• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

luton after care what a joke

tray

well as a lot of you know i have been struggling with not losing much weight the past couple of months, so anyway, luton called me to moan that i hadnt been to see them for a while, and i told them how i was feeling with regards to being able to eat a ,and how i was feeling, as in getting down and needing some help, maybe a bit of counselling, as i have had a lot of problems with food since i was a kid,

well, got told you really need to come and see us, so we can give you some help and take your bloods, as your own gp wont know how to help you,even tho my own gp had taken the same bloods a couple of weeks ago, as i told him i didnt want to go all the way to luton just for blood test,

got to luton at 11 am and when i was seen the woman was a right stuck up b**ch, i told her how i was feeling and all i got was well, i dont know what to say , if your not losing weight its coz your over eating(no s**t sherlock) and then i said about how i need help for the emotional side, and she told me well it is just a tool and for some people it doesnt work. i was in there just 10 mins and was sent home, NEVER EVER AGAIN will i go to luton the after care is crap to say the least. oh and i just asked what does ur bmi have to be at to have a tummy tuck, as i have a lot of lose skin now, and she actually laughed, and said youll be lucky to get that done now, as the pct arent doing tummy tucks any more, well in a few months im going to ask my own gp about it.

so anyone having there op at luton dont expect anything much in the way of after care.:mad:

also i was told to stay of these web sites as there no good, and will only depress you, as some people will like to exageerate about how much they have lost,:eek: i told her thats rubbish, as i have seen the photos of some of the people and they have lost the weight. she said well if you hadnt of gone on these sites, you would of been happy with your weight lose, as there wouldnt of been anything to compare yourself to.:mad::mad::mad:

so the 2 hour drive there was a waste of time and fuel. what a bloody joke, so now i am sorting myself out with trying to eat more protein and exercise more so hopefully it will kick start me into losing again ...,..,...:)

((hugs)) sorry you've had such a bad time and inadequate support from your team. Atleast it sounds like your GP is supportive.

Have you considered the 5 day pouch test? If you google it you'll find the full site, I can't post the link as they have their own forum, but it is well worth a read. In the meantime if I can help in any way please shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

good on you girl! id av told her me - she sounds like a right stuck up cow! moooooooooooo!
id contact pals me and get them to look into things for you - explain exactly how you feel and whats been going off - maybe then they might do something about there after care! also.... why dont you write a letter to your surgeon - its easier to put it in writing exactly how you feel sometimes and it gives you time to think about what you want to say and make sure youve said everything you want too - see what your actuall surgeon says becuase hes the one that did the op - he would prefer you to be a sucess than a failure because it looks bad on him! take it higher luv - fight for what your entitled too!

gosh, thats awful, wishing you luck sweets xx

I haven't had the greatest aftercare either. Mine has mostly been cancelled appointments and a dietician who said he didn't know how to help. But at least no one has been nasty to me.

That's really horrible - and these sites are amazingly supportive - they should be recommending them not complaining about them.

I hope you get the help you need from your GP.

Some hospitals are really reallllllllllly crap at aftercare and it seem you were unlucky getting Luton! Its really bad to just expect people to manage on their own after such a life altering op. I hope you manage to sort things out yourself and you know you can always come on here and ask some of the more experienced bypassers for advice (HUG) XX

Not acceptable at all. Pals all the way. The fact u told her how u was feeling and her response "she didnt know wot too say", well to say that is totally unprofessional, she could have least made enquiries or pointed u in the right direction fgs..............

im going to talk to my gp about getting some counseling, i know we get our stomach made smaller but our brains are still the same . shame we cant have a brain op ..lol

I agree Tray, I think we should get some kind of therapy to help with the mental side of weight issues. The psychologist we see before surgery is really only to see if we are thinking the right way about the surgery but we need help after surgery too......weight issues are far more emotional isses than physical issues to some of us. I hope the GP helps XX

Oh my god,how unprofessional of that woman!
I'm very sorry tray,I hope things get better for you x
Take care

This is awful. I saw a psychologist pre-op and was also offered counselling post-op if I needed it. I haven't as it happened, but the offer was there.
What a waste of money to do the op and then not follow through with good after-care.

Sending huge hugs your way Tray.

Grace xxx

let us know hw you get on luv!

Good luck Tray and I'm so pleased you are keeping in touch, wishing you all the very best of everything as always xxx

God Tray thats awful - do you know what the womans name is ? I'm at Luton too and I want to avoid seeing her !!! The dietician that I've seen was really nice and said she thinks these forums are great for the support they offer - weird how opinions differ even at the same hospital.

Hope your GP can help.

Angela xx

Hi Tray,

I am glad to see that you did not give up-but rather let her unprofessional-integrity lacking-inhumane self inspire you to keep TRYING! :)

It is frightening at times the folks which are "in charge" of our health. The thing is-and I am sure you are finding this...we have got to be our own advocates.

Weight loss surgery is still relatively new in the scheme of things. Add that to the fact that there is still quite a bit of prejudice having to do with obesity and add one more helping to this mix of having folks who may be incorrectly educated about WLS and you've got quite a flimsy excuse for care indeed.

Luckily-we have the internet. GPs and even Surgeons are trained practitioners but they may not be trained at all in aftercare.

I have read somewhere-will try and find it-that the hours of training needed for this area are MINIMAL!!

Absolutely find yourself a therapist. They are a goldmine of support and help. And of course-only tummy surgery not brain surgery (how I wish though! LOL).

And you know...about her comments of online groups? Um-OK..I can go with the fact that sometimes we may get caught up in comparing ourselves. But-the help, education and support which lives here is without doubt-the MOST important thing we have to keep us informed, hopeful and healthy.

My 2 pence worth!

Hugs and YOU keep on keeping on!

Tracy don't let the buggars get you down girl...

As you know i'm one of the slow losers and sometimes i am surprised at how much i can eat, and the fact that sometimes i can eat again 2-3 hours later...

I know you'll think i'm sad, but i'm taking myself off to weight watchers tonight (i've been threatening it for ages) because i need the rigidity of it. I know your like me and can eat crap without dumping, maybe you should think of trying this? I know we don't go through life threatening surgery to go to a slimming club, but one of the main reasons i struggled at w/w before was the fact that i could eat my points every day (quite easily), now i don't think i'll manage to over eat :)

Good luck g/f and if you want me look out for me on fb x

What an awful way to treat another human being.

I too have been treated very badly by different disciplines at different hospitals - and it is so belittling and demoralising.

In fact I was once told to go away and get a job I liked, a boyfriend and a decent sex life and my backache would disappear - by a consultant. I'd gone to him with an abnormal MRI scan for advise after a work related back injury.

No bright advice - other than PALS - and getting counselling through your GP - ( by the way I don't think Huddersfield are doing plastics post-WLS either)

But sending you hugs

xx

Back