• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Undiagnosed sleep apnea and surgery?

kirstyjade

I'm very close now to getting my date for surgery and I'm worried because the hospital never gave me a sleep apnea test all they did was ask questions on a form and it was never mentioned again and I'm worried if I do have it and they do surgery can it cause a problem? Could I die? I don't really want to bring up my concerns with them in case they postpone my surgery and do a sleep apnea test?
So really my question is if I have undiagnosed sleep apnea can this cause serious problems during surgery?

You should always voice your concerns whatever they may be so that your team can answer you and put your mind at rest.
I was given a little device like a large wrist watch to wear overnight at home, it was this gizmo that showed I had sleep apnoea, I had also answered the standard questionnaire.
I'm sure your team would test you if they thought it necessary but please let them know it is bothering you and they will reassure you.

Sleep apnoea means you stop breathing at night. If you have it and go under anaesthetic you may stop breathing. Also morphine may further depress your breathing. Yes you can die. Sleep apnoea is a massive risk factor with anesthesia. Even though I was diagnosed I struggled to breathe postop. The morphine made me forget to breathe. So please get checked. Even if it delays your op it may save your life.

Iv got an appointment in a few weeks so I'll mention it to them then, I really don't want my op to be delayed though :(

Hi, I have sleep apnoea and am due to have surgery on the 21st May, my surgeon is aware and I am going into ICU after the surgery, did you have to use your CPAP after surgery and was there anything different, any tips, advice, v v welcome, I am very nervous about the surgery due to the sleep apnoea?

thanks, gems

I took my cpap with me to hospital. Now I know some people who didn't need it immediately post op - I still did. When I reached 19 stone I was able to put it away for good, but again, I know some people who still need to use it forever.

When I reached 19 stone I was able to put it away for good

It is good to know that yours went away Yvessa when you lost weight.

Do you know why it is is not resolved in everyone who loses weight?

Sleep apnoea can be caused by weight pressing
Sorry - it can be caused by weight pressing down on the airway or by a weakness in the windpipe. If it is the latter it may improve with weightloss but may not go away.

Some providers do not routinely order sleep apnoea tests (just like many dont scope you first either). The form they gave you would have been part of your screening, providing you were honest on it, they will have picked up on whether it was a possibility. Remember no surgeon (or more still anesthetist) would operate unless they thought you would be safe. They do not want it on their statistics! Do you feel you have the symptoms of sleep apnoea?

I'm going to be controversial, but if you think you have this why would you not want it checked out??? All you are concerned about is moving the date of your op, which could be a huge risk if its undiagnosed???

Some hospitals test for it others don't and just ask screening questions. You seem to be saying that you think its a possibility so get it checked out or it ups the risks of the operation and I can't understand how ANYONE would want to take that risk.

Hmm this is interesting.. I am going Private and I don't think so many private patients get anything like the same screening process as NHS. I was only asked if I thought I had Sleep Apnoea.. I said I didn't. When I met the pre-op Bariatric nurse yesterday she said "do you wake up suddenly in the night" I said not really. I hope I haven't got it but I was never tested for it and I have no idea if I have it!

If you're worried google epworth test and take it. If you score high go see your gp.

I have sleep apnea and its not a problem until after surgery you just need to take your cpap machine in with you I have had it 15 years now and it's not a problem
The test is quite simple you wear a watch like device over night go back the next day and then they will issue a temporary cpap machine you go back the following week and collect yours
You must get this done before your op tho please don't worry if it delays it for a couple of months because its all about making it safe for you
I do understand how you feel but please don't get upset
Please get it looked into the quicker the better
I used to stop breathing for 5-9 mins at a time always had a headache and bad mouth in a morning I snored a lot too
Take care
Mark

Back