• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Managing potential vitamin deficiency post-op

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
I was wondering what experiences you lovely 'losers' have had with post-op vitamin deficiency?

How do you manage it? Do you take supplements?

Hi Red :)

I take (under my surgeons orders) -

Calcichew
Ferrous Fumerate
Forceval (multi-vit/mineral)
Selenase & Zincosol (for hair loss)
Zoton (antacid)
3-monthly vitamin B12 injections

With the exception of the selenase and zincosol I've been on the rest since discharge.

Hiya
I have not had my gastric bypass yet, but i was told once i have had it i would need to take supplements for life. Have i got this right?? When i saw my GP, i asked her if she would prescribe them to me as i am paying private for the op- and she said she would if they wrote to her telling her exactly what to precribe.
Anyway, i am sure somone who has had the op will reply and tell you for definate!;)
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Hiya

When you have a gastric bypass you have to take certain things everyday for the rest of your life.

Although missing a day here or there doesnt give problems as your body holds enough stuff in it to last a fair while.

But what we have to take is....

Iron about 200 mg a day
Calcium 2x tabs a day
Multi Vits with minerals
Every 3 months b12 injection
For the first 4 to 6 weeks high protein drinks.

And for the first 2 months anti acid tabs untill your all healed and stomach is stronger to food stuffs.

Besides that just a healthy diet

Hope this helps

Mark

Edit Shel beat me to it :p blast my slow fat fingers :D

:eek: all of them?! wow!! is there not just one tablet we can take!?!?!

No lol, you need all of them. But this is the best bit...

Can't take iron at same time as calcium
Can't take calcium at same time as zincosol
Can't take selenase at same time as iron
As forceval contains iron, can't take that with selenase or calcium

So they have to be spread out through the day!

No lol, you need all of them. But this is the best bit...

Can't take iron at same time as calcium
Can't take calcium at same time as zincosol
Can't take selenase at same time as iron
As forceval contains iron, can't take that with selenase or calcium

So they have to be spread out through the day!

Poor you :( i read that some people have probs taking them together mainly with the liquid iron and calcium. But rare with tablet iron /bless :cry:

But i guess im lucky i just wake up take all my tabs and im done for the day

Iron and calcium shouldn't be taken together as they are contra-indicative Frosty, one prevents absorption of the other. It should say about it on your patient leaflets. All of the ones listed above are contra-indications, not just me :D I'd love to take them all together!

I'm on liquid iron, its sugar free unlike tablets, is more easily absorbed post op, and doesn't cause any bowel problems. Am suprised more post bypass people aren't on it!

Iron and calcium shouldn't be taken together as they are contra-indicative Frosty, one prevents absorption of the other. It should say about it on your patient leaflets. All of the ones listed above are contra-indications, not just me :D I'd love to take them all together!

I'm on liquid iron, its sugar free unlike tablets, is more easily absorbed post op, and doesn't cause any bowel problems. Am suprised more post bypass people aren't on it!

The doc said to me that its only the liquid Iron that stops the Calcium from being taken in. But the coated iron taken with chewable calcium is ok as they obsorb at diffrent rates.

Ill ask my main doctor see what he says . if your right and my normal doc is mistaken ill take mine at night :p

Thanks for the heads up on that food for thought

Im guessing im ok though as my 2 blood tests from the reasearch center have come up good.

Ill keep you posted

Oh blimey what a palava!! I have lots of tablets to take anyway due to pain, i hope i can take them with them because i am very bad at remembering to take them!:eek: It would need to be with breakfast, lunch, etc; -i would need some sort of prompt!! :rolleyes:
Ooohh just realised the time- got to go and brush my teath and get ready 4 work!!!:D
Xxx Lizzie xxX

The doc said to me that its only the liquid Iron that stops the Calcium from being taken in. But the coated iron taken with chewable calcium is ok as they obsorb at diffrent rates.

Ill ask my main doctor see what he says . if your right and my normal doc is mistaken ill take mine at night :p

Thanks for the heads up on that food for thought

I'm sure your doc knows better than me, it might just be cos I'm on the liquids, thought I read it on the calcichew leaflet though, but I am frequently wrong :D

I'm sure your doc knows better than me, it might just be cos I'm on the liquids, thought I read it on the calcichew leaflet though, but I am frequently wrong :D

Ive learnt in my time that women are not always right but NEVER wrong :D:D:D:D

Ill let you know what i find out

Hiya

When you have a gastric bypass you have to take certain things everyday for the rest of your life.

Although missing a day here or there doesnt give problems as your body holds enough stuff in it to last a fair while.

But what we have to take is....

Iron about 200 mg a day
Calcium 2x tabs a day
Multi Vits with minerals
Every 3 months b12 injection
For the first 4 to 6 weeks high protein drinks.

And for the first 2 months anti acid tabs untill your all healed and stomach is stronger to food stuffs.

Besides that just a healthy diet

Hope this helps

Mark

My instructions are as above including shels but the antacids 2 a day fro 6 months athen 1 a day for life.
HC

Mine is the same and HC's, I have had the antiacids before and they are really good means I can eat beans and not get any side affects if you know what I mean....xx

Nope, aside from prescription charges of course, but I have a prepayment card which has saved me a fortune.

I already have a prepayment certificate it works out really cheap so I will continue with that, hopefully if I can stop my bp meds at some point then I may reconsider but my GP is very good at giving a few months supply at a time...xx

Back