• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Manchester / Salford Divide ?!?!?!?!

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
I am in Manchester (irlam) But come under the PCT of Salford meaning I have to g through a 6 month weight management course before I get anywhere near a surgery.
But if I were under Mcr I woudl be under the Nice guidlines
I just think it is so unfair, I have been overweight most my life why do I have to go through 6 months of courses
Fed up
x

Hi
Have you been to see the dietician? I come under Salford PCT and was told the same thing but because I had had a long standing weight problem, tried Xenical, Weight Watchers, Slimminf World etc etc I didn't have to go through this process.
Have you got your appt to see Dr New yet?

Hi
No just another appointment again with the dietician she said there was no way that I would get out of teh 6 month weight management even though I have been on xenical 3 years.
I have had no other appointments she told me that I would get an appointment after the 6 months and to look that i woudl have had teh op in 12 months so at the latest next oct ./ nov
I just feel that i am wasting yet another 6 months of my life when I know what I want and know what it means
does that make sence
xx

By the way I have just read your weight loss WELL DONE xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you!!

I know it's a bummer that you have to wait so long but it will probably go quite fast. The main thing is to keep your spirits up and know that it will be coming one day.
Could i ask what your BMI is?
Cx

HI
yes its 46
x

Perhaps I didn't have to do the weight management because mine was over 50 when I first went. It's so unfair though just for the sake of a few BMI points.
There's a lady on here called Hopeless Case who recently had her bypass, she may be able to shed more light on teh current process for you as it has changed since I had mine even though it was only July.
Sorry I can't really help further but I wish you lots of luck and stay positive!! :)

Hi I am in Salford & was told I would have to go through the 6 months as well but I begged and pleaded my case and she referred my after 2 months (she said she had check with her bosses and reviewed my file). I went through with her how I had taken every drug under the sun and had actually managed to gain. My BMI was 42 when I started my wls journey and it shot up to 45 by the time I had my surgery.

I know it is a bummer but it goes faster than you think plus it gives you time to get your head sorted. I am 5 weeks out now from my bypass and even though it took a while to get here (18 months of slogging along) I am very happy that things happened when they did! Chin up, you will be ready to go to surgery in a flash.;)

Hiya did i hear my name. My understanding of the situation for salford is like you say you have to attend a 6 month course but if yr BMI is 50 or above you qualify for surgery without having to do the 6 months.
Look at the course as a stepping stone and embrace what it offers. WLS isnt easy you have to be prepared and constantl thinking ahead of the game. An example is for me today i started out well with baked stuffed tomato with egg and cheese that i did yesturday. I then had to take my son to have his dressings changed and run him into work left home at 9. Nurse was running late by 55 mins Luckly I had taken a bottle of water with me. Then an hour to work and back. had a meeting at 11.30 and had a coffee there. I had planned on calling in at home to grab something to eat befor my meeting. Out of that meeting at 12.30 but was booked for a test drive at 1pm. Had another coffee whilst at the garage got home at 2.30pm and had a fish pie that i had also cooked yesturday befor i was back out on the road at 3.15 to meet a new family i am going to be working with. Knowing that i was going straight from there to collect my son and knowing it would take longer in rush hour i grabbed some tuna mayo in a tub befor leaving home because i knew i would need something. Finally got home at 7pm and grabbed some frozen items out of the freezer for my tea. Mashed potato, carrot, lamb in gravy and cauliflower. All theses were cooked last week and portioned ready for a day like today when just 1 thing the nurse running over threw me out for the day. In the past i would of called in at the gaurage and grabbed a sandwich or the pie shop for a pastie whilst on the go but that isnt an option at the moment.
The dietition looks at eating habits, nutrition which compleatly changes after WLS etc.
I realise its not what you wanted to hear from your health proffesionals but it will soon pass and your time will be here befor you know it.
Take care
HC

Back