• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lunch ideas + other life stuff

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Firstly -- any ideas for high protein lunch options for those of us who are at work full time Monday - Friday with limited options for buying / taking lunch in?

-- There is NO microwave at work so nothing hot
-- There is a fridge

I have lapsed recently and sandwiches have been reappearing in my items consumed. I had intended to give up bread entirely this year, but the difficulty of buying lunch "on the run" when there is so little choice in regular shops (Boots, M&S, Tesco Metro, etc) of SMALL food items that will not be wayyyyyy too big and a stupid waste of money .....

The "Other stuff" bit
Also, I am under a bit of stress at the moment due to having decided to move from Dawlish to Exeter in the next two weeks. It has been costing me too much time and travel expense commuting from Dawlish to Exeter and lovely as Dawlish is, it is a bit too sleepy for me.

It didn't take me long to realise I would be much better off living in Exeter city centre and walking to work (will gain about £200 a month in not paying train, bus and taxi fares) -- and gain 2 hours a day extra time, with only a 20 minute walk to work. :)

This has all been sorted, current landlord has agreed to release me early from the current lease (at the moment she can find a new tenant during August whereas if I stayed to the end of the 6 month tenancy she would be looking for a new tenant in December -- not a great time!) ..... and I have found a new flat to move to in central Exeter, and that is going ahead on Saturday 18 August.

But the added stress of organising everything is not helping me stay focussed and on track at the moment ..... I am trying to cut out the bread and hope that I will be back on track as soon as I have moved as I will be much closer to the leisure centre and other exercise classes (everything will be within walking distance).

If I struggle I take a protein shake with me x

i take a protein bar :) i also take a slim fast i make at home and put it in the fridge at work and i have that mid afternoon so i have had about 30 grms protein while at work :) good luck

I used to make up a full tray of roast veg and mix with houmous when it was cooked and put into a box. Ready made meat from the supermarket and just put both in a small box to take with me. Can be eaten cold and yummy.
Could do the same with salad.

Quinoa salads (make as you would rice or pasta salad, quinoa is high in protein), cheese and ham roll ups, cold meat & crackers, hummous and crudités, salad with fish or cold meat, wraps or pittas are a better alternative to sandwiches. Bulgar wheat/ebly/couscous salads.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I take a cumber, pack of Philly n pack smoked salmon n top the cuecumber with it, tasty and nutritious, i also take ptawns/crabsticks Philly n melba toast or krisprolls, breadless sandwiches (stuffed slices of meat ...

Salads - tuna, chicken, beef, prawns etc. Easy to pick up at m&s, tescos but watch out for added calories in dressings. Good luck with the move. :)

Ryvitas or crackerbread kept at work, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese, prawns, tuna or whatever you like on them kept in the fridge. Bottle of low fat mayo or salad cream. Get a cheap tinopener and bring in a bit of cutlery if needed.
Just one idea sharon, trying to think of some others?

Kim

Just discovered making wraps with a large lettuce leave yummy. I can't tollerate but others uggest thin omelette or thin lices of ham too. If you can afford then thin slices of smoked salmon also can be used as wraps.Also life saver for me French & Melba toasts & lite laughing cow cheese triangles. My vanilla protein shakes (PhD) made up with milk are great but you would need to make up before work or night before as I use blender as find shaker just doesn't do the job of mixing. If you can tolerate celery then peanut bitter or low fat Philly spread down the stick is nice too.

Sorry spelling mistakes terrible iPad crazy!

I am the queen of little plastic tubs and cling film. And wander into my branches each day swinging my little spotted pink sandwich bag. Don't think I have ever bought a lunch out while working since I had my op 13 months ago. Saved a fortune. And allows me to have my skinny latte treats more often.

Traditional Salad with cooked meat, tuna cheese or eggs. Ryvitas or crackers with the same. Ebly wheat salad with lots of chopped up celery, green beans, mint, parsley, sundries toms and olives ... With of course whatever protein floats my boat that day. teeny picnic pittas with salad and protein. Chopped up fruit or crudités. And of course, yoghurts upon yoghurts. Always have cup a soups and ryvitas/marmite in my drawer if I fancy a snack, and options hot chocolate drinks in my handbag should I have the urge for something really sweet. I am always prepared as that helps me keep on the straight and narrow 95% of the time and enjoy guilt free my treats the rest of the time. You can tell I was a girl guide!

Last edited:
I am the queen of little plastic tubs and cling film. And wander into my branches each day swinging my little spotted pink sandwich bag. Don't think I have ever bought a lunch out while working since I had my op 13 months ago. Saved a fortune. And allows me to have my skinny latte treats more often.

Traditional Salad with cooked meat, tuna cheese or eggs. Ryvitas or crackers with the same. Ebly wheat salad with lots of chopped up celery, green beans, mint, parsley, sundries toms and olives ... With of course whatever protein floats my boat that day. teeny picnic pittas with salad and protein. Chopped up fruit or crudités. And of course, yoghurts upon yoghurts. Always have cup a soups and ryvitas/marmite in my drawer if I fancy a snack, and options hot chocolate drinks in my handbag should I have the urge for something really sweet. I am always prepared as that helps me keep on the straight and narrow 95% of the time and enjoy guilt free my treats the rest of the time. You can tell I was a girl guide!
Thanks for the post Michelle. I notice you have salad for lunch (and other times?) - presuming you cope well with this. I had read salad was difficult which concerned me because I love salad, spinach leaves, etc. How long was it before you had salad? T xxx

I love salad and veg loads. I have to try to concentrate on eating the protein first as my preference is the green stuff. Tomato was difficult to begin with for some reason, but I ate most veg/salad from the moment I was back on solid food. Iceberg is easier than spinach leaves, as I think spinach is more fibrous. Likewise savoy cabbage and broccoli take far more effort to eat. Apple is another thing I eat now that I didn't used to do, but I have half an apple with the skin left on, sliced really thinly, as otherwise the skin can get stuck.

Thanks for all the ideas peeps. I do take (ready-made) protein shakes to work sometimes and probably will be doing so for the next 10 days until moving day, for ease and convenience.

Once I have moved I will start getting my act together preparing my own lunches with some of your ideas and storing them in the fridge at work.

After the move I will have an extra 2 hours a day for myself and will be able to leave my flat between 8.30 am and 8.45 am and stroll to work in less than 15 minutes (hoorah!) so that should give me time to prepare salads and things properly.

:)

There is a little salad bar in the passage next to boots. You get to choose exactly what you want put in it. They are very good value and one of their boxes will last you a couple of days.

There is a little salad bar in the passage next to boots. You get to choose exactly what you want put in it. They are very good value and one of their boxes will last you a couple of days.

Thanks v mucho for the Exeter insider info !!

I have not tried all the alleyways and passages so that is very useful.

I am loving your positivity Sharon. Seems from reading, that the change of job, and accommodation TWICE is giving you lots of things to focus on. After a two hour commute each way to work today, I envy you, being able to have a 15 minute to work. Best of luck xx

When we're any of you ok eating bread, biscuits, wraps, tortillas? Anyone ever have a pastry? 3 weld post op. I eat very little, but wouldnind a bite or two of bread.

Back