• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Meal timing

Hey folks..

hoping someone will be able to advise.. know this is going to sound really dumb question to ask but what is the longest anyone post-op has gone between a meal - regardless of operation had?

Am getting a little concerned that I'm going too long between mine and not actually getting the right amount of calories etc.. am trying to keep fluids up but at the minute - and for the last few days - have been off colour and had put it down to that mostly..

take today..
breakfast - what breakfast.. never feel hungry in the morning.. had bad night so slept til just after 12 noon :sigh:

lunch was a small fist sized jacket potato with chicken and bacon snadwich filler on top - @ 45g - which I ate just after 1pm..

and have just had a tesco light mediterrenean tomato flavour cup-a-soup 20 minutes ago because I knew I had to.. not necessarily because I felt hungry.. :cry:

anyone else had this problem?

routine is the key even if your not used to routine then make a routine time & plan to eat then your body will get used to eating at certain times a day and it will become second nature, the body is a complex thing train it and it can and will ajust. successfull banders are the people that eat 3 meals a day & no snacking xxx

I'm not even snacking though Liz. I just don't feel the need to eat so keep putting meals off til the next one and then the next one if you know what I mean.

hi gaynor, this is a one i can not answer as banders are usually hungry and normally count the mins/seconds down until the next meal time, why do you feel this way is it just because you dont feel hunger ?

liz x

I think its old habits Liz. I used to be like it when I worked as I never had time to sit and eat a meal untill I'd finished work at 11pm. I only ate once a day then so I guess old habits die hard. I must try and get into some kind of routine though otherwise I'm not going to succeed with the band.

hey gaynor dont u say things like that hun ! you will succeed with your band, old routines are hard to break and everyones life is different regarding work times ect, you will do well with your band i have no doubt about that hun xxx

so glad it isn't just me then Beth..

I haven't snacked, don't snack.. just dont feel the need to eat..

don't know if its because am feeling off colour due to sinus infection and feeling as though have summer flu but all I know is that it had started to concern me as it's been happening since before my first fill (july 2nd).. and considering have managed to drop from 19st 12 on may 1st to 18st 2 now.. dont think am doing too bad.. I have never ate breakfast properly since I was 19yrs old..

strange isn't it.. eating less now than ever did before because of the band, exercising when have the energy but not eating as often but weight still coming off.. it's hard trying to work out whats going on..

ho hum.. am sure things will regulate eventually.. just wondered how long in between was classed as too long.. I don't believe in eating to the clock or when I don't feel hungry.. if still feel same nxt week, think will ring my dietician and speak to her..

thanks anyways to repliers..

in amongst the paperwork I got from the dietician last week it said not to go any longer than 4 hours between meals.

yesterday I didn't eat until 1pm because the gas men came early to service my boiler (I usually have breakfast around 8am but had slept late as they weren't due till after 12pm) so what happened was I found myself picking throughout the day, even after I'd had my meals :eek: my Hubby was on my case last night as it's the first time I've done it since the op...it was naughty of me :whoopass:

so, I'm guessing the 4 hour rule (as per THG )is to stop the bingeing happening perhaps?

Just as general advice on eating, not specific to band, bypass or sleeve you should never skip breakfast as it does jump start your metabolism after hours of sleeping. Also any more than 4 hours between meals and you are technically fasting which is very bad for the sleepy metabolism most obese people struggle with.

So even if you only have a small pot of yogurt, a piece of fruit or a couple of crackerbreads have something to eat in the morning. Same applies to eating every four hours, if you know you aren't up for a meal make sure to have a little healthy something every 4 hours. You will find your energy levels throughout the day higher, better weightloss due to the stimulation of your metabolism and the buidling of a healthy routine.

A healthy lifestyle is more than cutting things out (junk food, binge eating, etc), sometimes it is about adding things in!

HTH,
Nic

gr8 advice nic x

Just as general advice on eating, not specific to band, bypass or sleeve you should never skip breakfast as it does jump start your metabolism after hours of sleeping. Also any more than 4 hours between meals and you are technically fasting which is very bad for the sleepy metabolism most obese people struggle with.

So even if you only have a small pot of yogurt, a piece of fruit or a couple of crackerbreads have something to eat in the morning. Same applies to eating every four hours, if you know you aren't up for a meal make sure to have a little healthy something every 4 hours. You will find your energy levels throughout the day higher, better weightloss due to the stimulation of your metabolism and the buidling of a healthy routine.

A healthy lifestyle is more than cutting things out (junk food, binge eating, etc), sometimes it is about adding things in!

HTH,
Nic

Hi Nic

im having this trouble too at the moment, Im constantly feeling sick and being sick after most main meals. I am on anti sickness medicine and am trying to eat little and often but its not working. I feel awful, have got an emergency appointment at Walsall on Monday to see Mr Khan and Anna too. Anna did say that they may want to do an endoscopy as i am being sick so much. Im not eating enough at all but am trying to! Im only eating little bits so its not that that's making me sick all the time or eating too fast. Im on fortimel and sloppies again till ive been to Walsall on Monday :cry:

It's not so much that I skip breakfast - I never feel hungry as I wake.. I haven't felt hungry upon waking for a lot of years now, it isn't so much I don't eat brekfast through choice - more because I'm just not hungry at all.. I now eat when my stomach tells me am hungry and that I need to eat rather than eating because the clock says 'time to eat'.. I don't nibble or snack as that - to me - is a waste of my time, the time my surgeon took to put the band in and the whole reason for this journey.. If I were to eat 'to the clock' - then I'd end up eating more and never feel empty so would lose the 'sense of hunger' because it wouldn't be there..

I've spoken to my gp previously about this same problem/issue and he's told me that providing am not missing all meals, the weight is still reducing and that I have energy needed to do what is necessary throughout the day - then its fine. It is something my body has adjusted to and not to worry providing any meals are healthy and am having plenty of fluids..

my concern at the moment is more that am feeling fuller for longer and therefore not actually eating '4 meals a day' - at the moment - am on 2 meals a day with plenty of fluids.. am just concrened that am going too long in between.. so do I reduce what meals I am having - so therefore feel hungry quicker.. or stay as I am and hope it sorts itself out?

Back