I feel like I need help to make it a permanent change. I guess we all feel like that! Hope you hear soon! You can always call why weight to speed things up!?

I think you need to have a link with your counsellor for it to work - it's such an important relationship.

I've always been able to lose a certain amount, but a little voice tells me that the total amount I need will be impossible to lose (14 stone) and I end up back at square one plus some. I think that WLS will be the final part of the jigsaw to quiet that voice and make the weight loss feel achievable.

The problem with alot of counsellors is they arent really listening, they have a book with gives them theories and thats all they know. The best way to deal with a problem is to talk about it and that is the truth, but talking to someone who judges you, tries to diagnose you or just isnt listening is a waste of time.
I over eat, not because of any issue in my life but because i love food, i dont eat to forget, i dont eat to hide i eat because fish and chips taste bloody good!!!!

Back