• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

meds and pre op diet

starr

very happy post opper
just a quicky ,i checked with my hospital about if its ok to carry on with co codamol on the pre op liver diet leading up to surgery , which they said was no problem,,but now im needing strong anti biotics cocktail peniciilin and metrodiazole??for 2 weeks ,has anyone been on them prior to their ops and is it likely to cause any problems ?,,,i will ofcourse check with docs ,but just interested if anyone had any advice as i think they are sometimes given to help fatty livers ,so hoping its a double whammy !,hope everyones well and having a great day xxxxx

Starr,

I know of penicillin and metronidazole being used post op for surgery involving the bowel as they are the 'best' combination for combating aerobic and anaerobic bacteria (those from inside the bowel itself and those from outside the body that can get in through surgery). It may be possible that your team have decided to try and reduce your bacteria count in advance of your procedure.

Metronidazole can make some people very nauseaus and even vomit so better to take at the same time as a meal and avoid any alcohol - though you probably will be doing that anyway because of the liver shrinkage diet!!

Tatiana

Hi Starr, No idea about the antibiotics, sorry, but just checking in to say I hope you are OK. :) What a time to need extra meds :eek: . Take care, peanut x

i have the anti biotics for an on going probl;em, had a parotid gland surgery which flares up,they are revolting ,make me sick every time x so they are just being careful with the anti biotics i think really,,thanks tatiana xx,hi denise ,just so scared of something stopping my op ,,,the paranoia will annoy ya eh? lol x

Do they not flood your body with anti biotics during surgery, to avoid infections, so it should be ok. Good luck with surgery.

Back