• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Men - abdominoplasty after WLS

Rob2134

Hey people,

It’s been two years now since I had a Mini Gastric Bypass. I’ve lost 95KG now in total and my new weight is 75KG - I’m super pleased with this & I’ve actually become a competitive amateur cyclist in the process....something I couldn’t even dream of in the past!

I’m super super lucky in that I have a fairly muscular build so I don’t have any loose skin anywhere apart from my lower abdomen. It’s not loads but it’s bothering me, especially when wearing very tight race cut cycling gear.

So I’m scheduled to have a full abdominoplasty surgery (tummy tuck) on June 19th and I’d like to hear any thoughts & opinions from any other men who have had this procedure?

In particular I’d like to know about the abdominal muscle tightening - did this make any significant difference to your core strength and did it make your abdominal muscles seem more pronounced/visible?

How many inches did you drop off your waist? I’m a 30 inches right now so I’m not really looking for a huge loss - just curious!

Do you have any tips for recovery? Was it very painful for the first few days? How long did you take off from work?

Apologies for the many many questions! I’m just a mixture of nerves & excitement right now!

Thank you in advance for any advice :)

J

Jonicorn

Hey Rob, Wondering how your op went and would like to congratulate you on all of your achievements. Well done :)

Rob2134

Hey Rob, Wondering how your op went and would like to congratulate you on all of your achievements. Well done :)

Hi! Thanks for your warm words!

Well I’m 17 days post op now........it’s been an experience. It’s definitely a bigger and more complex surgery to recover from than I thought.

After my bypass I was virtually recovered in days but the tummy tuck has been very hard to recover from. I’ve had a lot of fluid build up that’s had to be aspirated/drained - it’s called a seroma. It’s not fun to deal with. I’ve had it drained three times now but it’s a fairly common complication. But again, it’s one I didn’t give much thought to pre-op.....and I should have!

The abdomen is a massive improvement aesthetically but I’m still having regrets, which I’ve read is normal after plastic surgery. I’m sure in a few months when all the swelling has gone I’ll be feeling much better!

I would say that for anybody else getting this done - have your GP prescribe you some sleeping tablets. The first few days post op are incredibly painful and you have to sleep nearly sat up with your legs raised. If it wasn’t for the sleeping tablets the first few days would have been much worse.......and this heat, that doesn’t help!

Bling Babe

Glad it’s all done now, I would imagine it is blooming painful but I’m sure in time you’ll have no regrets, take it easy x

Maria61

Well I’m 17 days post op now........it’s been an experience. It’s definitely a bigger and more complex surgery to recover from than I thought.

After my bypass I was virtually recovered in days but the tummy tuck has been very hard to recover from. I’ve had a lot of fluid build up that’s had to be aspirated/drained - it’s called a seroma. It’s not fun to deal with. I’ve had it drained three times now but it’s a fairly common complication. But again, it’s one I didn’t give much thought to pre-op.....and I should have!

The abdomen is a massive improvement aesthetically but I’m still having regrets, which I’ve read is normal after plastic surgery. I’m sure in a few months when all the swelling has gone I’ll be feeling much better!

I would say that for anybody else getting this done - have your GP prescribe you some sleeping tablets. The first few days post op are incredibly painful and you have to sleep nearly sat up with your legs raised. If it wasn’t for the sleeping tablets the first few days would have been much worse.......and this heat, that doesn’t help!
Hope you feel better Rob. I am looking into a tummy tuck too. Did you have to be a certain BMI before you could get it done xx

Emma1504

I am sure once you are pain free & back to your normal routine you will have no regrets. Hang in there you got this x

J

Jonicorn

Oh I imagine the procedure to be very invasive. Anything involving taking part of your body away is definitely complicated. Well done for doing it and I’m sure you’ll have no regrets once it’s healed :)

Sarnie

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Just think in a short while you'll be all healed and admiring your knew body, then the pain would have made it all worth while. Take care x

Rob2134

Hope you feel better Rob. I am looking into a tummy tuck too. Did you have to be a certain BMI before you could get it done xx

Hi, they prefer that your BMI is under 30, not just for aesthetic reasons but due to the fact that higher BMI attracts higher surgical risks. But it’s most important that your weight has been stable for at least 6 months - as in no gain but also no losses.